Beginners and Beyond

Another Wet Penguin Weekend (Read 14 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

At least, it's pouring here, and I think it's probably pouring on Jill and HopesMom.  I'm probably taking the day off, though I may go ride the stationary bike if I start getting cabin fever.  Not sure if I dare do yoga after my last attempt.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I ran with Kristin - not a pw by about 30 seconds Tongue the don't pw mantra kept me going even when my back was really hurting.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon.  Slept in a lot and was much needed.  10 TM miles tonight.

Ginny, I think the trial went well but it's hard to prove intent to defraud except for prior acts (once a liar, always a liar).  I think with his current embezzling conviction, and a second alias, together with the times I read into the record of him lying to the bankruptcy trustee at a deposition, will show he was lying about forgetting to disclose certain corporations he owned.  And the fact that he is an expert negotiator and a guy that studied law makes the case easier to win.  But not sure what the judge will do.  Hoping it does not pour too bad there.  I wish it would rain steadily here so I could run outside.  Rain, not pour, ha.

Jill, nice job with Kristin.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Dry & clear for my 5 this morning.

PADRunner

Overcast and humid this morning for 4. Sprinkled on the last half.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

60 and sunny for the Chicago Spring HM.  Downtown race.  Warm going south and beautiful going north into a cool wind.  Bad start  before the race when i was holding DW water bottle while she was in the pOp.  Bottle was open and pouring onto my shoe and I thought it was a nearby fountain spraying me.  Then I forgot to put body glide on my legs which of course chafed half way through the race.  Good thing I put it on my feet.  Finished 2:25 which was okay considering a long pit stop, photo stop and a few walk breaks.  3042/4470, 1451/1811, 6/15.  DW was 7/27 in her AG.  Pretty nice race overall, just a little congested pre and post race.  That was HM #12, and 3rd this spring.  Next one will be in August.

Zelanie

Nice job, Jerry and Jill!

I took a few days off to relieve burnout, but am still here.  I lowered my yearly goal to something that is more attainable, so that I have something to be working towards again.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

12.1 mile long run today brings me to 43 for the week. Probably gonna take it easy this week because then I dive into marathon training D: D: D: Sipped water semi-consistently on the run today and popped a gel just past the halfway mark, all was fine. I don't fuel for HMs but I'm not going to be able to get away with that for the real thing, so there will be a lot more experimenting with fuel on long runs and at race pace this summer!

GinnyinPA

Another drizzly day here.  I went out between showers, expecting to turn around after a couple of miles as soon as the rain began again.  When it did, the shower was so light I barely noticed, so I kept on going.  The run was an unusually good one, slow and easy and totally in the groove, so I didn't want to stop and I ended up stretching it out to 11.4.  I would have gone farther, but I hadn't brought water, and by then I needed it, plus it was starting to rain a bit more seriously.  I needed this kind of run.

Z - I'm glad you're back.  An ambitious goal can work against you if it ends up feeling like too much work, not enough fun.  Do you have any summer races to inspire you, or early fall ones?

Lauren - Have fun with your Marathon training.  It's so exciting to be starting out.  Good idea to practice fueling early and often.  It took me a long time to get my stomach on board with Gels etc.  I've had as much trouble with water as food sometimes.  After a while, it seemed to get more tolerant though.  I rarely have any serious issues on practice runs any more.  I'm always surprised at how much thirstier I get when running hard.  A quart of water lasts me for anything from 10-20 miles easy, but on race day, I drink at every water stop, and sometimes want more. Good idea to practice now, because it can take a while for your stomach to learn to run with something in it.

PAD - nice that you were able to run outside both days, even in the rain.

Jerry - nice job on the HM.  I'm glad you had decent weather for it.

Jill - sorry your back made the race so miserable.  At least you had company for it.  Did it rain on you too?

D - I hope your TM runs went well this weekend.

Zelanie

Z - I'm glad you're back.  An ambitious goal can work against you if it ends up feeling like too much work, not enough fun.  Do you have any summer races to inspire you, or early fall ones?

No, that's the problem.  I have serious work to do in the kitchen if I want to race competitively.  But without feeling like I have a goal, it's harder to run.  But honestly, the main issue is the 2 jobs plus DD's HS graduation coming up, it's just too much.  I don't want my running to feel like work right now.  I want it to be relaxing.