Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins are Waiting for Turkey Day (Read 15 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

I know HopesMom is travelling for Thanksgiving; is anybody else braving the storms in pursuit of a feast?

Any Turkey Trotters out there?

Or folks just trying to get as much running in as they can before the feast begins?

We'll head down to Maryland tomorrow for an afternoon feast with family, so there won't be time to run tomorrow. I'll try to get some extra miles in on Friday, if it's not pouring. Nice day today, so I'll do some miles after lunch.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6-7 miles with 2 at MP on the TM because the air is full of cement dust, ugh.

Ginny, enjoy the weekend!

Damaris

Zelanie

My daughter traveled home last night, so yay! We're just heading across town to the in-laws' tomorrow.

Today I have my last MP run, hopefully with a friend if I can get stuff done with enough time that she can run before she leaves town.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No turkey trots for us.  We ran 7.1 this morning on our bike path and didn't see one runner.  It was 40* and no wind or rain, but the path was wet.  Guess everyone but us is traveling.  Enjoy Thanksgiving Eve.

Zelanie

There's a turkey trot here, and I was thinking of jogging the 10K with the dogs just so we will have our miles in for the day.  But it's $40.  Another option would be to walk the 5K with DD and the dogs instead.  We can get one free 5K entry through DH's work if we want, so it would cost the same, and she's never done a 5K with me before.  So we'll see if she's up for it.  Or I could just go run somewhere and save us the $40.

Cyberic

Easy jog, done.

MTA: Hi Penguins. Wrong dailies, but I might as well use the occasion to say hello Smile

PADRunner

No turkey trots or otherwise for me this year.

I got 5 this morning and try to get 5 tomorrow before I go to my sisters for lunch.

Zelanie

Tough run for me this afternoon.  Somehow I'd built the workout into this mythical thing in my head, that the last MP workout the week before the marathon is the one and only thing that will tell you how your race will go.  I was supposed to run it with a friend last night, but then she had to cancel, so we were going to run this afternoon, but she got held up at work.  So it was just me.

I was in almost full blown panic attack mode.  It was silly.  I was .2 from the house the first time I almost turned back, convinced I couldn't possibly do it.  A couple of miles in, I realized that I was spending as much energy freaking out as I was running, and I worked really hard to just calm down and keep going.  I was tempted by every possible place to turn around, though.  "I could stop at that bus stop and go home now!"  "My friend lives up the road from here, I could go to her house and call for a ride home."  It was utterly ridiculous.   I shouldn't even freak out that much during an actual marathon.

Anyway, I kept going, and more or less did fine.  The last 3 miles I fell a few seconds off pace, mostly due to the monster headwind that came up, plus I think most of the nervous energy had subsided and left me tired but without the adrenaline of the freak out.  Plus it had gotten dark and I hadn't brought a headlamp.  I hit the lap button a couple times by accident trying to turn on my screen light.

Right at the start of my 10th MP mile, with the wind blowing the rain hard into my face, a pomeranian or something started chasing me, circling my legs and even jumping up on me.  When I got past the owner and the dog was still chasing, I stopped so that he could call his dog back.  The dog went back to the owner, and I started running again.  But the guy hadn't held on to his dog, or leashed him, or anything, so the dog starts wrapping itself around my legs again.  I was pissed.  I stopped and yelled, "Call your fucking dog!  I don't want to trip on him!"  The guy's response was a low "hey," which the dog totally ignored.  Luckily at that point the dog spotted another dog ahead on the path and ran up that way, so I was able to get past, but that was super lame.

Then I was just pissed and tired for the rest of the way.

GinnyinPA

Z -not a fun run, but you did it. It all helps build mental discipline, which helps on race day. I do hate running into loose dogs though, since you don't know what they'll do when they get excited.

Jerry - I'm surprised there weren't more people out, but I guess people were either working, travelling, or cooking.

D - cement dust?  Are they tearing up the sidewalks?

hi Cy!

PAD - any horse racing this weekend or is your season done?

I did 8 miles this afternoon. The clouds came out so it felt colder but at least it stayed dry. I find I'm running faster with the cold, but that's not necessarily a good thing. My easy runs aren't so easy, I just don't want to slow down cause it's too cold when I do.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

From the Internet.

HsM I made those insane brownies! My one regret is that I must wait until tomorrow to try them 

6 miles plus 2 strides to shake out the legs before tomorrow. And I killed it at running-related Black Friday already - 3 pairs of shoes for a grand total of $124 out of pocket (Brooks Launch and 2 pairs of Mizuno Wave Catalyst). 2 gift cards plus discount code, and killer price on a shoe that apparently no one else liked but me! Hooray!

PADRunner

Good job getting it done Z.

Ginny, no our season is over. Nothing until April.