Beginners and Beyond

Sundown HM RR where I failed. (Read 134 times)

Bin Running

Short version

Sundown Half Marathon. 31 May 2013 Singapore 11:30pm

Ran HM @ 1:54:20 (Garmin time) Still waiting for chip timing.

Longer version

6th HM that I had participated.  8 weeks after running PR HM.

Goal for this race:
    Goal 1: PR 1:48:
    Goal 2: sub 1:47
    Goal 3: As close to 1:45 as possible..

After my PR HM, I have 8 weeks to prepare for this HM.. I looked towards Pfitz again and cooked up a 8 weeks plan… Sort of like a 8/55 plan.

I still take the weeks after Mar HM as a recovery weeks, resting the legs. Had a family vacation to Taiwan the following and can’t find time to squeeze in any run but we have lots of fun.. I tried to cramp miles in the 2-3 weeks back and hit 53miles as my biggest week. I did some double on a few days when I am off-work.

I felt I did well on the plan but 8 weeks might be a little too short for a cycle.. I felt I didn’t run enough tempo. I ran a corporate run on the week after Taiwan but didn’t quite get into gear due to the massive human crowds.

On race day, I had chilli crab pasta for lunch, which seem to not cause any GI issues for me… Don’t know why but I just wanna to try a chilli dish before a race as it seem to be mentioned quite often. Knocked off on time, had some Indian flour dough (with curry, haa) at abt 5pm and tried to catch a quick nap.. Managed to nap for 2 hours and feeling fresh.. Make myself some banana smoothies with chocolate milk and some flax seeds.

Rained in the early evening which is good as it brings down the temperature but it is still very humid. The race was abt 3M from my home so I did what I did for my last HM. Walked for abt a mile and slow jog the rest to the starting area. Managed to throw in 2 set of strides along the way..

Reached the venue at 10pm. The MC announced that there is abt 20K for the run. There is a 10K starting an hour later than the HM and a FM on the next day. So, not sure how many are running the HM. Met up an old friend and had a little chat abt how training went.. He hasn’t trained much.. A few weeks on 20 miles.. He has a goal of sub 1:48 and I told him I intend to start at 5:00min/km (abt 8:00mpm) and hold on for dear life.. We made our way to the pen and there are corrals which is not so common in races I have been to. They had pacers for a few timing but the fastest is 2:00. I guess I just need to not let them catch me.. Both of us looked for the sub 2:00 corral and lined up

Here are my splits (in km, sorry guys...)

I am lined quite near to the front, maybe 10 rows between me and the starting line so didn’t really had to do much weaving.

1-8KM

Not so crowded since I started in front. Managed to hit my target pace with some changes on KM1. KM2 was a little too fast so I decided to slow down a bit.. Felt a little stitch on left side but it went away when I changed my breathing to the other foot. At KM8, stitch came back. The race has pretty generous water point and I stopped to drink on everyone.. Maybe that caused the issues but I was really thirsty. Or, the urges to take in water are strong.

9 – 16KM

At KM9, I am struggling. I wanted to stop the race and walk. Now, I have stitch on both sides. I am guessing the earlier rain might have made the humidity too much for me. Quite a fair bit of people passed me here and I can’t for even latch on to them..

17 – 21KM

Still struggling. More people passed me. I am expecting my friend who is aiming 1:48 to over-take me anytime but didn’t see him running past me yet.. I am slowed to abt my LR pace so I know I am doing badly.. Mental calculation, I knew I can definitely hit sub 2 and maybe 1:55. I tried to speed up just a little bit and it is hurting.. Last 2 KM, I tried to tell my brain that let’s just do a 2KM tempo and finish this off.. Not much of a kick left in me too. My Garmin showed 1:54:20 and I am just happy this is over.

Me, after the run.

Took a banana and a sport drink after the run and feel not too bad. Tried a cold dip where they filled bins with ice and water.. We just need to dunk ourselves into it..My friend finished over 2 hrs and he’s not feeling too good with his reflux.. Spent some time walking around and managed to locate a first aid tent but the medic was of not much help with the reflux. Took him abt an hour to recollect himself and we headed home.. Thousand of tired runners walking at the street trying to get a cab at midnight is scary.. Luckily, my friend drove or I will have to run home.. Not a pretty thought after all this. I just wanted to sleep now.

Woke up the next day and reward myself with a good ramen.

Thanks for reading and pardon my grammar and spelling.. I am still trying to figure out why I didn't do as well as I wanted in this run.. Feedback appreciated.

** update **

Official is out.. 1:54:19..  272/7371

++

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Hey, Bin, congrats on finishing #6!

Sorry that you weren't feeling your best, but we all do have our off days.  As far as what happened, I wonder if it was a combination of the night race plus the fast start.  Those first two clicks at that pace might just have taken more out of you than it seemed like at the time.

In any case, looks like you don't have too long to wait to redeem yourself! Smile

hog4life

Bin, I think your time is very good under the circumstances. During the 8 weeks to prepare, life was in the way. I had a similar situation between my two HM's. I run at night sometimes, and it is more difficult. Maybe it wasn't enough time to recover properly from March 31.

Amazonian Princess

Hi, Bin,

I don't know enough yet to provide constructive feedback but just wanted to say I think you did great! I imagine it could be off-setting to run so late at night but it looks like fun, too. Rocked the Halo and nice looking ramen! Big grin

I can. I will. I am. 

GinnyinPA

It's possible that you were simply tired.  If you normally get up early to run, then running late at night would be a real change.  You also had two weeks off, then worked really really hard the next few weeks to catch up.  Maybe you overdid it a bit?  It also seems your food/water didn't really agree with you.  Running with stomach issues can definitely slow you down.

Still, congratulations on finishing.

Sloooow.

+1 on what Ginny said. How does your day go normally? How often did you do night runs before?

You didn't fail! You finished your half marathon with a great time. It sounds like it was a unique experience.

B-Plus

Sorry, I don't have any feedback for you. I just wanted to say that's a cool looking race. I hope you figure out what went wrong.

Docket_Rocket

Looking good, Bin!

I think you did a great job running that late.  I couldn't even pace well at that hour.  Chin up, great job!  Keep working as hard as you have and you'll start seeing more results soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Good Job on another HM!   side stitches really mess with you mentally ESP a double side stitch.  They can't all be PRs or good races so don't beat yourself up too much. woo headband Cool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Mel, looking at the Bali HM profile, I think I might struggle due to the hills.. We'll see.. Smile Thanks

Mitch, That might contribute to it..

Baconista, It's a fun event.. Something different.. Thanks for dropping by.

Ginny, Thanks.. Tireness could be part of it.. We learn everyday.

Coralie, I did mostly morning run and evening run.. I did managed to squeeze in 2 nights run for the past 8 weeks.. But nvr for midnight ones..

Bplus, thanks.. I hope so too..

Damaris, thanks..

Traci, thanks.. I guess the HM distance humbled me yet again..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bin, that is not a fail. Those are far from ideal conditions in which to run a HM. Seriously, your brain must have been telling you "It's time for bed." There is no shame in that time, and beside, you are rocking the headband! I might just have to grow a mustache for my next HM! Smile

Bin Running

Jack, thanks, Would love to see the hulk hogan mustache with that headband on you..

Official is out.. 1:54:19..  272/7371

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin, super cool pics and report.

Sorry that you didn't hit your goal time, hoping your next race goes better.

That ramen looks fantastic!

Mmmmm...beer

Great report and race Bin!  As the others have said, I wouldn't sweat it, less than ideal conditions, and it's tough running that late in the day.  Congrats on your sixth half!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Philliefan33

Hey Bin, even though you didn't hit your goal time you posted a very respectable time.   It looks like an interesting race, that late at night.