Beginners and Beyond

Young at Heart Thursday Penguins (Read 19 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

I saw this article and test I thought was kind of interesting.

Older Athletes Have a Strikingly Young Fitness Age

Online Calculator

I'm 53 and got 25. Not sure if it's a good thing for me or that the average 25 yo is in such bad shape!

3 miles on the TM this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 on the TM later today.

PAD, nice 3.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

New 5k pr last night (still soft).  I went out for my 8 this morning and had severe calf cramps.  Stopped after 5.8 =(  I'm going to epsom salt bath, stretch, foam roll, icy hot, and hope that my calves feel better.  If not maybe I'll break out the big guns -- advil.  Haha.

I think another one of the B&Bers was at the race last night as well and both placed in her (and my) age group and set a new PR.  But I let her tell you about it ;-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Sapf, nice job on the race.  And that B&Ber is well known in FB by most of us so I assume we know how it is (but I'll let her tell the tale too).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

New 5k pr last night (still soft).  I went out for my 8 this morning and had severe calf cramps.  Stopped after 5.8 =(  I'm going to epsom salt bath, stretch, foam roll, icy hot, and hope that my calves feel better.  If not maybe I'll break out the big guns -- advil.  Haha.

I think another one of the B&Bers was at the race last night as well and both placed in her (and my) age group and set a new PR.  But I let her tell you about it ;-)

Calf raises/drops and I have found that jumping jacks have really helped strengthen my calves.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

I start 1/2 marathon training on the 6th. I'm really going to follow the plan to a T and shoot for a 1:55.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Pad - I'm 58 with a physical age of 25 too.  They didn't ask about joints though, that ages me a lot;-)

Lauren - so sorry about the toe.  You should be able to do a stationary bike too, no?

D - enjoy your 5 on the TM.  When you do your TM runs, do you go at a steady pace or do you fartlek/change the paces to keep it interesting?

sapf - congratulations on the PR even if you didn't go all out.  Try walking today too to ease the muscle tightness.

Jimmy - good luck on the HM training. Which plan are you following?  Are any of your group training with you?

AFM:  Cloudy and coolish today, so I'll get to run outside if it doesn't start to pour.  Probably only 6 or so since I have some DOMS from my hike the other day.  Climbing mountains uses different muscles.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Calf raises/drops and I have found that jumping jacks have really helped strengthen my calves.

Thanks =)  I actually have really strong calves (or at least they are huge for a woman -- 16 inch circumference) but I think the combination of yesterday's race being hilly, not eating appropriately afterwards, and not stretching/foam rolling just really did me in.  This is the first time I've ever even noticed my calves while running so I'm hoping that it is a fluke one time thing rather than some underlying issue.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Pad - I'm 58 with a physical age of 25 too.  They didn't ask about joints though, that ages me a lot;-)

Lauren - so sorry about the toe.  You should be able to do a stationary bike too, no?

D - enjoy your 5 on the TM.  When you do your TM runs, do you go at a steady pace or do you fartlek/change the paces to keep it interesting?

sapf - congratulations on the PR even if you didn't go all out.  Try walking today too to ease the muscle tightness.

Jimmy - good luck on the HM training. Which plan are you following?  Are any of your group training with you?

AFM:  Cloudy and coolish today, so I'll get to run outside if it doesn't start to pour.  Probably only 6 or so since I have some DOMS from my hike the other day.  Climbing mountains uses different muscles.

This one is at recovery pace so slow.  I also have different paces on different days so at least it's not all one pace.  Coolish sounds nice.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Today it is going to be 100 degrees.  Our club is sponsoring a 5K this evening, so about 100 at start time.  They are going to go ahead with it, because the course is a loop that's never more than 1/2 mile from the start/finish, and they're mostly encouraging people to come, do as much or little as they want, then enjoy the party afterwards (it's connected to a local baseball game and includes tickets).  They're leaving the clock on, but not giving out any awards other than a raffle.  I'm probably doing to volunteer, but haven't heard specifics from the RD.

The run starts about an hour before the Thursday social run, and I haven't heard the specifics of that other than we never, ever, ever miss a week.    Anyway, I will probably run with or to the social run, but can't imagine doing more than 5 in those temps, so I ran 3.1 on the TM this morning to pad my miles.  This afternoon should be an adventure!

I just talked to the solar guy and he's coming today for us to sign the contract and to measure our roof!  It will be warm up there!

hog4life

14.3 yesterday after the rain moved through, Bella came along for the first 7. I signed up for a 50k!

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I'm 36 and got under 20.  Fit, just slow!  4 miles today with the jogging stroller.  Hills kicked my butt.  This was easier when the kid was 15 pounds.

hog4life

I'm 28, LMAO.

Zelanie

Congrats, Mitch!