Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 16: Alamo 3.1 and 6.2 Krispy Kreme Donut Dash (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.    All in all though, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free. 

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2016%20Alamo%20Donut%20Dash%205K?sort=2

Before My Start

The Krispy Kreme Donut Dash 5K was my 16th race of 2018 and part of The Alamo 13.1/26.2 races.  There was also a 10K.  All the events started together at 6:45 a.m. near the Tower of the Americas/HemisFair Park in downtown San Antonio. Temp at start time was 63 degrees and it was pretty humid, but the predicted showers did not come out for us, thank goodness, we had a dry morning.  Humid and completely cloudy overcast gray skies, but no rain. I was up at 4 a.m. to eat my usual pre-race oatmeal and get myself awake a bit, and then arrived at the race venue around 6:10 a.m. Lots of people already there.  Wandered around and got some photos.

On the Course

For those familiar with San Antonio:  start on Alamo Street in front of Hemisfair Park. Went right past The Alamo, then left on Houston Street, then another turn to go back up to Alamo Street.  Then it was down to King William Historic District.  Here we 5k people turned off to go onto the San Antonio Riverwalk, with the other racers going straight.  From the Riverwalk we went down to Nueva Street and then went up that to finish back at HemisFair Park.  I passed my friend Terry on the way and wished her luck, she was doing the 10K, if I remember correctly, but i found out later she did not make it.  She tripped on one of the reflectors embedded in the street, took a face plant and fractured her wrist, bonked her head, and sprained her leg, and got an ambulance trip to ER, darn it.  This was a fairly large event, with around 800 - 900 participants, so she had lots of people around to help her and be with her, thank goodness. Wishing her a speedy recovery!  I don't know where the 10K, half-marathon, and marathon folks ended up, but I am assuming going somewhere in the general direction of where the historic San Antonio Missions are located. One of the 10K folks after told me they went on the Riverwalk too, but farther down from us and came back to the finish the way we 5K folks did.  I think all the race routes ended up being that last on the Riverwalk to Nueva bit to finish.

After My Finish

Post-race goodies: chocolate milk and, of course, Krispy Kreme donuts. The line was pretty long too but it went pretty quick.  I drank a bottle of water first, and then walked around getting some photos and then after i had cooled down a bit I indulged in the donuts right before I left to go home.  Well, A donut.  They gave you two, but I gave one away to a friend.

He and I ran on the course together to the finish.  He was a bit behind me and then found his finish burst and passed me at the finish. Way to go young man!

Speedy guys that did the half.  One of these guys won it, but I don't remember which one.

Our MC calling the names of all the runners and walkers as they finished

The Alamo re-enactors.  March 6 is Texas Independence Day

Don't let the costume fool you.  I see this guy at a lot of events and he is pretty speedy, even in costume.

Walking back to my car, passed some of the fountains in the park

Pretty overcast day as you can see from the top of Tower of America being shrouded in clouds and fog

Epilogue

Did this one last year.  They changed the route a bit this year and I like this route better.  Lots more room to move around, a few more 'scenic views' of the Riverwalk, which was nice.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hope your friend is ok, that sounds like a rough fall.

Is the costumed guy wearing any pants or shorts? It looks like he has on tights and a top.

I was expected this to be one of the Krispy Kreme challenge type races where you a certain distance, eat donuts, then continue.

GinnyinPA

I hope your friend is okay. Ouch.

I keep hoping for donuts, but most races have bagels instead. Healthier, perhaps, but not as tasty. The only race I did that had donuts, nobody wanted to eat them. I think there were only 3 or 4 eaten out of several hundred.

delicate flower

Those donut medals look pretty sweet.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope your friend is ok, that sounds like a rough fall.

Is the costumed guy wearing any pants or shorts? It looks like he has on tights and a top.

I was expected this to be one of the Krispy Kreme challenge type races where you a certain distance, eat donuts, then continue.

The costumed guy is wearing tights, lol.  I don't know what else was under there and I did not want to look! 

Nope the donuts were at the end.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I hope your friend is okay. Ouch.

I keep hoping for donuts, but most races have bagels instead. Healthier, perhaps, but not as tasty. The only race I did that had donuts, nobody wanted to eat them. I think there were only 3 or 4 eaten out of several hundred.

Thanks, Ginny. She had surgery on her arm on Thursday and is home recovering now.  No running for her for a while.