Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 32 times)

LRB

Hi.

I ran for 7 miles. It was slow but my legs finally had a little bounce.

At 46 crisp degrees I wore thin tights, a long sleeve tech and thin knit gloves. I could've easily gotten by with a singlet and shorts, but the oppurtunity to switch things up for a change was too good to pass.

Docket_Rocket

I am surprised you didn't burst on fire wearing all of that!

I have Pilates and 15 today.  Dentist appointment to check the tooth pain.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning!

I have a phone call about a potential contract job later this morning and then I'll jog a little after that. 4-6, probably.

Cyberic

Ran 14 miles on my commute, with 4 x (15min / 3min). Felt tired before I started so I decided I was going to go for HMP-MP-HMP-MP. I kept to that pattern, but my paces were faster than what I thought I'd do at first.

6:36, 6:47, 6:25, 6:39

My legs are really feeling the cumulative fatigue right now. 31 consecutive days, 10.8 miles/day average, 3 races (30k, 5k, 10k) , and before that, there was an "off" day, but it was because I really needed it.

IK,R?

And what is this, National Dental Health Week?

6 miles.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Work happy hour last night so I had 2 beers compared to the 0 that I normally drink. Definitely dragging this morning but I was still up at 5am to get in 5 easy miles.

Question regarding hotels and marathon running: for CIM, I'm just now booking travel but I booked the hotel months ago. The race is Sunday morning and we'd like to fly home Sunday late afternoon/evening. I won't be done running by check out time...how do hotels normally let you deal with that situation? Will they still let me shower somewhere when I'm done running? Obviously, I haven't called to ask that yet but I was curious what others usually do. For my last marathon, we stayed an extra day so it wasn't an issue.

sdWhiskers

And what is this, National Go-Fund-a-Dentist Week?

onemile

I ran 7. Definitely not recovered yet 

KCRuns

Work happy hour last night so I had 2 beers compared to the 0 that I normally drink. Definitely dragging this morning but I was still up at 5am to get in 5 easy miles.

Question regarding hotels and marathon running: for CIM, I'm just now booking travel but I booked the hotel months ago. The race is Sunday morning and we'd like to fly home Sunday late afternoon/evening. I won't be done running by check out time...how do hotels normally let you deal with that situation? Will they still let me shower somewhere when I'm done running? Obviously, I haven't called to ask that yet but I was curious what others usually do. For my last marathon, we stayed an extra day so it wasn't an issue.

You can request a late check out, try for 2p or 3p or whatever it is you need, with a time cushion.  Depending on how booked they are for the upcoming night, they may give you more time than usual.  And then you can shower there.  I've only had one hotel that wouldn't accommodate a late enough check out, so I used wet wipes.  But I was driving home, not flying, so I wasn't around other non-runners.

MTA: But make your late check out request now so they are more likely to grant it. If you wait until you check in and all the other runners asked for the same thing, they will say no.  It's also easier to get the late check out if you are part of their rewards program, so sign up for that before you make the request.

Half Crazy K 2.0

sdWhiskers, is the hotel an official race hotel? When I've done the Atlantic City races, we ask for a late check-out due to the race and they accommodate us.

KCRuns

I ran 5.6 with 30 minutes tempo.  The plan said tempo should be 9:24-9:44 (around 5k), my miles average 9:35.  Everything about this run felt good today.  And at the end, Garmin told me I had my fastest 5k!  Which I know means nothing in training, but it makes me feel good about my training and upcoming races, including a 5k next month.

Docket_Rocket

It's really root canal week, looks like.  And a tooth infection, sigh.  Apparently, my 25 year old root canal needs to be redone and if not, take that tooth out.  Oy.  That explains the pain, I guess.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

The tights were thin, not insulated or fleeced-lined. Ditto the gloves. It was a great autumn morning jog, I enjoyed it.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I had 12 with 9 at marathon pace.  The humidity disappeared overnight and I had a very pleasant cool and dry morning for my run.  Just over 5 weeks to go.  Seems like a long time still, but I'm sure race day will be here before I know it.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

LRB

A lot of times, when you "ask" about late checkouts, you get the spiel about getting charged an extra day if you're one second past it.

When I ran CIM I didn't bring it up, I just did my normal thing and showed up hobbling to the front counter wearing my medal.

I do not recall how far past the checkout I went, but me, and dozens of others were there for the event, and it was a non issue.