Beginners and Beyond

My busted knee thread aka WOE IS ME, WOE IS ME! (Read 659 times)

delicate flower

Thanks for all the kind words.  I appreciate them more than you know.  I told DW last night that I'd stop feeling sorry for myself now and focus my energy on recovering and moving forward.

I spoke to my PCP last night and asked him to order me an MRI, since knee doc can't order one until he sees me.  PCP doc said no problem.  I'll get that scheduled today.  I also know someone who can read MRI's and he said he'd take a look at the images.  PCP also gave me the ok to do some upper body weight training as long as I don't use my legs, so at least I can go to the gym and do something.

I don't plan to stop skiing.  I've been skiing for 15 years and really this is only like the fourth bad injury I've suffered skiing.  Big grin  Seriously though, I enjoy skiing too much and it's something DW and I spend a lot of time doing together.  It's worth the risk.  I don't think it's that much more dangerous than all the cycling we do while risking being hit by cars (which has also happened), or impaling ourselves while mountain biking (which has also happened).  I suppose when you play hard, it's just a matter of time until you wind up on the DL.

I am still optimistic that I'll be able to run my HM on Feb 23.  That's seven weeks away.  I already know I won't be able to give it full effort, but I'll be thrilled if I can shuffle myself 13.1 miles by then.  I'll do what the doc says though.

<3

RabbitChaser

Sorry to hear about your injury! I hope you have a smooth, speedy recovery. I'm currently dealing with the no running rule from the Dr. as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to resume again in 2 more weeks.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Heat and humidity do wonders to heal joints.

Move to Miami and run with Damaris... stat.

paulski66

miscreant

Dude...really sorry to hear this. I hope it's not as bad as you're dreading it is, and that you have a speedy recovery.

Also, the white balance is way off on your photograph...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Ouch! That sucks and I hope it turns out to not be too serious.

BTW - When I opened this thread I was definitely expecting a story of a bike crash.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Misty

I'm so sorry Phil Sad. I can't even imagine how disappointed you must be! I really hope you get the very best news possible next Tuesday at the dr....maybe that you're sleeping and this is all just actually a dream? Of course if that were true you'd have had either the Abdominable Snowman or bikini clad babes helping you down off that mountain...

((hugs))

Misty

Bless your heart.

Village people

Again, sorry. I hope it doesn' t turn out to be too serious.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very sorry to hear this, Baboon.  I can relate to your knee issues, I've had 4 surgeries myself on my knee.

The good news is that if it is a meniscus tear, with today's arthroscopic surgery, you should have a pretty quick recovery time.  My last surgery they had me rest for a few days after and then they got  me up and walking around on Day 4 or 5, and then had me walking a bit every day, started with going a block up my street, then a few blocks, and so forth.  About 3 weeks after I was starting a run/walk program.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you don't have to have surgery.   Good luck!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

My tendons hate me.

Sorry to hear about  your injury and happy to attend your pity party.  I know all too well what it's like to be out with an injury and having to abandon all sorts of goals.  Sounds like you have a positive attitude and are aggressively seeking treatment.  Hopefully the news from your MRI and knee doc won't be as bad as it could be.

5K - 23:25 (10/11)

10K - 46:45 (6/12)

HM - 1:46:55 (5/12)

Marathon - 4:18:55 (Philly 11/12 in crippling pain) 

Just B.S.

Phil I really hope you are able to come back quickly and do your half.

I totally agree with you about not giving up the things you love. I have people ask me all the time if I'm

scared road biking will get me injured. Scared, no, possible yes, but I love it so why give up one thing you

love for the sake of another? We all can get hurt accidentally at any time for various reasons.

Hubby played in an age  25+ men's slowpitch softball league for 20 years and had a broken collar bone from

that about 6 years ago. He plays mens rec. hockey and took a puck to the face that broke his nose in 2

places just 10 days after his first BQ in 2009.  He came back from  those injuries after 6 weeks or so.

2 injuries in 20 years but lots of fun and lots of great memories far outweigh the few weeks of downtime.

MrNamtor

Phil I really hope you are able to come back quickly and do your half.

I totally agree with you about not giving up the things you love. I have people ask me all the time if I'm

scared road biking will get me injured. Scared, no, possible yes, but I love it so why give up one thing you

love for the sake of another? We all can get hurt accidentally at any time for various reasons.

Hubby played in an age  25+ men's slowpitch softball league for 20 years and had a broken collar bone from

that about 6 years ago. He plays mens rec. hockey and took a puck to the face that broke his nose in 2

places just 10 days after his first BQ in 2009.  He came back from  those injuries after 6 weeks or so.

2 injuries in 20 years but lots of fun and lots of great memories far outweigh the few weeks of downtime.

well it's obvious that skiing is bad for the knees. Big grin

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

That is nasty. I hope you get favorable results from the MRI. Keep us posted.

In transit, arriving on time. 

delicate flower

Jesus Christ, getting anything done in this healthcare system is nearly impossible.  And I work in it!  Still trying to get an MRI scheduled....

PCP tells me to ask ortho for MRI before my appointment next week.

Ortho says insurance won't pay for it until ortho sees me, and to have PCP request the MRI.

Call PCP to request MRI.  No problem they say.

Call PCP six hours later to ask what's up.  They say the holdup is on the insurance side.

Call insurance to ask what's up.  They say nobody has called them about getting an MRI approved for me and my account is up to date.

Left another massage with PCP describing conversation with PPO.

I think a dog chasing it's tail is more productive than this. 

<3

Late to this thread but here's hoping you have a quick recovery.

yeoldefatguy

Jesus Christ, getting anything done in this healthcare system is nearly impossible.  And I work in it!  Still trying to get an MRI scheduled....

PCP tells me to ask ortho for MRI before my appointment next week.

Ortho says insurance won't pay for it until ortho sees me, and to have PCP request the MRI.

Call PCP to request MRI.  No problem they say.

Call PCP six hours later to ask what's up.  They say the holdup is on the insurance side.

Call insurance to ask what's up.  They say nobody has called them about getting an MRI approved for me and my account is up to date.

Left another massage with PCP describing conversation with PPO.

I think a dog chasing it's tail is more productive than this. 

Obamacare will make this type of situation a thing of the past...