Beginners and Beyond

Week 21 Penguins will take a memo! (05/20-05/26) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's National Memo Day.  Which I could use, because I am definitely not with us this morning, and taking a memo might be the only way I remember anything today.

I set up a bunch of samples to run over the weekend.  Of course my signal crapped out on the sixth one.  Not sure why yet, because the runs aren't actually finished yet.  That will take another few hours.  Then I have to decide if I'm just going to re-run the ones that didn't work and call it done (after I figure out the problem, hopefully) or if I'm going to try to re-run the ones that didn't work and then run the whole set again a different way to get more data.  May go for option 1 just for the sake of time and sample.  We'll see.

Not sure why I'm so out of it this morning, but neither DH nor I were ready for morning this morning! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Back home after the Martha's Vineyard Marathon.  I took today off and I have Pilates this afternoon and that is it.

HopesMom, I am never ready for Mondays.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Apparently I'm not ready for Tuesday either!  Too much stuff going on, too many tasks to do!  Yoga was helpful this morning, though.  Even if there were spiders DH had to kill before I could get started.  Hoping when it quits raining so much, they'll stay outside where they belong!

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, me either, but at least I am in court this morning which cuts my day in half and makes it interesting.

I have 4 miles and weights tonight.  All the pain on my knee during the race made me realize I had stopped doing my squats and lunges three weeks ago and serves me right for forgetting.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Don't you just love how your body says, "Remember this preventative stuff?  Know how you've been skipping it?  Get back to it!!"  One of the joys of getting older, I guess.

Docket_Rocket

Exactly.  It was the first time the operated knee hurt during a marathon.  Ugh.  Serves me right, like I said...

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

So today I have two instruments down and a boatload of samples to run.  I've been working on intentionally choosing to be less grumpy, to be more grateful and to recognize the good things in my life.  Some days are tougher for that than others ... 

Docket_Rocket

Ugh.  Hoping the instruments start working soon.

I have 5 miles tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, two strong early morning runs in a row, nice. Up at 5 a.m. yesterday, ran at Fort Sam in the morning. At one point I had to wait to cross the street, lol..there were a bunch of formation runners going all the way down that street and I did not want to run across in front of them - slow as I am, it would not have been pretty, lol - stampeded over by Army formation runners... at least they are combat medics so I would have gotten immediate medical attention, lol. 3.3 miles done.

Today ran at UTSA Campus. Again, up at 5 in the morning and did my "long' run for the week of 4.3 miles, plus my weekly hill workout, as my route included 8 hills of varying size, with the last one being a short but steep up-finish to the UTSA gym door. I think I am starting to like this early morning running finally, after all these years.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Nice job on the runs, Scotty!

I have an RD so Pilates and weights for me.  Working from home today and off tomorrow as part of my new schedule.  Everybody at the office is in shock that I left the office on Tuesday and they won't see me again until Tuesday (I had court all day yesterday, WFH, off, and then the holiday Monday).  I am liking this new schedule so far, haha.

Ask me next week when I have to be at the office every day by 7am.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I am lusting after that day off on Monday!!  Scotty, welcome back to the Penguins!!  You should post a picture or two, so we remember what you look like! 

I am spending money right and left.  Ok, maybe only right.  Almost $400 for pet meds for the next 6-12 months.  But the ticks and skeeters are coming, so the meds must also come!

Docket_Rocket

Ouch.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah.  It would be cheaper if they weren't so huge!!  Dusty is 130 lbs, and Chewie is 21, I think.  So they have to have plus-sized doses.  Maggie is still riding under 10 lbs, so that's not too bad.  Of course, Chewie's head is twice the size of Maggie's.  He's just a huge cat, like Dusty is just a small elephant. 

Docket_Rocket

Haha. I have giant tomcats the same age as my tiny Sammy. It’s crazy!

Damaris

Fundraising Page