Beginners and Beyond

Plight of a "masters" runner (Read 111 times)

StepbyStep-SH

I am feeling my age tonight - sitting on a hot pad for the tight muscles in my hip/glute/back, while at the same time I have an ice pad on my knee that is still occasionally a bit creaky from twisting it last month.

And I've been a "master" for less than a year. Soooooo much to look forward to.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Just B.S.

Wait until you are a Grand Master or Mistress Smile can you say Ben Gay? Smile

Actually I   joke luckily I rarely get aches and pains but I do love my heating pad in the winter for

Warming up after an outdoor run.

Nothing like warm toasty buns!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

"Grow old along with me! / The best is yet to be" - Robert Browning

I think I'm in the Great Grand Master class and running more than I have in years. Twisting your knee can happen at any age. For the rest it's a matter of training and rest, especially rest and recovery. It's an ongoing learning process to adapt to the gradual changes you'll encounter. It now takes me 2-3 days of short, easy running to recover from a hard interval workout, while 40+ years ago I'd be out running 10 miles the next day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

StepbyStep-SH

George and Beth, you are two of my heroes! I know that there really is a lot to look forward to. I just found tonight quite ironic that I was heating and icing at the same time.

The need to heat my back/hip is actually due to stupidity on my part. I didn't take time to stretch yesterday - just did a 7.5 mile run, an hour strength training class, and then straight to the shower and lunch with friends. I've known for about 2 years now that is a recipe for problems, yet I did it anyway. So today I pay the price - heat, extra stretching, and extra torture with the foam roller.

Just B.S.

George and Beth, you are two of my heroes! I know that there really is a lot to look forward to. I just found tonight quite ironic that I was heating and icing at the same time.

The need to heat my back/hip is actually due to stupidity on my part. I didn't take time to stretch yesterday - just did a 7.5 mile run, an hour strength training class, and then straight to the shower and lunch with friends. I've known for about 2 years now that is a recipe for problems, yet I did it anyway. So today I pay the price - heat, extra stretching, and extra torture with the foam roller.

Oh Shari, I am sure you are just being kind for my part, no much going on to look up to with me,  just keep

slogging and keep moving so age doesn't set in.

Yeah been there done that!LOL  And often hubby and I swap the ice bag and the heating pad back and forth Smile

I ice often as a preventative and use the heating pad just cause it feels so darn good.

FWIW I started breaking all my PR's at age 48 after running for a full 10 years and have broken all my PRs at all

distances each year since then. 52 this year and the season hasn't started yet so it remains to be seen if the

streak will continue. I will keep you posted Smile

RSX

I have told people that in my case everything hurts over 45. Up until that point nothing lasted longer than expected. But I did run 1,700+ last year and 19 races which were my records. This year I will run 2 marathons but cut back on the smaller races.

delicate flower

Well one good thing about picking up running later in life (I was 38...2011) is that being tired and sore from running is all I know.  It is normal to me.  Seems that it's easier to deal with mentally because I don't know what it was like to run really hard one day and feel good to go the next day.  No thoughts of, "I remember when this used to be easier."  What's cool too is that I feel I am still very much on the ascent and I can honestly say I truly appreciate it.

But yeah, ice and Advil are my friends.  Big grin

<3

PADRunner

The first quarter mile my knees and ankles are like rice krispies. Snap, krackle, &  pop.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

"Grow old along with me! / The best is yet to be" - Robert Browning

I think I'm in the Great Grand Master class and running more than I have in years. Twisting your knee can happen at any age. For the rest it's a matter of training and rest, especially rest and recovery. It's an ongoing learning process to adapt to the gradual changes you'll encounter. It now takes me 2-3 days of short, easy running to recover from a hard interval workout, while 40+ years ago I'd be out running 10 miles the next day.

+1

I'm 60 now and went from running 6 days a week when I was in my 40s to now only 4 days a week.  And my body these  days sounds like a living advertisement for Rice Krispies, as I have a lot of parts that go SNAP CRACKLE POP as I move around.

I still count my blessings though that I am able to still get out there and do some running.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

I've been a master for so long (actually, when I started running, I already was a master...) that I don't remember what exercising as a young woman was like. I think that maybe, yes, recovery was faster. But I'm also pretty certain that I never worked out as intensely as I do now. It's like my pain threshold has increased over the years.

But yeah... like Baboon, being tired and sore has become the norm for me. I don't even bother to ice, roll the stick, take pain killers, etc... I figure that as long as I can do my workouts with good energy, I don't care if I drag myself in discomfort the rest of the day. The negative side to all this is that I do less cleaning in general in the house, due to fatigue. But my guys don't complain about it. In fact, they like that I have become less anal retentive about house chores.

Shari, you are way more active in your daily life than I am in mine. I think that is why you feel the years in you at such a young age (calling a 40 year old a master is completely ridiculous...). I wish I could tell you that it will get better, but I can't. What I can tell you is that it gets more fun and exciting as the years go by. And being sore becomes a badge of honor, we embrace it. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

I've been a master for so long (actually, when I started running, I already was a master...) that I don't remember what exercising as a young woman was like. 

Ditto that. I was 38 when I started and was almost a Grand Master before I even realized there was

the Master/Grand Master categories as we don't use those definitions locally in race terms. I was

definitely shocked to find out that at age 50 I was consider a Grand Master but at least I am Grand

at something Smile Although I have been a cyclist for many years prior to being a runner , for a long time

it was just pleasure cycling and not the same type of cycling I do now for duathlon/triathlon.

May will mark the start of my 15th year as a runner and 12th year racing halfs and longer. Other than

an injury stint of about 10 weeks in 2005 and my surgery layoff of 4 weeks in Feb 2012 I have never stopped.

The only times I find myself stiff and sore is when I am not able to exercise for more than 2 days in a row.

Now  at 52 it's like you gotta keep doing it to feel good.  Talk about positive reinforcement. Smile

happylily

Beth, I wish I could be like you and say I never feel stiff and sore. But I'd be lying. You are lucky (or smarter than me. Or have better genes. )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Beth, I wish I could be like you and say I never feel stiff and sore. But I'd be lying. You are lucky (or smarter than me. Or have better genes. )

None of the above. I do more miles overall each week than you but more than half of mine are swimming and

cycling which are much easier on the body. So maybe you are just tougher while I chose the easier

route of non impact miles.

There is honestly nothing like swimming for a mile or so. I get into a relaxation trance and It stretches everything

out and feels soooo good!! For me it's like a free weekly massage. Then I hit the hot tub, that's the best part Smile

StepbyStep-SH

I will consider myself to be in very good company with my creaks, crackles, and aches and pains!

Here's to all of us "enjoying" them for many more years to come! :cheers:

Just B.S.

I will consider myself to be in very good company with my creaks, crackles, and aches and pains!

Here's to all of us "enjoying" them for many more years to come! :cheers:

Cheers!!

Actually at races I hear the younger folks complaining a lot more about being sore/hurting than us oldies. Smile