Beginners and Beyond

Penguins eat your citrus for International Scurvy Awareness Day (Read 17 times)

on my way to badass

Happy Monday Penguins!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

on my way to badass

I hope everyone has better weather than me.  4-5 on the treadmill for me today.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I am sure we don't have good weather since I flew into Miami and it was 85F at 10pm.  Pilates today and a dinner with a friend; that is it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Morning.  I am sure we don't have good weather since I flew into Miami and it was 85F at 10pm.  Pilates today and a dinner with a friend; that is it.

Ouch.  I'd be a puddle as soon as I hit unconditioned air.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  I'm going with National Truffle Day Smile

Short run later this morning when DW awakens.

Docket_Rocket

Ouch.  I'd be a puddle as soon as I hit unconditioned air.

And that is mild.  Last year, April hit 100 heat indexes and it never cooled off so we are lucky this time around. So far.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, we're still on one car and a rental, since we haven't heard back from the insurance appraiser yet.  I have some things coming up to do at work, so I can't take off to car shop until Thursday, I think.  Hopefully that will all work out.  And I think it's supposed to rain here all week, which is not my fave.  But hey, we could use it, so it's all good.

Stone -- have a good TM 4-5!!

Docket -- Enjoy your Pilates and dinner!!

Jerryb -- Yeah, I think I'd prefer truffles too!!  How are DW's quads today?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

#artbydmcbride

Nude Gardening Day is coming.......

Runners run

GinnyinPA

Good Morning.  I'm going with National Truffle Day Smile

Mushroom truffles or chocolate truffles?

Enjoy your run with your wife later.  Is she up to non-stop running yet, or still at 4:1?

StoneFence - good luck with the TM run.  We actually have a non-rainy day today, though the rain is coming back tomorrow.

D - enjoy your semi rest day.  How do you feel post race?

HopesMom - despite all the rain this week, we are still at about half normal for the year.  I keep that in mind when I'm complaining about the constant gray skies.

AFM:  I'm feeling really good today, so I think I'll do my hilly loop later.  It's supposed to get up to almost 80 this afternoon. We're on a temperature roller coaster this week:  78, 68, 58, 65, 74 . . . with rain possible every day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nude Gardening Day is coming.......

Team building, Ilene ???

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi Pens!

Allison -- amazing job yesterday :-)  That was a substantial PR, right?

SF - what's wrong with the weather?

DR - enjoy your easy day

Jerry - enjoy the run with the wife

Ilene - any running?

Ginny - enjoy the hills

AFM: did 4.6 misty/overcast miles

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Easy 4.  Only took 1 short walk break.  DW says ITB/quads are okay.  Should be ready for another HM on Saturday.

Think we will run over to Sports Authority and see if there are any deals before they close down.

Ginny, chocolate truffles.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I like this 24-hour access to Fort Sam Houston gym - it's a thing you have to sign up for - means you can go any hour of the day or night. I was up early on Sunday and went before the gym 'officially' opened. Nice and quiet in the gym during 'early hours', no crowd, lots of room. I went outside and did a slow 3 miles in 34:18 - and I admit I did run a tad, darn piriormis in my butt still hurts, but it is getting better - and after I got back to the gym did a weight training circuit for arms and upper body. One tired old doggie and then I was lazy for the rest of Sunday.

Saturday morning I did a walk for an hour and 10 minutes.  Not very speedy, covered only 3.7 miles but it was a pretty good workout for a walk as it was a very hilly route.  7 uphills, 4 downhills.

I really do have to behave myself and NOT run for the rest of the month; but it's really hard mentally not to 'break out' when I get out there doing my walking.  Stupid piriformis and hamstring issue, very frustrating.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, glad the priformis/hamstring are getting better.  Must be difficult behaving yourself.  I'm sure Gail is keeping you on a short leash.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I understand about the butt/hamstring pain.  I've been dealing with it for the past two months.  It doesn't hurt when I'm running, but it does the rest of the time.  Weird.  Since you're walking more, do you go with Gail?

Jerry - I'm glad your wife is doing so much better.  Is the forecast for this weekend better than last week?

Jill - sounds nice and cool.

It was hot and humid (75 with a DP of 60) so I skipped the hills and just ran 6.5  to the library where I met Jim and we drove to a dairy store with really good homemade ice cream. Then I mowed the lawn to burn off the calories from the ice cream.  What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was cool and running felt so easy. Today it was hot and I struggled. I know I'll get used to it, but between the allergies and the heat, yech.