Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race Number 82 Fredericksburg TX Turkey Trot (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2082%20Fredericksburg%20Turkey%20Trot?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 82nd race of 2018 was Fredericksburg Turkey Trot held on Nov 24 in Fredericksburg, TX, about 90 miles from San Antonio.  This was more like 'burn off the turkey', lol, since it was a couple days after Thanksgiving.  The event included a 5K, a 10K and a 1-mile fun run.  There were 77 finishers for the 5K and 251 finishers for the 5K.  This event supported MOM Center, a nonprofit women’s resource center specializing in parenting education and adoption advocacy.  I arrived with about an hour to go for the 8:30 a.m. start time for the 5K and 10K and got some pre-start photos.  Although it was a bit chilly when I first arrived, the sun came out strong and by race start time we had a temp of around 55 degrees, with most people putting aside their layers.

C'est moi!

photo IMG_1170_zpst9mk6nkw.jpg

Local race management company Athlete Guild did the timing and results for this one.  Hard at work before the start.

photo IMG_1157_zpsx15mgkot.jpg

photo IMG_1158_zpswhpmzhsy.jpg

The official photographer

photo IMG_1162_zpsb39jvmkl.jpg

Various volunteers, participants, etc.   This was a dog-friendly event

photo IMG_1159_zpseekscxw8.jpg

photo IMG_1160_zpsvyur0nq1.jpg

photo IMG_1161_zps9kzx6ncm.jpg

photo IMG_1163_zpsqdhzqcvt.jpg

photo IMG_1165_zpsssqshoer.jpg

photo IMG_1166_zps1zogtzpp.jpg

photo IMG_1167_zpsetzf973d.jpg

photo IMG_1168_zpsrxixzb6m.jpg

photo IMG_1169_zpsfpykcf4n.jpg

photo IMG_1171_zpsjjzaa7ie.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo IMG_1173_zpsd9wkgqdq.jpg

photo IMG_1174_zpsr7ozsafv.jpg

photo IMG_1175_zpsbzwpdfcl.jpg

photo IMG_1177_zpsyxkjvxcb.jpg

photo IMG_1178_zps7yyaktxz.jpg

This was the 97th race of the year for my speedy friend Bernadette

photo IMG_1179_zpsz3c0xh6b.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This was a nicely designed kinda-loop course with us starting in front of a local elementary school and going out one driveway and then finishing by coming in another driveway, after routing through some pretty nice neighborhoods with a couple of mild hills thrown in; actually felt more to me like long inclines than hills. Very wide streets so people had lots of room to spread out. The course was open to traffic but where I was at any given time there were very few vehicles; and those that were there, the drivers were pretty patient about it all.  I took 2 walk breaks and then ran nonstop to the finish for the last 1.2 miles, finishing in 32:48 chip time, 4th in my 60 – 69 age group.

photo IMG_1180_zps2jntabr8.jpg

photo IMG_1183_zpsmz4jedg4.jpg

photo IMG_1184_zpsotway7dv.jpg

photo IMG_1185_zpsrh1rgsy6.jpg

photo IMG_1186_zps9oufybl5.jpg

photo IMG_1187_zpsepo95fjt.jpg

photo IMG_1188_zpsr9l9g72h.jpg

photo IMG_1189_zps6rsbwss9.jpg

photo IMG_1190_zpsrbdi9px1.jpg

photo IMG_1191_zpsel70msus.jpg

Water stop volunteers....no beer...  

photo IMG_1192_zpsqjrkisr3.jpg

photo IMG_1193_zps8kx3a4dz.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water and a banana post-finish, munched and drank and did a small recovery walk and then got some post-race photos.

The Turkeys were out-and-about on the course

photo IMG_1197_zpsnwyer7gw.jpg

photo IMG_1198_zpspncac3rs.jpg

Happy finishers, supporters, etc.

photo IMG_1199_zpsflj9eacf.jpg

photo IMG_1200_zpsa0l8jwxx.jpg

photo IMG_1201_zpsyjtgs1ef.jpg

My friend here was 3rd in his age group in the 10K

photo IMG_1202_zpsy5wlvsbg.jpg

My age group placing friend with his wife and with his son

photo IMG_1220_zpsj4feeevv.jpg

photo IMG_1203_zpskvslh1r3.jpg

My "long-haired hippy freak"  Don placed in his age group for his 98th race of the year

photo IMG_1204_zpsikzxgzzz.jpg

photo IMG_1205_zpsumqgckgh.jpg

photo IMG_1206_zpsafhqbwoj.jpg

photo IMG_1209_zpsmjcdnyjs.jpg

photo IMG_1210_zpsy914m5kq.jpg

photo IMG_1211_zps7tpsjjrw.jpg

photo IMG_1213_zps5usf9iqn.jpg

photo IMG_1215_zpsnpbhktly.jpg

photo IMG_1216_zpsxa4jcenf.jpg

photo IMG_1218_zpsvag1lluj.jpg

photo IMG_1219_zpstxzm5nl6.jpg

Two placers - Don, with Race 98 of the year and Bernadette with Race 97 of the year

photo IMG_1217_zpstb4aur8l.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a small-and-friendly event with lots of good people. I felt almost like I was having a social run with friends instead of doing a race, and that was all good. Very nicely laid out course for the 5K.  10K folks ran the 5K course up to a point, and then the 5K folks turned off, so I don’t know what the rest of the 10K course was like.  The 1-mile fun run was done on part of the 5K course and I think theirs was an out-and-back.  There were some pretty speedy kids too, especially those that came in before the others.  I couldn’t run the mile pace of some of those first-in kids, lol, I’d keel right over.  Post-race goodies were pretty much water, various fruits, and some other items.  Race shirts are pretty nice quality with a nice and simple design.  I have done this one in the past and would do it again, and certainly would recommend it to others.

Thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us, including all the volunteers, law enforcement, organizers, elementary school staff for letting us use their grounds, Athlete Guild for the timing and results, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  No event for we participants without you, so mucho gracias!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt