Beginners and Beyond

Pluck is out, Hoop.la is in (Read 245 times)

delicate flower

LRB said it best.

I'll post on both sites.  Somehow I think the Earth will manage to keep spinning.

<3

Well I do appreciate when SRL swoops down here, because I can set my watch by the amount of time it takes Namtor to follow with his screed in response. It's nice to know there are still a few things in this world you can count on. Smile

I did not come into RWOL till sometime late last year, so my only memory of it is the spam, people complaining about the spam, and the mass exodus. Not having the history there, and with no interest in keeping up with 2 different running forums, I will be staying here as long as I have the attention span for it. At least until there is a mass exodus from this place for some reason.

Dave

RunswithBeer

onomatopoeia

My favorite word in the English language.

RA is a SUPERB forum and stat site....

RWOL is quite possibly on the rebound with better software...

There is room in the universe for BOTH!

"Can't we all just Get Along?"  Cool

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Hip Redux

Group hug everyone!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I will probably post a bit on both sites, but I will be here the most, I like this place better.

The only thing I don't like about this site is the way you have to post photos here.  Doing a race report here..posting one photo at a time for MY race reports can get VERY time-consuming, lol.  So I wish they had a photo-posting thingy here like the old RW forums had, where the thingy just takes you right to the files where you have your photos that you want to post.

Other than that small detail, I like it here quite a lot.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dr. Cornsitter

For those of you about to up and bail back to the site that fucked you over for years and taunted all of you when you left ("look, the cool kids are still here because I am totally misreading and lying about these numbers I am reporting"), thanks for spending some time here and consider that Eric bent over backward to be nice to you.  Adding features on the fly for you and whatnot.

At least have the courtesy to say thank you on your way out to eric and the mods (MilkTruck, trent, etc etc).  You all have been treated mighty god damn well.

Enjoy it over there.

As for the lack of new stuff here, if yall had bothered to actually utilize the running side of the house to ask/answer more running questions, perhaps stuff would grow (and still could).

See ya

I think if you take out the overt anger and frustration from this post, it's actually a very valid point. No, we should not feel bad for posting here, there, or anywhere, but SRL's point was not that we should limit ourselves to one site out of loyalty or guilt. As I remember, he's been a member at both RW and RA for a loooooong time. His message, from what I can tell are as follows:

1. RWOL cares very little for its forumites, as has been demonstrated for a long time, and just because they pretty up their site, doesn't mean they give any more of a shit now. So don't leave a good place to go back to a mediocre place just because they made a nominal gesture to clean up the site.

2. When we took action, as LRB put it, we were given refuge and treated nicely here. And that should mean something when one considers leaving one site for another. That doesn't mean that we should worship RA and no one else. Posting on both or any other site is not a betrayal, it's a preference. But if we are a "One Forum" kind of poster, then maybe considering how you're treated might come into play when you're deciding where to go and stay.

3. What Luke and Lily are saying about the group being too exclusive and small is true. And as I remember it, SRL urged FROM DAY ONE for us to go to the other forums and interact with others to avoid that very problem. This site is not limited and narrow, but this user group is.....sometimes.

Did SRl come out a little abrasive? yes. but his points are valid.

SRL, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mean to speak for you.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

LRB

3. What Luke and Lily are saying about the group being too exclusive and small is true.

I honestly would prefer to not post in this thread again, but I just want to keep the record straight.  This is not directed at anyone in particular, but this group is one of the largest on this site.  It is very active and is attracting new members every week.

Many of our members (old and new) do not post, but prefer to lurk.  That is their right and I have no issue with it.

This notion that we are somehow limited in our exposure, or are locked into a set number of members on this site is simply not true.  We heard those same proclamations when we had 100 members, then again at 300 members.  We now have more than twice that amount, and are still growing.

Carry on.

MrNamtor

yeah. Hey, is it ok to use smiley faces yet?

Dr. Cornsitter

I honestly would prefer to not post in this thread again, but I just want to keep the record straight.  This is not directed at anyone in particular, but this group is one of the largest on this site.  It is very active and is attracting new members every week.

Many of our members (old and new) do not post, but prefer to lurk.  That is their right and I have no issue with it.

This notion that we are somehow limited in our exposure, or are locked into a set number of members on this site is simply not true.  We heard those same proclamations when we had 100 members, then again at 300 members.  We now have more than twice that amount, and are still growing.

Carry on.

Even better! Big grin

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

xor

I apologize for the tone of my post last night.  It's like this...

It seems like anytime RWOL does something, there's a big discussion here that ultimately involves the whole "so are we going back?" thing.

The thing is, a number of us posted in both places for about seven years (and coolrunning before that) and indeed, the world continued to go round and round.  It just isn't that hard to do both.  If you don't want to, that's fine and godspeed.  But you *can*.  It's remarkably easy.

For those of you who feel allegiance to a tightly knit group... it's good to have friends.  That's cool.  It's the internet, though - people come and go all the time.  Scotty, Buelligan, and a couple other people are probably the only ones who can say "I've been in this group FOREVER".  If you want to keep up with folks, you have to be adept at keeping up with them.  Wherever they happen to be.  Or, well, not.  Sometimes people leave.  But wringing your hands that you have to keep the band together, completely intact, in one place... ain't happening.  And never happened in the first place.

For those of you who feel allegiance to a particular site... that's a bit more troubling.  Some people don't.  For those who do, we can go back through the list of ways that RWOL has messed up.  It is well documented.  The only one I wanted to bring up again is that after people left, you were all taunted by Knabe in a weird set of posts about "the cool kids" in which he outright lied and manipulated numbers.  For those who feel allegiance to a site, THAT is what you have... that is what they think of you. Meanwhile, on this site, the management has been nothing but kind.

So if you are considering keeping an allegiance, then just consider what's what.  And realize again that there is absolutely no barrier whatsoever to posting in both places.  It's ok.

Yes, when you showed up that first day en masse, there was a rough start.  Complaints and concerns were raised.  So you were provided with a new private home so you could keep on keeping on.  And complaints and concerns were raised.  So new features were developed for you per your request that kind of showed up in the middle of the night sometimes.  These weren't built by faeries and the menehuene.  A person... flesh and blood like you... did that for you.  And other people dealt with spam.  And when questions got asked about the site, people have actually stepped up and answered what they could.  This is good stuff.  And NOW the complaint is that the place doesn't get enough "new blood" and there's not enough talking going on about running.  Ok.  Sorry I was abrasive about that, sincerely.  But sometimes it just seems like there's always going to be something to complain about.  There is new blood, maybe not as much as RWOL, but you are growing, not shrinking.  And if you want to talk about running, holy moley, talk about running.  Especially outside this group.  You don't have to stay in this single private group.  It is ok.  There's lots going on in various places.  It just isn't all stuffed into your little area.

Post in both places.  Gonna be alright.  And if RWOL seems to be "all that" and you want to go on like Navin Johnson ("the new phone books are out! the new phone books are out!"), well, alright.  But while finding the imperfections here, don't overlook the fact that people are trying to help make you happy.  As a community of runners.

As for you, Mr Namtor, the last time I showed up, you explicitly called me a dick.  Ok, fine.  I'm a dick.

To the rest of you, I apologize again.

tinman11

These cans are defective. They're springing leaks!

delicate flower

Step right up and win some crap!

<3

mucknort

onomatopoeia

My favorite word in the English language.

And the all time best song on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNxZFWZnOL8

mucknort

Why would anyone be surprised or offended by the fact that the main focus is the magazine? The forums are offspring of, and run by the magazine. DUH. I love how people get affronted by the fact that that's a priority.

Um, I'm surprised because they do such a dandy job with the magazine and the website. I'm not affronted that those are the priority, I've been affronted that they do 2 things quite well and the third thing totally half-assed. I'm a member of lots of forums and RWOL forums have been the most  poorly run of any I've seen. The only standout quality was the great members of the site.

My comment was actually a bit of a defense of those that have been put in charge of that forum. I may be wrong, but it always seemed that the admin. got very little support/money/time to do the forum right from the higher ups at Rodale.