Beginners and Beyond

Lima Foxtrot 5K - Updated with ranking! RR with a new PR (LOTS of PICS!!!!) (Read 102 times)

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone,

So today was our Lima Foxtrot 5K and I can honestly say that I simply did not want to race today. I set my alarm for 5:00am got up at 5:30am managed to finally get my mind on point and get ready for the race. I was dreading this race all morning. If we hadn't already paid for it I probably would have simply stayed in bed and slept in.

We left the house around 6:20 and headed that way. It took us about 40 minutes to get where we were going and to my surprise there seemed to be more people show up than what I expected. This was a first annual race and the turnout was around 175-200 runners.

We arrived at the Gardendale Civic Center around 7:05am. Our friends who have been doing the C25K met us there as well as my parents. I was really glad they all came, I really enjoy knowing that we have friends and family that are willing to show up and support us. Its funny though because my buddy really wanted to run it today, he is so pumped up about our upcoming race next month.

We walked over and finally got our packets picked up around 7:25am and realized we got tech shirts in our packets. That's the first time we have got something else other than the standard cotton shirt.

Here are a few pics that was taken before the race started up, enjoy!

Little Miss Cutie Pie!!!

The two in the picture here are my best friend and his wife. They have really been bitten by the running bug and we are all looking forward to their debut race next month!!

Pic of my Dad and me, can you see the family resemblance?

Ella Kate loves her Uncle Bob and Aunt Mel!

This dog's name is Walker. He has ran over 50 races with his owner who also happens to be the race director for this race. Very cool dog and a really really nice guy that put this all together.

Like momma like daughter

This one is for Scotty! Tongue

8:00 AM and its go time!!! By this point I have finally come around to being in  a better mood and am actually looking forward to this run. There was some really cool people out here and everyone just seemed to be in good spirit. I'm itching to start and really hoping to set a new PR but before I get into the details of a mile by mile synopsis here are a few more pics of the line up.

Ok! So we are off, Mile 1 went great, in fact it was my fastest mile to date. Clocked in at 7:50, I was feeling strong at this point. I had passed a lot of people already that started in front of me and I kept pushing. I can honestly say that I think my progress has a lot to do with implementing cross training into my regime. My body just feels stronger and more capable.

I keep pushing, but find myself starting to slow down. I didn't think I could keep a sub 8min pace the entire race especially considering the whole race seemed to be rolling hills. I was coming up on mile 2 and noticed my pace had slowed, I knew it was still faster than my pace from the Rumpshaker 5K so I was still shooting to beat my previous PR. Mile 2 - 8:23

I'm getting tired at this point. My pace keeps jumping between sub 8 and a little over 9, I just play yo-yo pretty much the entire last mile trying to push myself as much as possible. The heat has went up drastically and the humidity was sucking the life out of me. I finally see the finish line and try my best to pick up my pace. I cross the finish line (only a 3 mile course) with mile 3 sitting at 8:46. Now if you can do that math that's 25:00 minutes even. If this course had been a true 3.1 miles I still would have ran a sub 26min 5K. I beyond excited about this time, even at 3.1 miles I still would have broke my PR but at least a minute!!! That's a pretty big deal considering it hasn't been that long since I ran the Rumpshaker.

Here are some finish line pics!

And of my wife coming up on the finish line

Now a few things I need to explain about this race is the cause. This race was supporting the Lima Foxtrot foundation which is for severely injured military personnel. Which means there was several participants who were either doing the race in wheelchairs or who were running with prosthetic leg/foot. In fact I got beat by a 14 year old in a wheelchair! This kid was amazing and such a strong willed kid!

Just hanging out after the race was over.

Now on to the most exciting part of the day, my daughter! We didn't sign her up, or dress her to do a fun run but the very cool race director asked if she wanted to run it and she said yes. It was like a 10 dollar run but he let her run it for free, she was so excited and didn't want anyone running it with her! So without further ado here are the cutest freaking pictures in my whole RR!!!

Very cool lady running with the kids in the back, she was such a sweet lady!

Coming in for the finish

And of course EK with her cool runner's medal Smile

This was such a great race and it turned out to be such a beautiful day considering there was suppose to be rain. I will definitely run this again next year if they continue to do this race. Now for one more picture, this is of course me but I am standing with one of the guys who ran this 5K. I am sure you have heard of him and if you haven't he has his own web page. His name is Noah Galloway and you can find his webiste at www.Naohgalloway.com. He lost his arm and leg on Dec 19, 2005 in Iraq from an IED. This man is a machine and a true inspiration.

Also notice the shirt he is wearing. That was the tech shirt that we received in our race packet Wink

Hope you all enjoyed. Sorry if the quality of this RR isn't up to par with my usual. I feel its a bit sloppy but I'm tired and was just trying to get it up before bed.

UPDATE!

Overall Ranking 26 / 148

Age group 4 / 8

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Way to go buddy. I will always remember my son's first race. My goody kid did a cartwheel near the end Smile

Great pics. Its really neat that you have your friends running too. Keep up the good work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great RR, JBJ. Your daughter has nice form, great PR, and that is a great picture of you and Noah. What an inspiration that is. Very cool!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Great RR! Congrats on the PR. Your daughter is adorable.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, all of you!

I've had races when I wake up and I've considered saying in bed.  They usually turn out to be PRs or the best races I've had.  Funny how that works.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

You and your best friend look like brothers.

Congrats on the PR!  The wifey looked like she was not interested in whatever you were saying as she approached the finish line lol.

Little Blue

I was thinking the same thing, you look like brothers.

Congratulations on getting out of bed!  Looks like a fun family event, and everyone is happy with their performance.  Your daughter is adorable!

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats on a great race and PR!  Your daughter is adorable, glad she had fun, my 5yo loves the kid's runs.  That's a great picture with Noah too.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Nicely done, love all the pictures.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

workinprogress11

A runner is born!  Your daughter looks so cute and looks just like a runner at the end of the race with her medal picture.

Oh,and congratulations to you too!  It sounds like you've got some fast races in your future.  Great job.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nicely done!  Congrats to all of the progress you and your family are making.  Great to see the entire family out racing.  The little one is a cutie!

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Jimmy, congrats on another great race, and yet another PR! It looks like you will be pacing me soon, lol. Great pics, especially the one with Noah.

Hip Redux

What a nice day out with the family!    So great that everyone's getting in on running.  Smile

You got another 5K lined up yet?   Gotta see what an official 3.1 will get you!

Bin Running

Congrats on a good race and PR. Your princess is a champion!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Don't call me Buttercup!

Congrats on a fast race, and OMG, your daughter is so stinking cute.  As the mother of a stinking cute daughter, I can say that with authority. LOL    She's got a great stride, too, look at her go!  Love it! =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!