Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill running as % of annual mileage (Read 269 times)

TakeAHike

The other treadmill thread made me wonder how prevalent treadmill usage is around here.  I don't have easy access to a treadmill, so I only use one when I am traveling and have access to a hotel fitness center.  During the hot and humid summer, I really wished I had a treadmill.  I will probably feel the same way when it freezing cold this winter or even worse, 33 degrees, pouring rain and windy.  Nonetheless, I don't have one and probably won't buy one in 2013.

I am really just curious and am not looking to rehash any of the debates around treadmill vs. outdoor running. 

As for me, I will finish the year with about 1,000 miles, 22 of which were on the treadmill.  So, about 2%.  

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

happylily

About 10% of my 2600 miles were on the road this year. Wink I guess I should feel bad, anguished, or guilty. But I don't. Big grin

Right now, I'm training on the Boston course, which I downloaded on my TM at home. It's awesome and hopefully it will help me be better prepared come April 2013!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I believe my total TM mileage over my lifetime is .02% of my total lifetime mileage.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I believe my total TM mileage over my lifetime is .02% of my total lifetime mileage.

But was it at a 1% incline, George? If it was, then you don't have to worry. Big grin

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

But was it at a 1% incline, George? If it was, then you don't have to worry. Big grin

I'm inclined to think it was.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

0%, thankyouverymuch.  I run 100% outdoors. 

Running is dumb.

happylily

I'm inclined to think it was.

hahaha...

Judging by the lack of responses in this thread, I guess I'm the only TM nut around here. I need to have my head checked soon. Big grin

BenTN

Exactly 00.000% of my lifetime miles.

I've never set foot on one. However, I was tempted to use my brothers for speed work during the heat and humidity of summer. I just wasn't sure how his DW would react to me using it at 4:30 am. Okay, maybe I didn't use it because I had an idea how she might react. Smile

runmomto3boys

0%

Docket_Rocket

This year, 4. So 0.007%.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I don't have a specific record here, but I'm willing to estimate that 350 of my miles (early in the year when I was a member of a gym that did not have a track) were done on a TM. If I that's true, then that's about 11.2% of my total mileage on a TM in 2012 to this point.

Hmm...something doesn't sound right about that number, but I based that on 10 mpw on a TM (usually 2 times a week before fitness classes) and for the first 35 weeks of the year. (up to around Labour Day) It might be very well right, which really surprises me because I HATE the TM.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I run mostly on a TM. Because it's in the back bedroom and I can.

We don't have tree covered trails here. Mostly dirt. And when the wind blows, which is a lot of the time, we have blowing dirt. 

It's run on the sidewalks, or share the roads with cars. I did the 15-18 milers outside a couple of years ago. Then I got a TM.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

hahaha...

Judging by the lack of responses in this thread, I guess I'm the only TM nut around here. I need to have my head checked soon. Big grin

Counting you're going to Boston 2013, I don't think you need to have your head checked anytime soon. Maybe a urine test to make sure you're not cheating and are actually super-human! Big grin

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

3 of my 5 runs a week are spent on the treadmill! But my long runs are always outside!!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Misty

I ran on it a bunch over the summer. I live in Louisiana and found it took me a lot longer to recover/rehydrate when I ran outside every day. Plus, it was tough for ne to hit my paces during speedwork in such high tempos and dew points. So I did most of my longer runs/speedwork on the TM during the hottest months. I PR'd my July 5k and ran a good 15k race during the time when I was hitting the TM the most. So for me, outside is preferable but I don't mind the treadmill.

Misty

Bless your heart.