Beginners and Beyond

Zunday Penguinz! (Read 25 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Zelanie - good luck in your race!

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins! It is about 12F and windy here(also sunny). TGISRD!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

Morning!  Up early for coffee and oatmeal! I actually slept pretty well last night, too.  Time to see what kind of 13.1 I have in me today.  25 degrees out right now, but there's still over 3 hours until the race starts.

Gustav- Thanks!

StoneFence- Brr!  Enjoy the SRD!

Scotty- In western Oregon, it's either 40ish and raining *or* below freezing and dry.  We don't get snow, but cold like this isn't too unusual.  It lasts a few days, and then it warms up and starts raining again.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Morning.

RD for me.

Yesterday, we went to support a friend at her first race longer than a HM.  She jumped over the full and ran an ultra-marathon.  That was the first time I've been to one of those.  Very interesting event in relation to a "regular" race.  Interested...

Running for TJ because he can't.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

It's 21 degrees here with a windchill of 7. I scored a nice pair of tights at Kohl's and a long sleeve tech shirt that was lightly fleeced inside from Marshall's. My 6.2 mile run went well but the wind was a factor. At one point a strong gust blew right thru my shoes! Any way, run is done and a new weekly mileage of 50.14 miles! Weeee!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

16 miles today but I have to split it in two runs. We are off to Zion for five days and I don't have time to get it done in one and I certainly was not getting up at 3:30 to do it.

Good luck to Zel and any other racers.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pacing hubby tonight on his last 10 miler before the race.

Z, good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

5 long for me. It was supposed to be more but I wimped out. To damn cold! I'll take 80s over 30s anytime. It's 35 and falling supposed to start sleeting this afternoon till tomorrow morning. 1" accumulation possible. Snow Day!

Good luck Z! Hope it warms up a little for you.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 5 very cold miles for me this morning - 23F, feels like 8 with the wind. Legs felt sluggish but my pace didn't reflect how I felt. Just a hair over 18 total for the week, will stick to about the same weekly mileage for the next 2 weeks and then try to add a couple of miles and see how that goes.

Good luck Zelanie!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the 50 mile week, Gus.  That's a lot of miles.

4 more chilly miles with dw this morning.  About 15F.  Not one runner to be seen on the bike path.   Really hard keeping fingers warm even with 2 pairs of gloves on, but kept warm otherwise.

We are going into the city now to have lunch with dd's.

Have a great day!

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Winter finally showed up, 28*, felt like 18* with the 20mph winds, great day for 20 miles on the trails.  Actually, I can't lie, it was only 19.75.  I miscalculated my turn around and when I got back to the parking lot, my brain just wouldn't let me get that last .25, now all of my training is ruined. Joking

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Finished in 1:55:02. Update later. Smile

SheCan

Gustav-- you always make the coolest thread titles!  good for you for getting your cold run in even with the wind.  Yay@ the weekly total!

GOOOOOOOOOOOO ZZZZZZZeeeeeeelanieeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stonefence-- 12* that's so wrong!  Glad you have a rest day.

Robert-- how nice of you to support a friend at her first ultra!

Jack-- I'm guessing if you're reading this you made it to Zion.  Hope you have a fabulous trip!

DR-- good luck to you and hubby on the 10 miles.  He's so lucky to have you.

PAD-- at least you got some miles in on your snow day.

BRrrrrr@ Jerry and Lauren.  Good for you both!  2 pairs of gloves, Jerry?  Now that is serious cold.  Y'all are troopers for sure.

Dave-- dang!  You're already doing 20 mile runs for your marathon?  When is the race anyway?  Isn't it nice to get those miles on the trail instead of roads sometimes though?

I got in 16 miles.  I would say cold miles, but the rest of you wouldn't agree.  It was nice though not to have to worry about getting too warm.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Finished in 1:55:02. Update later. Smile

You snuck in there!  Great job!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson