Beginners and Beyond

Why do Penguins run on Tuesdays? (Read 20 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

So I've had a hard couple of runs and wondered, Why do I run? I don't even like it, when I look at it objectively.  Too much pain and suffering for an enjoyable hobby.   Share it with us:  Why do YOU run?

Easy miles planned for me this morning.

Brilliant

Oh, I just remembered I'll be in Vegas in 10 days.  Buffets, yum.  So I guess I run because I love FOOD!

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Pilates and 6 for me tonight.  I was just in Vegas, now I'm at work, boo.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Penguins!!  I'm back from my weekend of singing, which actually turned out to be more of a weekend of choreo and physical warm-ups, so that was all good.  My chorus is really light in the choreo area, so anything that gets us physically involved in the music is helpful.  And then I took yesterday off work to wash clothes and catch up on sleep, since I didn't make it to bed before midnight either Friday or Saturday.  Woo-hoo!!  So today is a catch-up day at work.  Bleh.

Brilliant -- I don't run, so I'm no help!! 

Docket -- enjoy your Pilates and 6!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I run to challenge myself :-P  I also like the feeling of peace I have after I'm done running, though sometimes I dread the run itself.  I also run to beat the blerch.

Today I'm doing my first workout of the Ryan Hall 10 week half marathon plan.  I'm doing the long program.. so 6x800 at GHMP.  I'm doing it on the treadmill and I was reading all of this crap about how you have to compensate for blah blah blah... anyway, that's all a bit too serious for me, so I'll just do it at .1 mph faster than what I was planning.  It isn't quite the full compensation, but I don't want to kill myself during my first run of training. It would probably be better if I went to the track, but that's not happening today because I'm afraid of trying new things... and the last couple of times I've run by the track the adjacent high school has been using it.  I don't need a bunch of teenage boys checking me out while I'm attempting speed work for the first time.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Today, it is because I have so much time and daylight to run! Big grin In general, it appeals to me on many levels: it's my alone time, but it's also my social time when I run with my club, I love putting together weeks of training where every run has a purpose, and sometimes I love running just because I need to destress with no distance or purpose in mind (though that happens pretty rarely, usually I have at least some idea of what I want to run/can run on a given day).

Heading home around 1 for a parent-teacher conference, after that I'll run at my leisure and get some work done before I have to pick up the kid. Was thinking some kind of tempo or progression, but my legs are a little stiff after lifting yesterday so I might go easy and do a medium-long instead since I have extra time.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Brill: Best of luck to you on Saturday. I would like to do that race in the future.

I've got some crazy interval run today... miles at HM pace and 10k pace, 800s at 5k pace. It's part of my HM plan.  On Saturday, after the 5k, we are going to pick up DD1 from the train station and then go on our annual trip to Zion. Man, I am looking forward to that.

See ya.

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - I hope your easy run was easy.  Have fun in Vegas. Thanksgiving weekend?   I run because I feel physically and emotionally better when I run.  I have real issues with depression which are eased by exercise.  Hiking used to help me deal with that, since being in nature also makes me happy, but since DH can't hike much anymore, neither do I. Running is a reasonable substitute.  I also like to challenge myself, which is why I race instead of just running a few easy miles all the time.  I want to improve.  I want to be able to go farther with less effort.  So I push myself, sometimes to the point where it isn't fun.

Jill - we aren't allowed to use the HS track if anybody is out there using the field - which for me means I never get to use it since I run afternoons.  My understanding about doing the 1% incline on the TM to compensate for lack of wind is that it really isn't necessary. However I usually do it because most of my outdoor running has at least some incline, so I think it's closer to reality.  Adding .1 to the speed may work for you, but if your TM timing isn't correct, you may end up going much too fast.  I think my TM has gotten faster over time, or at least it feels faster.

HopesMom - I'm glad you had a fun weekend, even if it wasn't restful.

D - I hope your lungs are doing better.  Last time I had dust issues, it took days before I stopped coughing.  Good luck with your run and Pilates tonight.

AFM:  I'll probably do the social run tonight.  I feel a lot better today, despite very little sleep. (I've had a problem with insomnia lately.) I had a lot of weird pain after my Sunday LR - pelvis, ITB, hamstring, etc. and needed a day off.  Now I'm raring to go, but the run isn't until tonight.

From the Internet.

Today I'm doing my first workout of the Ryan Hall 10 week half marathon plan.  I'm doing the long program.. so 6x800 at GHMP.  I'm doing it on the treadmill and I was reading all of this crap about how you have to compensate for blah blah blah... anyway, that's all a bit too serious for me, so I'll just do it at .1 mph faster than what I was planning.  It isn't quite the full compensation, but I don't want to kill myself during my first run of training. It would probably be better if I went to the track, but that's not happening today because I'm afraid of trying new things... and the last couple of times I've run by the track the adjacent high school has been using it.  I don't need a bunch of teenage boys checking me out while I'm attempting speed work for the first time.

Ooh exciting! Big grin As long as the effort is there, I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics! I did my first month or so of half marathon training on the treadmill last winter due to blizzardpocalypse rendering all the roads in New England useless for running, and it worked out fine. If you're not running faster than 7:00 pace or so, you don't have to compensate with incline - it's supposed to simulate wind resistance, but it doesn't come into play until 7:00 or faster.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Today, it is because I have so much time and daylight to run! Big grin In general, it appeals to me on many levels: it's my alone time, but it's also my social time when I run with my club, I love putting together weeks of training where every run has a purpose, and sometimes I love running just because I need to destress with no distance or purpose in mind (though that happens pretty rarely, usually I have at least some idea of what I want to run/can run on a given day).

Heading home around 1 for a parent-teacher conference, after that I'll run at my leisure and get some work done before I have to pick up the kid. Was thinking some kind of tempo or progression, but my legs are a little stiff after lifting yesterday so I might go easy and do a medium-long instead since I have extra time.

That is the plan I am using. I have used it in the past and have had some success with it. Keep in mind that it has three tough workouts a week (including the LR). This was too much for me during my first HM training cycle so I subbed either the intervals or tempo run with an easy day.  Good luck with it. Smile

Oh, sorry, I just saw I quoted the wrong post. That was for sapf and the Ryan Hall 10 week HM plan.  Sorry.

Philliefan33

SRD for me, so this Penguin doesn't run this Tuesday. But my reasons for running have already been mentioned. I like the exercise, I like being outside, I like to eat. I certainly don't like to run every time, sometimes I have to force myself out the door. But I like how I feel when I've been running consistently.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

That is the plan I am using. I have used it in the past and have had some success with it. Keep in mind that it has three tough workouts a week (including the LR). This was too much for me during my first HM training cycle so I subbed either the intervals or tempo run with an easy day.  Good luck with it. Smile

Oh, sorry, I just saw I quoted the wrong post. That was for sapf and the Ryan Hall 10 week HM plan.  Sorry.

Well - I'm hopeful I can handle it.  I've done.. I think 8 half marathons?  I just ran (waddled) my first full marathon on Nov 1st.  If I feel like I'm struggling too much, I'll definitely drop one of the speed work days for an easy run instead.

Today's workout went okay (at least, I survived it). I'm interested to see how I feel tomorrow.  I used my HRM for the first time in forever because it makes doing workouts on the treadmill more interesting.  I wanted to see what the intervals would do to my heart rate and how quickly I'd recover.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well - I'm hopeful I can handle it.  I've done.. I think 8 half marathons?  I just ran (waddled) my first full marathon on Nov 1st.  If I feel like I'm struggling too much, I'll definitely drop one of the speed work days for an easy run instead.

Today's workout went okay (at least, I survived it). I'm interested to see how I feel tomorrow.  I used my HRM for the first time in forever because it makes doing workouts on the treadmill more interesting.  I wanted to see what the intervals would do to my heart rate and how quickly I'd recover.

Nice! Make sure you do your best to hit your paces on the intervals. They will help A LOT and on easy days be sure to do just that. EASY.

From the Internet.

Got home from parent teacher conference, my house was chilly and I didn't feel like moving, Garmin took FOR-EVER to find satellites. Almost bagged it and took a nap instead but forced myself out anyway and had a pretty good progression run. I don't know what to call my current training paces - 2 miles easy, 2 miles harder than easy, 2 miles at how-the-hell-am-I-going-to-hold-this-for-13.1, just over a mile easy to cool down. The two harder than easy miles felt harder than they should have, I think I'll start off with 3 easy the next time I do this kind of workout (or I won't do it the day after a lifting/horseback riding day, that was probably my bad), but the two ~15k-HM pace miles felt really good - 7:54, 7:48.