Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 28 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Track work today, 4 x 1,200 / 400 on a warm, damp morning.  I had to push to finish the last one within the goal time.  7.3 overall when including the 1.5 miles run to and from the track.  This was the last day of my six-day workout cycle so tomorrow will be a rest day, which I'm looking forward to.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7 (or Pilates only, depending on what time I get home and what mile is hubby at when I do).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

'Morning!  Nice work, Fred!

I swam 2500 yards before work and kept it easy.  I've got my weekly off-road triathlon tonight.  Yes, just two days after my last race.  I have low expectations and won't kill myself since this is just a workout.

<3

onemile

I ran 9 with 2x(4,3,2,1min hard) with 2 min moderate between

Cyberic

Nice Fred. How do you like Hansons so far?

Onemile, great workout. I am afraid of those moderate recoveries.

I ran 8 with 8 x (800m / 1min)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning,

Ended up just running a little over 4 miles last night. I'm a little frustrated to be honest....seem to be just quitting right now after about 4/5 miles. It's definitely a little physical fatigue, but I think there's a lot of mental fatigue too. I just need to start going more slowly and pushing past the distances again.

I'm subbing for a coworker in a golf league tonight, so I'll have to squeeze my run in after that, which means it will likely be a shorter one again.

Hope you all have good days!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Nice Fred. How do you like Hansons so far?

Onemile, great workout. I am afraid of those moderate recoveries.

I ran 8 with 8 x (800m / 1min)

So far, so good.  The regular routine/schedule works for me and up to this point the plan hasn't given me anything I could not do.  Yes, some workouts were uncomfortable or difficult, but nothing I was unable to complete.  Overall, the plan seems to be building my confidence as well as my physical ability.

Nice job on the 800s.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

onemile

Ended up just running a little over 4 miles last night. I'm a little frustrated to be honest....seem to be just quitting right now after about 4/5 miles. It's definitely a little physical fatigue, but I think there's a lot of mental fatigue too. I just need to start going more slowly and pushing past the distances again.

Maybe you just need a post-100 season break.  

(coming from someone who needs time off mentally and physically after a marathon)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

So far, so good.  The regular routine/schedule works for me and up to this point the plan hasn't given me anything I could not do.  Yes, some workouts were uncomfortable or difficult, but nothing I was unable to complete.  Overall, the plan seems to be building my confidence as well as my physical ability.

Are you following the weekly schedule without modification or switching days?  I've never been able to follow the schedule exactly as planned and had to swap out days, but kept the workouts.  Glad to hear it's helping mentally too, especially in this heat wave.

SIAR - Perhaps a short break?  I doubt you'll lose any fitness taking a few days off to feel refreshed both physically and mentally.  (ETA - What onemile said)

onemile - That's a bold workout., 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Are you following the weekly schedule without modification or switching days?  I've never been able to follow the schedule exactly as planned and had to swap out days, but kept the workouts.  Glad to hear it's helping mentally too, especially in this heat wave.

SIAR - Perhaps a short break?  I doubt you'll lose any fitness taking a few days off to feel refreshed both physically and mentally.  (ETA - What onemile said)

onemile - That's a bold workout., 

As much as possible, yes, I'm following the schedule.  I had to move the rest day once, and also had to swap two days one week, but within a given week I've been able to get all the work done. The plan doesn't encourage racing while training, but I probably want to run one or two halves this fall, which will require some deviation from the plan.  My guess is if I can stay healthy and uninjured I'll probably get 12 - 14 of the 18 weeks done as scheduled and juggle days during the other weeks.

Baboon - Good luck tonight.

SIAR - Given Hansons recommends two solid weeks off after a marathon, those advising you to rest a bit after a 100k may not be off base.

Onemile - Nice workout.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

As much as possible, yes, I'm following the schedule.  I had to move the rest day once, and also had to swap two days one week, but within a given week I've been able to get all the work done. The plan doesn't encourage racing while training, but I probably want to run one or two halves this fall, which will require some deviation from the plan.  My guess is if I can stay healthy and uninjured I'll probably get 12 - 14 of the 18 weeks done as scheduled and juggle days during the other weeks.

Yes, I had to do this too when mixing in races to the plan.  For shorter races, I swapped the harder workouts.  I did do a half and swapped it with a 16 mi LR.  I planned to do 3 easy warm-up before the half, but I got there too late.  I ran the Half tagging along with a pacer who was pacing at my MP.  I thought that was a good swap for the 16 miler.  It was the Staten Island Half, which is a pretty cool race (except the hill).

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Cyberic

Nice, Fred. I think that's where you want to be. The workouts challenging but doable, you not feeling exhausted physically and/or mentally this early in the plan. Wednesdays off are weird at first, but they were working good for me.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Yes, I had to do this too when mixing in races to the plan.  For shorter races, I swapped the harder workouts.  I did do a half and swapped it with a 16 mi LR.  I planned to do 3 easy warm-up before the half, but I got there too late.  I ran the Half tagging along with a pacer who was pacing at my MP.  I thought that was a good swap for the 16 miler.  It was the Staten Island Half, which is a pretty cool race (except the hill).

The ones I'm looking at fall on non-long-run weeks, so I'm thinking of running easy on for the Thursday Marathon Pace run and doing the half in place of the Pace run, thus just pushing out the harder run to later in the week.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Nice, Fred. I think that's where you want to be. The workouts challenging but doable, you not feeling exhausted physically and/or mentally this early in the plan. Wednesdays off are weird at first, but they were working good for me.

I've come to think of the Hansons plan as a six-workout cycle week that starts on Thursday and ends on Tuesday, followed by a rest day.  Every cycle starts with a marathon pace run and ends with speed/strength work.  This allows for roughly a 10-day taper before the race.  Given they use 9-day cycles for their elite training, it doesn't surprise me that the schedule in the book is not a traditional Sunday - Saturday (or Monday - Sunday) week.

Docket_Rocket

SIAR, I agree with onemile.  Maybe you need a bit more time off post 100.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page