Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Equinox FriDAILY !!! (Read 23 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy Spring...

Early trip to the gym, then we run (easy).

Have a great Friday !!!

PADRunner

Morning Jerry, 6 done this morning...

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  I'll try to get some easy miles in today before the snow, at least 3 but maybe more if I'm feeling good. :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Wow, it's the equinox already?  I guess I hadn't thought about it.

I ran my 8.5 again last night.  Felt pretty good again!  The others went to the hotel bar and stopped by on their way upstairs (about 5 miles in).  So I couldn't have been missing too much excitement if they were done already, right?  Maybe do it again today, we'll see how it goes.

Jerry- Have a good easy run!  LR again this weekend?

Hi PAD- Sounds like a good run!

sapf- Hope that you get your miles in and that it doesn't snow too much!

Docket_Rocket

Morning. 5 miles sometime this afternoon. Most likely TM because I have to run in the middle of the day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, I hope you are over whatever caused you to feel bad Wednesday night.  It sounded like what I had Monday & Tuesday; are you sure you didn't sneak in a sweltering 26.2? Wink

Jill & Jerry, enjoy the easy miles today.

Damaris and Zel, happy treadmilling.

PAD, nice running.

AFM - rest day planned.  I feel good enough to run, dangit!  But I'm going to work on taxes this morning instead.  We sold a rental property this year; just shoot me now.

on my way to badass

Good Morning Penguins!  Thanks for starting us off Jerry.

PAD- you are still killing the mileage.

DR- have a good run.

Z- those of us in the Northeast have been counting down the days(now hours and minutes) until Spring.  Finally.

Sapf- sorry about the snow.

AFM-4 done this morning.  Racing tomorrow.  I decided to go with no watch or Garmin.  Its gonna feel weird(I've decided that I want to be ignorant of my splits).

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Busy day, short day. Couple things to do in the lab, lab party at 1, have to leave there at 2:30 to be on time to pick up the kid. Heading to the gym for a few minutes this morning since most of my work here involves waiting. Will maybe run a mile or two to warm up and then get in some of the strength stuff that I otherwise totally neglected this week.

on my way to badass

Hi, Brilliant and Lauren!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning PAD.  How's the new team?

Snow...oh no, sapf.

Aww, you missed happy hour, Zel.  Yes LR this weekend.

Safe trip, DR.  That race is a possibility in 2016.

Have fun with taxes, Bri.  Don't forget to recalculate the basis. Hope you made money.

Good luck tomorrow, SF.  Don't run too fast w/o the watch.

Enjoy the lab party, Lauren.

Ran 4 easy miles on the bike path.  Funny that our last 2 miles were the same pace as yesterday's tempo run.  Maybe it was the PP stop?

Now we are headed out for another Groupon lunch.

Have a great weekend !!!

GinnyinPA

Jerry - Nice and not so easy run.  Hope lunch was good.

PAD - good job on the early miles.

sapf - I hope you got a run in the before the snow started.  How much are you expecting?

Z -are you still at the conference?  Great job doing the TM miles.

DR - good luck on the TM miles later.

Brilliant - good luck with the taxes.  Does your plan give after the race instructions?  I know Higdon says not to run at all for the first week, and some have none for a couple of weeks, but some plans have you running sooner. I would think that with all the heat issues, it would be wise to err on the side of caution.

Lauren - what's the occasion for the lab party?  Hope you had a good workout.

StoneFence - which race are  you doing tomorrow?  I wear a Garmin when I race, but it doesn't really affect my race all that much except to say, "Wow, I'm going how fast?"  I do like looking at it afterwards so I can see whether I started out too fast and ran out of steam or was able to persevere through the whole race.  For longer races, it's a reminder to slow down the first miles, but generally, I still end up running by feel.

AFM:  SRD, which is good since it is still snowing hard.  We have about three inches on the grass, just slush in the street.  It's supposed to all melt off tomorrow, which will make for an interesting wet run.

Brilliant

Have fun with taxes, Bri.  Don't forget to recalculate the basis. Hope you made money.

Yes, I just rolled forward 10 years of basis adjustments and depreciation....and found a mistake in 2013.  So I get to recalculate and refile 2013 before I can do 2014.  I could cry.

Brilliant

SF, happy racing!

Lauren, have a great gym workout.

Ginny, I didn't run at all for 3 days, then an easy run yesterday.  I am really taking it easy!  The online Higdon plan I used ended on marathon day, so I didn't know what he recommended.  But it seemed to make sense to take some time off. Smile  Have a nice snowy first day of spring!

Zelanie

Ginny- The conference goes until Saturday afternoon, then we drive home.  Hope the snow season ends soon for you!  Are you planning any west coast trips this summer?