Berea Running Alums

Barefoot Running (Read 107 times)

codfish

After fucking my knees and hip and not getting through 2 months of training without injury over the past year I decided I needed to really fix my form. I read a few articles and thought I'd give running barefoot a little chance. So, I went down to our little square shaped track in Wonju and did a mile on a couple different days last week. My calves are tighter now than Jamie's mangina was when we first met. My knees feel great on the bright side and I guess only time will tell if I'm fucking up or not. Apparently our bodies are designed to run barefoot and use the muscles in our calves, feet, and hamstrings to propel us. And all this time I thought I was just supposed to stomp harder with my quads. I'm striking the ground with my mid-foot now instead of going heel toe. I can tell it definitely doesn't jar me as much but it's a strange sensation. You'll probably see me running a lot of 3 mile days for the next month.
      I've heard that everyone runs more efficiently barefoot. With my achilles problems lately I can definitely tell I feel better barefoot. You're probably on to something, if you can do it without stepping on broken glass and used condoms. Broken glass and used condoms, actually that sounds like the last lovers' quarrel you and Jimison had.
      EASY 10

evolution running vs pose running. check it out. them newton running shoes are for the style you are talking about. all on the calf man.
        codfish

I took about 2 weeks to get the soreness out of my calves and they're still a bit tender but it feels good to run on them. The bottom of my feet are a little raw but that'll get better too. I've read a bit about this POSE method and the best I can figure to do is just run the way nature intended. We can't deny millions of years of evolution and the fact that our ancestors were arguably the greatest endurance animals to exist. Navajo ran hundreds of miles a week on bare feet. Blah blah blah. Check out "Why We Run". Jamie turned me on to that book it's full of historical randomness that I don't have the patience to type. I'll let you guys know when I cut my foot open on a used condom.
            He's right about the book "Why We Run." It was written by Bernd Heinrich. Whether you are or aren't interested in what Cody is talking about, the book is very interesting. A nice read for anyone interested in running.

Slow by nature, not by choice.

that book is why i cramped through 2 marathons
                please elaborate

Barefoot running would be fine and dandy if I could do it around here, but unfortunately our ancestors didn't evolve with the luxury of running on concrete, broken glass, random car parts, soiled rags and underwear, nails and screws, and grass (oh wait a tick). Richmond doesn't have much to offer in soft terrain to run on, so I'll stick to my shoes. I do wish you luck though and hope this cures your knee and joint ailments. -shag
                    I certainly don't see the feasibility of doing it unless you have big, nice (well taken care of) grass field. I do barefoot striders which is still supposed to help strengthen those underutilized and underdeveloped muscles, but it really isn't enough. If more anatomically correct shoes were cheaper and easier to find, this discussion probably wouldn't even be happening.

I'm not blaming the book for my cramping hammies, i'm blaming it for my desire to run them in the first place....that book kicks ass
                        maybe i should read it again then. i want to get motivated for a marathon...at least a half, and it may do the trick for me.

codfish

The book is awesome true. I also have nice fat blisters with oozing juiciness on the balls of my feet. I decided to run on a hot track at noon. Apparently you can condition your feet to run on any surface other than broken glass and screws. The best way to help your form is by actually running on concrete. It sounds insane but it's like running in general, it just takes time to acclimate to it. It's a big transition to running with evolution form for me but I can see and feel the benefits already (except for the blisters). My mileage is starting to increase, and my legs have been feeling really fresh lately. I'll try and tape up the blisters and keep it up.
                          codfish

My running form has finally taken a good turn.  I try and keep the same form shod as I do running barefoot.  My feet feel stronger my legs feel looser, and the muscles I was having trouble with when I first started are developed and comfortable now.  Now, I just have to up the mileage and get in shape and see if I can set some PRs.