Berea Running Alums

2008 Review/Goals for 2009 (Read 155 times)

holby

Well it's that time of the year again. How did your 2008 go? Looking back at last year's topic on goals, it seems like a lot of people had a bad 2008. I didn't hit any of my goals for '08. In 2008 I had the lowest total mileage since I started running seriously (2003). I did get a huge 8k pr this year and I pr'ed in the 2 mile, so I guess it wasn't a total bust. New Goals -Consistent weekly mileage (over 50) -Train smarter not harder (avoid going to the well too many times) -Work on form (hill repeats, stretching, strides) Time goals: 1500 3:55 3k sub 9 5k 15:20
    stu moran

I had a great start to the year with the 65:59 1/2 at Austin, then ran a decent road 10k (30:44), but got a bit overtrained in early spring and took a down period from training from April-September (just did 40-50 mpw easy during this time). I regained my motivation at the start of the fall and ran some decent races off okay training of about 90 mpw.......the best race being a 67:58 1/2 at Kiawah Island. I only ran 1 5k road-race the entire year, a 15:09 in SC three weeks ago. I averaged about 75 mpw for 2008, despite the period of reduced training. For 2009 I am excited to train for the London marathon (on April 26). I have run enough decent 1/2 marathons and am ready to run a good marathon. If I can get in the shape I was in last January I would expect to be able to run sub 2:22. I hope to run some good 10ks and 1/2 marathons in my build-up which began this past Monday. Goals: 10k: sub 30:14 marathon: sub 2:22 (finish top 10 in UK champs) No injuries Beat Andy Baksa- he beat me twice this fall (I'll get to race him Jan 24th over 10 miles)
        our training group seems to have died hard again. hopefully it will pick back up again. my 08 was terrible. I had a nagging injury the first few months. in the middle of the summer i got in good mile shape but my legs just quit on me before i could get in a good race. i felt awful the entire fall but salvaged it with a decent marathon (though i feel like i could run much faster if i could figure out the cramps). now i'm ready to begin training for the spring. I have 6 races planned -- 5k, 8k, 5000, 10k, 1500, 5000. The goal will be sub 16 on the track, but I'll be keeping it interesting with some road racing and other distances.
          Has anyone had problems with their IT band. I hurt mine the middle of nov. and still have not recoverd. I have taken time off 3 weeks of nothing, streched it, iced it and even bought a band and foam roller. It is getting a little better cause I can run now before the pain was so bad it made running impossible. I also bought some inserts for my shoes and nothing is working. I was running about 50-60 miles a weeks for about 4 or 5 months. I just want to start again its freaking pissing me off. If anyone has an idea let me know please. Thanks.
          Dr.BlakeMain

Hey guys, this is Blake Main. I started out in the middle of May '08 and have been running since. My first day back running i ran a 5k and my time was a blistering 23:06, and then in Oct. 04 2008, I ran a 17:12 or 17:18. I only been putting in 35-45 mpw. Sometimes 50 I am running the half in Louisville (Derby 2009). I hope to get back in shape. Nice to see how everone is dooing. Thanks stu for the password.
              I can't seem to get anything on track. Achilles tendonitis has completely trashed my running. As some may know, I am getting married and leaving my job in June. I am using these as motivators as a fresh start. I am encouraged that I will be able to get things going soon enough, and be ready to run some quality races by late spring or summer. As for goals or direction, I don't really have any right now. I just want to get healthy and motivated.

Slow by nature, not by choice.

last year wasn't all bad. after a down period due to injury in late spring and early summer I rebounded for some decent training the rest of the year. this year I would simply like to build on it and average around 60 mpw while adding in more speedwork. I had too much tendancy to just do easy training runs most every day this past year and can feel the lack of speed in my legs. Also, while I still like trail racing, I don't plan on doing the whole series in dayton this year and would like to add a couple more road races and possibly an adventure race or two. Stuart told me about a new race in kentucky called the bourbon chase that would be neat to get a team into if enough are interested. timewise, I'd like to make a run at sub 16 5K again this summer.
                  If I can stay healthy my main goal is the Akron marathon. I have wanted to try a marathon for a while and since I just turned 26 why not this year. Really it all depends on if I can stay healthy. Right now my IT band is not anywhere near 100%. If I feel like I can hold it together and run the milage it will take to run a marathon I will. if not than I'll have to see what happens, maybe I can run some shorter track races. I plan on making a decision by the middle of February, until then im just going to be running easy and taking care of myself. Dont really have any time goals yet but I would like to get my weight down about 7-10 pounds. Good luck to everyone this year.
                  stu moran

Jamie; Pleased to hear you are getting married.........congratulations. Where are you going to settle when you get married? That's annoying about the tendonitis, hope it lets up so you can run some. Stu
                      We'll probably be in the Louisville area unless I find a job in Ohio. I may begin on my Doctorate if I get accepted into UK's Exercise Science program. I think I'm almost completely healthy, but it's just such a pain to start from scratch.

Slow by nature, not by choice.

Ran good up until knee injury in May then all went down hill from there. Could not run faster then 18:35 for 5k. So 2008 was just a bad year for me. As for 2009, I am just looking for a better year. Maybe a PR in something but for the most part just run some weeks at the same mileage instead all over the chart. Try to stay healthy and just have fun. Run for me again instead of feeling like I have to do this race or that.
                          I was hoping to find a reasonably close half-marathon in mid-May. I didn't think that was going to happen, but then I found the Historic Half in Fredricksburg. I'll probably shoot for 1:14 or 1:15.