Berea Running Alums

long descent (Read 130 times)

Has anyone else noticed how Berea's teams get worse and worse every year. Looking at the results now makes me cringe a little. Not to knock anyone individually or to say that the whole team is bad, but as a whole it stinks. I also had to chuckle when I looked at the Cumberland results. I would have liked to have brought my middle schoolers to it. They certainly could have embarrassed the last few people in a lot of events.
      in the defense of many competitors, there was a consistent 20 to 25 mile per hour headwind on the homestretch all day long. that's why my 10.5 100 meter runner won with an 11.05. it also affected the javelin, shot, and discus. it made it pretty tough in most of the events.

Slow by nature, not by choice.

holby

I think that Jarod and Trey show some promise. They could be mid 15 guys if they take the initiative.
          I remember having that wind every other meet my senior year. It was pretty frustrating. It looks like Nash is still throwing well and like I said I'm not trying to say anybody in particular stinks, it just seems that the program is sliding pretty quickly.
          holby

They need a real assistant in there to help with training. Coach still gets a good amount of talent but there just isn't anyone to actually coach the athletes. I don't think it's going to get any better either. Stu was the best possible coach we could have had when I went to Berea and coach J didn't even pay him enough to cover gas cost.
              Do they have an assistant at all? I remember the year after I graduated they had that high school coach that claimed all of those world records, and then the sprinters started thinking that winning the "State" meet actually meant something. They probably would have been better off without someone like that.
              holby

They have some guy who said something to the effect that he had a sprinter who wasn't that fast in the 400. He could run a 49 so he decided to work on this sprinters endurance and he was able to go out in 49 and hold on to run a 51 the next lap. So basically, he's a dumb ass.
                mike johnson

Okay guys, I have recently been pointed to this message board by one of my athletes. I do not appreciate you all criticizing the Berea College Athletic program and especially criticizing my coaching. I've read what you ex-runners have been writing about my track program on here and frankly I don't like it one bit. My win-loss record in both track and field and cross country speaks for itself. I have coached numerous NAIA National Qualifiers and All-Americans during my tenure and I will not have my program's reputation ruined by you jealous people. I know who you all are, and you can rest assure that I will weed you all out over the next few years, starting with those of you who still reside in Berea.
                    I can honestly see why you would be offended, but I don't think anyone meant that as a personal attack. As former athletes its only natural to comment on the current state of the old school. I think its fair to say the program is less successful than previous generations (honestly I think we have been slowly getting worse since my time there) and I really did not mean that as a slam against you or any individual athletes. That is partially why I began the thread, I really wondered what's happening. I know that you have coached a lot of successful teams and I'm assuming your coaching hasn't changed much, so the mystery is what is different. Have I criticized your coaching before...certainly, but I have always maintained respect for you as a coach and a person. I apologize for offending you. If you hate me for it, thats fine. That's all the drama I can handle for a while.
                    holby

I really don't think Coach got on here and wrote that. "I know who you all are, and you can rest assure that I will weed you all out over the next few years" Thats hilarious Jimmison
                      EASY 10

regardless of whether coach got on to this thread or not, we have to understand that everything comes in cycles. one cannot be a 'winning' team all the time. there is a down time and an up time, you win some and you lose some. it is all up to the athlete in the end and the commitment betweent athlete and coach. as an avid runner and 'not a competitor' i dig the idea of challenging yourself and not a standard set by some dude and trying to achieve a goal that most of us will not reach. but thats just me talking. oh man, i found this midevil trail that will knock the socks off of you.
                          I spoke with coach Johnson today, but he didn't mention anything about this site, and I doubt it was him. I also doubt it was me, because I've been too busy to even think of something like that....although I wish it was me. So...it's either one of the two people that have actually had a lot to say on this topic trying to scare the other, OOORRRRR another party quietly observing their handiwork. Anyway, I do agree with Raul about the Ebbs and Flows of sports. Teams can't be all good all the time or vice versa.

Slow by nature, not by choice.

Well it wasnt me either but damn who ever it was it really fooled me at first. I also spoke with coach today and nothing was said about this so I doubt it was him. I thought it was Zach and I find it weird that zach posted right before coach did. HMMMMMM.
                            holby

Well it definitely wasn't me even though I have a history of impersonating Mike Johnson on the internet. I doubt it's him for several reasons: "I know who you all are, and you can rest assure that I will weed you all out over the next few years" Coach wouldn't say that because I don't think he's the threatening type. It was posted at 10:17 p.m. which is pretty late for him "jealous people" again I don't see coach name calling. And he would need the password to get in here. Well, I guess that wouldn't be too hard to figure out through trial and error though.