Bayshore Marathon

Lodging? (Read 382 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wondering what are the best lodging options for race day. It doesn't appear that there are any specific shuttles from hotels to race start. Is there ample parking at race start/finish? Any (cheap) hotel recommendations?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, Baymont Inn looks the best for the price...$90/night for a room with 2 queen beds and they have a pool. Most likely DH and DS would come, since I'm not quite ready to run a marathon unsupported.

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

I'm not quite ready to run a marathon unsupported.
        Sounds painful, indeed. Tongue

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds painful, indeed. Tongue
          For me, especially. I think Heather could do it, though. *ducks* Hey, are you still planning to do Bayshore? It would be so cool if we could get ALL of MI's RA contingent there, even those who don't run it, like Velich (he's still battling SF/leg issues Sad).

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

Hey, are you still planning to do Bayshore? It would be so cool if we could get ALL of MI's RA contingent there, even those who don't run it, like Velich (he's still battling SF/leg issues Sad).
            I'm leaning against running it right now. Still not totally right (rt knee), but we'll see. After a 2+ week hiatus I'm concerned that I could even get through a 10k right now. Sheesh, it's amazing how quickly fitness falls off... Yeah, I'm making excuses mostly. The desire to run it is there, lord knows it'd be fun w/all you boobs being up there, but the timing is bad. So we'll see. Best I got. bleh. And Rick is STILL having problems? Man, that poor guy has had a hell of a time. Sheesh.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mike, what's the exact knee issue? My right knee is still sassy from time to time. Like today...wore my lightweight stability shoes for the first time in almost a month (don't like the clunky Gore-Tex trail shoes for long runs and the roads were pretty good). By 9 miles in my right knee was complaining. I haven't really had right knee issues much in weeks...so I apparently need to give it up on the garish blue shoes for probably anything much more than 5-6 miles. Sad Stinks, 'cause I have 2 pairs still in the middle of their lifespan, one with 20 miles to go 'til retirement, and one still in box (I stocked-up when they were discontinued). Looks like I need to sell that NIB pair on eBay. Have you tried changing shoes? Have you seen the doc? Maybe it's time to see an orthopedist and consider orthotics. Confused I hope you find a solution soon. It's no good running in pain.

~ Sarah Kay

KvnJns

Sheesh, it's amazing how quickly fitness falls off...
                Well, the good news is that you still have more than 5 months to get your fitness back. Lots of time, no worries.

Kevin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, the good news is that you still have more than 5 months to get your fitness back. Lots of time, no worries.
                  Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Hail to The Victors!

I'm leaning against running it right now. Still not totally right (rt knee), but we'll see. After a 2+ week hiatus I'm concerned that I could even get through a 10k right now. Sheesh, it's amazing how quickly fitness falls off... Yeah, I'm making excuses mostly. The desire to run it is there, lord knows it'd be fun w/all you boobs being up there, but the timing is bad. So we'll see. Best I got. bleh. And Rick is STILL having problems? Man, that poor guy has had a hell of a time. Sheesh.
                    Yeah, a few excuses, maybe. ;-) You haven't got much to worry about until about 4 weeks, then it starts falling off pretty hard. You can look at my Apr-June 5K times to see the times go up. Rest up a bit longer, and get well!
                      Zoom, On the lodging question anyplace will be fine there is plenty of parking on the campus. You may have to walk a little to the start but really no biggie. Just don't wait to book it. I waited to long last year and luckily found a room in Acme but had to pay $145 a night the next closest was petoskey I believe. So book early. Unfortuantly there are only a couple places for support people to find you on the course because the roads are mostly closed during the race. They have a bus shuttle system but everyone I talked with do not recomend it. Just drive the route the night before so they know how to get around. My wife dropped me off and came back and met me at the finish. I still have not signed up because my son and his wife are expecting a baby right around that time and I was afraid I would be in Oklahoma then. I just learned last night that he is getting deployed December 26th to the mid east and asked if his wife could stay with us while he is gone for 6 months so she is not alone while going through pregnancy and labor. So the bottom line is I may be in Michigan at that time and will most likely be there also. I would love to meet up with some of you. I will probably make the final decision by the first of the year after we get this all settled. And by the way Q if you decide to train I would be more than willing and somewhat grateful for the company to meet you for some of those looooonnng runs in the build up. I live in Grand Blanc but have friends in Brighton so I am sure we could work something out. Think about it! And why am I excited about training all winter again? Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And why am I excited about training all winter again? Larry
                        It's not excitement...it's well-disguised insanity! Wink Those closed-course races are tricky. A lot of GR is like that and it made it tough for Q's wife and I to see him on the course in a few spots. Good luck to your DIL with the pregnancy and having her hubby away. May he return safely to you guys and his new baby.

~ Sarah Kay

BLAZE

We were talking about the Great Wolf Lodge. I'm planning on going without the family now though, was gonna be gals get a way, well now maybe alot of RA peeps get away? Big grin Are you looking at staying just the night before the race? Both nights? I can drive the van which will definately fit us gals and all our crap! Wink
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you looking at staying just the night before the race? Both nights? I can drive the van which will definately fit us gals and all our crap! Wink
                            Both nights...race start is 7am, so I will probably want to be there ~6. It's a 3 hour drive or more, IIRC. I think the boys will probably go, so we're kind of looking at the Baymont--cheapest place with queen beds.

~ Sarah Kay

BLAZE

Okay I plan on getting registered this weekend. Let me look into some hotels too. Maybe we can at least stay at the same place.

Think Whirled Peas

And by the way Q if you decide to train I would be more than willing and somewhat grateful for the company to meet you for some of those looooonnng runs in the build up. I live in Grand Blanc but have friends in Brighton so I am sure we could work something out. Think about it! Larry
                                Dammit. Now I might do it. Thanks Larry. Dammit. email me --> mmckeown @ agatesoftware. c o m