Bayshore Marathon

ipods & Bayshore (Read 282 times)

KvnJns

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,I was checking up on the Bayshore website this morning and how did I miss reading this before. No radio/tape, I-Pod, MP3 player, or similar head sets are permitted due to our RRCA insurance policy and for the safety of the participants. This is going to kill me. I did run the Navy 1/2 without my ipod and that sucked BAD. How in the world am I going to run an additional 13.1 without tunes? There are only so many things that I can think about for 4+ hrs. How many of you have ran 26.2 without music and how in the hell did you do it?

Kevin

Think Whirled Peas

I started my running career using an iPod every day, but eventually weened myself off of it. The only time I use it now is when I'm on the dreadmill. I have trouble telling people what I think about during my runs, but mostly it's just random things from my day, mixed in w/some periodic running thoughts. Oh, it doesn't hurt that it gives me time to converse w/all the other voices in my head too. Wink Nearly every race I've been to there has been a ban on headsets, and every race there are people who openly ignore it. Not that I'm advocating you breaking any rules, er nothin', but sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do. 26.2 miles is a long damn way, bro.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

corland

This is a fun topic Kevin. If you sift through the general forms chances are you'll find a thread somewhere about it. Some runners get pretty heated about the subject. There's always those who ignore the rule. Im with Q and could really care less. If people are more comfortable running with an ipod, then I say do it. I wear an MP3 player when I run over 90 mins by myself and anytime on the treadmill. If I'm going out for anything less I don't wear it. I've gone some stretches for a month or two without it, then when I try a run with it on I remember how much enjoyment music can add. I'm a little afraid that some race at some point will have people on the course writing down bib numbers, but I havent heard of anything like that happening around here yet. In fact there was an email from the RD in Grand Rapids suggesting that he didn't really care. When I ran my first marathon in Detroit everyone told me to leave it home. I was a little uncomfortable with the idea so I wore it under one of my shirts and clipped the ear buds to my shirt collar. I turned it on at the 1/2 way point.
        BLAZE

I hardly ever run with mine. I guess if your not dependent on it, you're okay. If you have to use it, I would sneak it in and hope you don't get caught. Wink
          KvnJns

Well, I guess the good news is that I have a few months yet of training to start running more without the ipod. I'll just have to see how it goes. Thanks for all the input and views. I have another friend who is considering running his first Marathon and I know that Cory has already recieved a voice mail from him asking for Cory's oppinion about this very topic, sorry Cory, it's my fault for mentioning it to Randy. But the good news is that I may have talked him into the Full instead of the 1/2. Now we just need to get him back out there running more, he has slacked off since the CCRR.

Kevin

corland

Well, I guess the good news is that I have a few months yet of training to start running more without the ipod. I'll just have to see how it goes. Thanks for all the input and views. I have another friend who is considering running his first Marathon and I know that Cory has already recieved a voice mail from him asking for Cory's oppinion about this very topic, sorry Cory, it's my fault for mentioning it to Randy. But the good news is that I may have talked him into the Full instead of the 1/2. Now we just need to get him back out there running more, he has slacked off since the CCRR.
              I got it late last night and I assume he was working. Distance running seems to come pretty easy to him. Like I said, I dont think you'll have a problem with ipods but there's never any gaurantee. Sure music is a nice distraction and maybe it will motivate you to run a little faster or a little farther, but I promise you it wont be that big of an advantage/disadvantage. If either one of you allow it to be a determining factor in whether or not you run it... well I'll have a serious bone to pick with you.
                I saw plenty of people with IPODS last year at Bayshore. Its an insurance thing I think. I did not use mine during the race and really didn't miss it. The excitment of the race and all the people on the course kept me entertained. I always run with music and can not imagine Sunday long runs without it as a distraction but I really don't miss it inthe race . I guess I am not brave enough to test the level of enforcement. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I'm with you, Larry, during those long runs alone it is hard without music, but during a race, it's different. I used to run with one all the time until the Brooksie half this year. I accidentally forgot it at home so I had no choice but to run without it...I'm glad that happened! It is a totally different race experience without an MP3, especially when there is course entertainment!
                    I typically run alone, so my ipod is a must for training runs, either inside or out, regardless of distance. No music though, just podcasts. I never wear it for races though. My garmin is enough distraction, along with the other peeps as well as looking out for the sneaky camera guy (no barf on film!). The crowds and other runners are enough to keep me going. As others have said; whatever works for you.
                    -Andrew