The Bike Shop

YouTube bicycle crashes (Read 31 times)

hard to watch crashes.

Sometimes, it makes us ride safer.

Sometimes, it makes us mad.

This one is quite disturbing and the quality of video is too good.

I believe this happened this past weekend.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xhristopher

Been there. Done that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ugh...I threw up a little in my mouth watching that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Village people

That looked awful!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm glad there was no video of this:

What happens when the front person in a paceline (someone with decades of riding experience who simply sucks at group riding...always guns the pace when she's the lead and makes snide comments if the person in the lead isn't rolling at the pace she deems adequate.  I nearly gave up riding with this group when I was a new rider 3 years ago) fails to alert riders behind to debris in the road...

The rider in front of me actually hit the debris, it tangled in her frame, cracked her carbon frame, brought her to a screeching halt, and I plowed into her (I was bringing up the rear).  Her bike (new to her <1 year ago) is destroyed.  Mine needs a new shifter and tape.  We're both banged-up.  I'm pissed that yet another ride has been stolen to me due to things outside my control.  I've yet to break 100 miles in a single week this year, when typically I hit that milestone before May.  This week it won't happen, either.  Kinda thinking I won't be doing a century next month, either, now... Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Zoomy

I saw your Face Book feed...bummer stuff.

What brand and model bike was your friend riding? Most mfg's will offer something like a 50% discount on a replacement frame that has been involved in a crash. Helmets too.

Pace Lines...I love em and I hate em.

The two groups I ride with rarely fall into an organized pace line. If we are plowing into a head wind we'll draft but usually in those situations the pace is slow...A sit and spin so to speak. what usually will happen is two or three want to hammer and they'll go out in front of everybody else.

My races today are more of the attrition type. We will draft in two's or threes so training in a large pace line isn't benefitting us. But it is fun to go fast while putting in little effort.

Accidents are more likely to happen in pace lines and the longer the pace line goes on the higher the risk of accident because people tend to get comfortable and let thier guard down.

Haveing an in-expeirenced rider or a bull head like you did just adds to it.

Glad everyone walked away.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What brand and model bike was your friend riding? Most mfg's will offer something like a 50% discount on a replacement frame that has been involved in a crash. Helmets too.

Accidents are more likely to happen in pace lines and the longer the pace line goes on the higher the risk of accident because people tend to get comfortable and let thier guard down.

Haveing an in-expeirenced rider or a bull head like you did just adds to it.

Glad everyone walked away.

Thanks!  She was on a Specialized Tarmac.  She just bought it used <1 year ago.  Beautiful bike.  I know Specialized generally is good about replacements/repairs.  Not sure how that will be handled when she's not the original owner, though.  A friend of mine thinks she has a good left Rival shifter (she had a right one damaged on an older bike of hers when she lent it to a friend), so I may be able to score a replacement for mine cheap, too.

The sad thing about this paceline accident is that it was 1.5 miles into what should have been a 30 mile route.  My friend with the damaged bike and I both caught the irresponsible woman say to another rider before we took off "oh, good, you're here...you can help keep the pace up."  What the hell?!  We weren't there to train for a criterium, we were there to have a nice evening ride at a moderate, agreed-upon pace without a bunch of pecker-waving.

~ Sarah Kay

Sorry to hear.  Scary stuff.

Your goals were:
                  '13 Goals: DON'T BREAK ANYTHING!!!

I think you were talking about the bones in your body (if I remember correctly), and I'm glad that more damage wasn't done to you.  I hope that "banged up" implies scrapes and road rash and that you're ok or will be ok soon.

I hope you're able to get out and enjoy riding soon.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Slo

we were there to have a nice evening ride at a moderate, agreed-upon pace without a bunch of pecker-waving.

Big grin  Gotta admit, I'm guilty of this a lot...lol

1.5 miles in...You guys don't believe in a warm up? Or did everyone get a warm up in riding to the meet up spot?

As far as your friend, Original owner or not I'd give it a try.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Big grin  Gotta admit, I'm guilty of this a lot...lol

1.5 miles in...You guys don't believe in a warm up? Or did everyone get a warm up in riding to the meet up spot?

As far as your friend, Original owner or not I'd give it a try.

Pecker-waving is fine, if the point of the ride is something that includes some stop sign sprints.  I've done a few of these rides and they're fun--when that's the intent of the ride.

Yeah, no warm-up...just throwing down as hard as possible to keep up with the scrawny old broad.  There was a new rider last night that I hope wasn't too shook up by what happened.  That's the sort of thing that could put a person off of paceline riding for good.

~ Sarah Kay

Village people

Oh no! I am glad that you are both okay, but your bike Sad

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry to hear.  Scary stuff.

Your goals were:
                          '13 Goals: DON'T BREAK ANYTHING!!!

I think you were talking about the bones in your body (if I remember correctly), and I'm glad that more damage wasn't done to you.  I hope that "banged up" implies scrapes and road rash and that you're ok or will be ok soon.

I hope you're able to get out and enjoy riding soon.

Yup, just bruises and scrapes (I woulda fucking gone off on that stupid old crone who caused the wreck if either of us had been more seriously hurt -- as it is I think I'm done with this women's ride).  Somehow my friend actually has very minimal abrasions.  Just my left shifter got trashed.  A friend has a bike with the same shifters and her right one got ruined when a friend borrowed it, so she's happy to give/sell us the left one.  Otherwise we're talking about upgrading my shifters to Force (to match my crank, ha!).

I just got back from a FABULOUS ride on my CX bike.  I am so fortunate to have several bikes to pick from when one is not functional.

~ Sarah Kay

Hip Redux

Pecker-waving is now my new favorite term.

So glad you weren't hurt Zoom!

Pecker-waving

scrawny old broad.

Are you sure she's not a dude?

BTW, sucks about your brifter and glad nobody was seriously hurt.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you sure she's not a dude?

BTW, sucks about your brifter and glad nobody was seriously hurt.

Ha, could be a dude...she has no boobs.  But she's like 4'11" and probably 90#s.  I could kick her ass...wish I'd had the presence of mind to do so.  I'm thinking no one would press charges under the circumstances! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay