The Bike Shop

X-post from SBR forum: Dying battery on Garmin cadence/speed sensor...? (Read 123 times)

Needs more cowbell!

I'm hoping this is what I'm dealing with.  Since it just got COLD and a little snowy here and the kid was home for teacher inservice I had no choice but to drag the bike and trainer into the house.  Got set up, in the saddle, Garmin on, started pedaling, hit start...flaky cadence, no distance or speed #s.

Reset the cadence/speed sensor and it flashed red/green, like it should.  But still is not paired with the Garmin (I think I got it to briefly pair, but then the little cadence sensor symbol in the accessories settings had the flashing x over it, again).  Tried re-pairing.  No dice.  Hrmmmm...  Sounds like this button battery is good for about a year.  Bike will be a year in exactly 1 week.

Any other thoughts?

MTA: we had a fresh battery, so I tried that...no change.  When I'm attempting to pair the devices I get the red flash every time the pedal/cadence magnet crosses the sensor, but no green light from the wheel.  The entire shebang appears to need to be re-paired every time I'm turning the Garmin off, too.  Huh?

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Needs more cowbell!

Figured it out...somehow the spoke magnet got bumped out of place by about a mm. Roll eyes Probably happened sometime this Summer, but went unnoticed as the GPS was measuring speed and distance outdoors.

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)