The Bike Shop

Ohhh, yeah.... Saguaro NP rocks! (Read 205 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow, had a fantastic bike ride today!  I was out on the Saguaro National Park route here in Tucson, AZ.  That road is an 8 mile mostly 1-way, low-traffic, EXTREMELY HILLY scenic ride.  Today was my second time on that road. The first time I rode it, it TOTALLY kicked my tail!  But was beautiful and worth it.  It took me an hour that first time, near exactly, to do that 8 mile road.  (I told you it was hilly!)

Today, knowing a bit more what I was getting in to, I was able to take the quick rolling hills a little faster and had some fun on them.  The monster hill that just goes on and on and on... was still a monster.  But this time I'd brought my heart-rate monitor.  I would ride until I reached 90% of my max HR, stop and rest until I was down to 75%, then repeat.  That made it easier, knowing that when it was getting unbearable I'd be able to stop and rest, wherever I was on that hill.  I think the hill was easily 2 miles long... maybe three.  I don't have a bike computer yet.  (Maybe next year for that!)

I rode that whole monster hill in my lowest gear... same as last time.  Lowest gear and STILL getting up to 90% of my MHR about every one hundred yards or so?  I know I'm not in great shape, but this is a tough hill!  Naturally I was passed (again!) by several better riders who didn't need to stop on the way up.  This road is a favorite of cyclists, I've noticed.

I'm going to keep coming back.  Someday, I won't have to stop and rest on that course...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Very cool!  Arizona sounds like such a great place to ride.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend the Garmin Forerunner as a bike computer.  You have to have one with wireless capabilities, like the 305 or 310XT, but with the speed/cadence sensor it's really awesome.  Plus you can use it indoors on the trainer.  When my 305 dies I will probably upgrade to the 310XT.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay