The Bike Shop

Hello (Read 226 times)

KvnJns

I thought I might just introduce myself. I am Kevin and I have big plans on getting a road bike to use as another form of cross training. I also have had a few ideas of competing in either a duathlon or triathlon. Anyway, I thought I might be able to pick up on a few things from this group. Looking forward to hearing (reading) everything you all have to say.

Hi Zoomy,

Kevin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*waves like a madwoman* Hi, Kevin!  You should plan to do the Steelcase duathlon next April!  It's a really fun race (assuming better weather...the bike portion was monsoon-ish). Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

KvnJns

*waves like a madwoman* Hi, Kevin!  You should plan to do the Steelcase duathlon next April!  It's a really fun race (assuming better weather...the bike portion was monsoon-ish). Big grin

I would love to however, I will still be several thousand mile away yet. I don't get home until May or June. I am looking at buying my bike in Feb when I come home for my 2 week R & R. The guy at the bike shop said that that is a great time of the year to get a new bike, they will have all the 2011 models. Over the next 10 months I will be logging all my bike miles on a stationary bike. I'll likely be looking for some fall races.

Kevin

Slo

Ahh man.....No way could I buy a road bike in Febuary and then sit there and look at it over the next month or two waiting for the snow to melt.

Zoomy.....you would'nt do that would you ?

Hawk, you can always find good deals on bikes anytime of year......why wait? 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahh man.....No way could I buy a road bike in Febuary and then sit there and look at it over the next month or two waiting for the snow to melt.

Zoomy.....you would'nt do that would you ?

Hawk, you can always find good deals on bikes anytime of year......why wait? 

No, I would get mine in November, then ride the trainer for months, then be in for a real treat come March. Big grin

Kevin, I think closeouts are starting now, since the 2011s are about to come out.  NOW is the time to look, when in-store stock of discounted 2010s will be at their peak.

~ Sarah Kay

KvnJns

Even if I bought it now I still can't ride it until next year, mid-summer. You see I am deployed with the Army National Guard. I get to come home for a 2 week break in Feb. I won't be done with this deployment until May or June of next year. My plan is to get fitted and buy in Feb that way I will be ready to ride as soon as I get home. I'll pick up my riding shorts, helmet, gloves, etc... online while I am in Iraq and have them sent home. Maybe I can sweet talk to salesmen to give me a military discount .

Kevin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe I can sweet talk to salesmen to give me a military discount .

Definitely give that a try!  Our favorite LBS always gives us a discount on bikes just for being us. Big grin

How far are you willing to travel to find a bike?  We LOVE our shop in Holland.  Ask around, I'm sure there are a few good ones in the Ionia area.

~ Sarah Kay

KvnJns

I went to Kentwood Cycle & Fitness on Aug 3rd when I was home for 4 days. They seemed pretty nice. I am open for some travel and Holland really isn't that far. What brands do they sell and do they have a website? Maybe we could hook up for a double date lunch and then head to that shop afterwards while I am home in Feb.

Kevin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Velo City Cycles is our shop.  Here are the brands they carry.  Cannondale is their "big" brand.  Not a big shop, but a very friendly one.  Across the street from the New Holland Brewery and next door to the Curragh Irish Pub...pretty sweet! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay