The Bike Shop

tandem bike wtf (Read 29 times)

aponi

never runs the tangents

Twice now while I've been out running or riding I've seen two guys on a tandem bike. I've seen tandem bikes before but it was always on boardwalks on the beach with most likely happy newlywed couples giggling down the strip. This is different, this is like a tandem road bike with these two guys on it who look rather serious about what they're doing.

I can't wrap my brain around it. I tried pretending that I hadn't seen it, you know maybe a flashback from college but my husband came back from a run a little while ago and said "hey I saw these two guys out on one of those tandem bike things". It can't be a shared hallucination.

so what the heck is that about?

as a side note I could never ride one of those with my husband

We can't even ride in a two-man kayak. We tried it once. There was a lot of "right RIGHT RIGHT"..."my right or your right"..."we're facing the SAME DIRECTION"...and then it turns into an open water swim.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

snapa55

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)

Slo

Nothing New...

Mens Tandem track racing used to be an olympic sport. I'm not sure when they dropped it.

We also have a blind rider here. He used to be a Class 1 MTB'r. He lost his sight because of some type of infection that left scar tissue in his eyes. He's on a tandem road bike with another guy all the time.

Pro teams will sometimes train tandem.

And of course, maybe they're just a couple. Which brings to mind...I always refered to tandems as relationship accelerators.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have a tandem...we bought it primarily for our kid to ride with us.  The bike can accommodate something like a rider from 4'-6' on the back with a telescopic rear seatpost.  This thing can haul some serious ass and has clearance for CX tires, so we sometimes go bomb-around on backroads with it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bad ass tandem

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That S-Works looks SO uncomfortable!!

~ Sarah Kay

Hip Redux

as a side note I could never ride one of those with my husband

We can't even ride in a two-man kayak. We tried it once. There was a lot of "right RIGHT RIGHT"..."my right or your right"..."we're facing the SAME DIRECTION"...and then it turns into an open water swim.

They don't call them "divorce boats" for nothing!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To be fair, it's only recently that I can tolerate the tandem.  I think because we previously had the stoker handlebars too low.  I love being low on my road bike, but on the tandem being low meant my helmet was pretty much touching my DH's back unless I angled my head back...which hurt.  If we weren't nearly a foot different in height it wouldn't be an issue.  Putting the handlebars a bit higher up and closer to me made a world of difference in my comfort and view.

~ Sarah Kay

To be fair, it's only recently that I can tolerate the tandem.  I think because we previously had the stoker handlebars too low.  I love being low on my road bike, but on the tandem being low meant my helmet was pretty much touching my DH's back unless I angled my head back...which hurt.  If we weren't nearly a foot different in height it wouldn't be an issue.  Putting the handlebars a bit higher up and closer to me made a world of difference in my comfort and view.

The link that snapa55 provided and the picture within it gives me a picture of your challenge. 

At least it was your DH.

I wouldn't ever race one of those bikes.

I've had 'bad' GI issues before while riding, and I wouldn't want Engine #1 to have exhaust issues if I'm Engine #2.
                    Likewise, I wouldn't want to be Engine #1 having exhaust issues for the poor sole who's Engine #2.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The link that snapa55 provided and the picture within it gives me a picture of your challenge. 

At least it was your DH.

I wouldn't ever race one of those bikes.

I've had 'bad' GI issues before while riding, and I wouldn't want Engine #1 to have exhaust issues if I'm Engine #2.
                      Likewise, I wouldn't want to be Engine #1 having exhaust issues for the poor sole who's Engine #2.

Ha, there is no Mexican food happening within 24 hours of a tandem ride! Wink

I think DH has talked me into a couple of gravel road races in the next year.  Oh, lord, help me!!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

More tandem goodness...

~ Sarah Kay

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Hip Redux

Wait... what?  How the?  ???

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wait... what?  How the?  ???

Yeah, that just looks like an accident waiting to happen...

~ Sarah Kay

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Still not entirely sure how it works...

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.