The Bike Shop

commuter hygiene (Read 144 times)

i know a lot of people on these boards commute by bike whenever/wherever possible even if that means showing up a little musty. sometimes i just dont care, usually because its a quick errand like the bank or liquor store. but theres a lot of places where i feel like an asshole walking around with sweat dripping and salt deposits on my face. places like friends houses, bars, grocery store, restaurants, i want to be a little more presentable and respect other peoples air. when a shower is unavailable, what do you do to "get fresh" after a ride?

i always have at least an extra shirt and dry undies with me but if i know im gonna be hanging around somewhere ill add everything else and pre-spray everything with cologne before i leave. sometimes ill bring a ziploc with the basic hygiene products (toothbrush, deodorant, q-tips) that way i can get a sink shower. beyond that i try my hardest not to sweat, but that never goes well.

Slo

In the summer time I sweat even if I'm in my car.

If you practice good hygiene daily then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Towel off, a little deodorant spray and go. From your post it sounds like you may be a heavy sweater...Not much you can do there. How far are you commuting?

Toothpaste and Q-tips, dry undies...are you spending the night? With this it almost makes it seem like your way overly concerned.

Find the large baby wipes. They come in travel packs, carry easily and they're great for a quick wipe down.

My biggest problem with running errands and what not had been the butt crack sweat making it through my shorts/pants. I've found baggy bike shorts and bike pants with liners and or pads that absorb the sweat and they look like regular pants and shorts. Another alternative is to wear tri shorts. The pads in these are much thinner and designed to dry quickly. They easily wear under your regular clothes...unless your into the skin tight jeans I suppose.

The other issue is sweating underneath my backpack. I don't have an answer there yet.

If you want to be a regular commuter then you have to accept it as a life style. There are going to be some give and takes...not everything is going to be convenient for you and at times you may offend others...so be it.

MTA:

I couldn't remember the name of it but here's something worth a try. Rocket Shower

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Commuted yesterday, for the first time this year. Since it's almost 34 miles each way, it takes planning - I leave a bag with work clothes, a towel, and a clean pair of bibs for the ride home. The bag with the dirty clothes, towel, and toxic bibs comes home with me the next day, so it's almost a 3 day process.

I'm fortunate to have a shower available at work, otherwise I really couldn't do this, and even so it's not likely to happen more than once a week as there's only so much I'm willing to get up at 4:30 in the morning to ride all by my lonesome.

did

In the summer time I sweat even if I'm in my car.

If you practice good hygiene daily then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Towel off, a little deodorant spray and go. From your post it sounds like you may be a heavy sweater...Not much you can do there. How far are you commuting?

Toothpaste and Q-tips, dry undies...are you spending the night? With this it almost makes it seem like your way overly concerned.

Find the large baby wipes. They come in travel packs, carry easily and they're great for a quick wipe down.

My biggest problem with running errands and what not had been the butt crack sweat making it through my shorts/pants. I've found baggy bike shorts and bike pants with liners and or pads that absorb the sweat and they look like regular pants and shorts. Another alternative is to wear tri shorts. The pads in these are much thinner and designed to dry quickly. They easily wear under your regular clothes...unless your into the skin tight jeans I suppose.

The other issue is sweating underneath my backpack. I don't have an answer there yet.

If you want to be a regular commuter then you have to accept it as a life style. There are going to be some give and takes...not everything is going to be convenient for you and at times you may offend others...so be it.

MTA:

I couldn't remember the name of it but here's something worth a try. Rocket Shower

i have a friend i ride with sometimes and its not uncommon for us to pedal 30 miles before stopping at a bar, so were pretty much soaked unless theres a decent wind. since i use a bladder in my bag, the cold water plus high tech air flow material helps for a while, but it only goes so far. baby wipes i have been meaning to try out, but that rocket shower is a definite interest. along the same lines, i was thinking about brining liquid soap and wiping down with a wet towel.

maybe im being a little over concerned. its not like anyone has really complained even, i just want to be conscious about it.