The Bike Shop

Damn Strava screwed me out of a KOM (Read 176 times)

I have a segment defined on Strava that is along my after work commute route back to my car. I haven't really raced it this year at all, but I made it when I was first trying out Strava and figuring out how it worked. A guy that I don't know rode the segment a few times a couple months back and finally beat my time. I knew I had a faster time last year so I upload the .fit file for that ride and beat his time so I had the KOM again.

On Sept 2nd, we had a 15 mph wind that was directly at your back on that segment and he must had decided it was a good opprotunity to beat me and beat me he did. I had the 1.6 mi segment KOM with a time of 4:05 (23.5 mph). He rode it wind aided to a 3:39 (26.2 mph) time.

Yesterday we had a SW wind at 10 mph so I decided it was time to get my KOM back. I rode the segment in approximately 3:23 (28.5 mph) and that was with an average tailwind of 5.5 mph. I uploaded to Strava and it did not match that segment to my commute ride yesterday so no KOM for me.

Whining rant over, I feel a little better now.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Strava makes me crazy with stuff like that! Tongue  You'll get it back, I have no doubt. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Strava makes me crazy with stuff like that! Tongue  You'll get it back, I have no doubt. Big grin

One of these days I should find out what strava is. I do like the idea of being a tailwind doper tho.
          One of these days I should find out what strava is. I do like the idea of being a tailwind doper tho.

Yeah I know, but that dude did it to me, so I had to get him back. I also know my tailwind was much less then his.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DH is a total tailwind doper! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

When it comes to Strava, there is no way of knowing if a ride was wind aided unless you are familiar with the segment and the weather for that day. Strava could easily add weather info from weather underground from the GPS track and add it to the ride info.

Maybe we should set up an "RA" club on Strava?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe we should set up an "RA" club on Strava?

I'd be in!

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I thought I posted the bit below here but it went in the tri area, which you folks probably look at too.

Yup. It's entertaining.

As a log it's missing a lot for me. For example, my recent 10K came out to 6.1something miles (usual GPS deviation) and I wasn't able to get credit for it as my fastest and don't think I can make the distance adjustment. Also my GPS didn't get a good signal due to the tall buildings near my office in Boston so it plotted me down a different street and said I ran a 70 something second quarter. Nope!

The KOM is cool. I've got plans on owning a couple near my house. Since I've imported data all the way back to April all of my summer riding is there. Some segments I looked up for KOM, etc.. were already owned by non other than pro rider Tim Johnson. That dude motors like a f'ing sports car. 

But what is most cool is that I have another tool to plot out future rides by stalking others.

xhristopher

Strava screwed me out of a fastest 10K!

Searching through the segments I've ridden I noted someone screwed me out of a mile of road near me. The dude's speed was somewhere around 36mph for a mile of flat. I don't think Tim Johnson can beat that. Clearly it was in a car and he should get a speeding ticket since it's a 35 zone.

Strava screwed me out of a fastest 10K!

Searching through the segments I've ridden I noted someone screwed me out of a mile of road near me. The dude's speed was somewhere around 36mph for a mile of flat. I don't think Tim Johnson can beat that. Clearly it was in a car and he should get a speeding ticket since it's a 35 zone.

Flag it.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As a log it's missing a lot for me. For example, my recent 10K came out to 6.1something miles (usual GPS deviation) and I wasn't able to get credit for it as my fastest and don't think I can make the distance adjustment. Also my GPS didn't get a good signal due to the tall buildings near my office in Boston so it plotted me down a different street and said I ran a 70 something second quarter. Nope!

Yep.  Mountain biking the Garmin isn't often close at all.  Signals get lost in deep dips and switchbacks in the trees.  I did a race recently where the laps were almost exactly 4.0 according to all non-Garmin computers.  I was registering about 3.55.  That's a pretty big discrepancy.  Or sometimes I forget to start my Garmin, but can't go back and adjust for time/distance.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Flag it.

Ah, ok. I can do that and I suppose I can also flag that bad quarter ... or go run a legit one a little faster. The problem with GPS and short distances in the city is that I'll be chasing down crap all the time.  City runs often start a bit wonky with the GPS. At least on RA I know how to fix it.

Now, how do I tell them I want my call my 6.12 GPS mile 10K race 6.2?

xhristopher

Yep.  Mountain biking the Garmin isn't often close at all.  Signals get lost in deep dips and switchbacks in the trees.  I did a race recently where the laps were almost exactly 4.0 according to all non-Garmin computers.  I was registering about 3.55.  That's a pretty big discrepancy.  Or sometimes I forget to start my Garmin, but can't go back and adjust for time/distance.

I'm usually pretty happy with the garmin and mountain biking. Not a lot of signal loss that I can tell. Of course, if it's inaccurate I probably wouldn't really know.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm usually pretty happy with the garmin and mountain biking. Not a lot of signal loss that I can tell. Of course, if it's inaccurate I probably wouldn't really know.

Yeah, I wouldn't know, were it not for the fact that there are some trails that are pretty much accepted to be X distance, but my Garmin always shows shorter.  We have an 8 mile trail nearby that generally registers about a half mile short on my Garmin.  But I can easily fix that on RA and I still like seeing the maps and elevation profile.

~ Sarah Kay

Now, how do I tell them I want my call my 6.12 GPS mile 10K race 6.2?

I think your SOL, they do not allow editing which kind of makes sense. You wouldn't want someone to edit their workout just to beat your KOM by a second.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life