The Bike Shop

Cadence Happy Place (Read 181 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What's yours?  90-95 seems to be my magic zone.  Much below and I feel like I'm mashing the pedals, much above and I feel like I'm bouncing all over my saddle.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Who has time to count?

Tongue

Seriously though, I don't remember.  Once upon a time I rode a bike that had a computer on it, and that computer counted cadence.  It was a friend's bike, though, not mine.  So I no longer have access to that computer.  And it's been long enough that I've managed to forget all my normal numbers, for the most part.  All I really remember is being told time and again how important it was to downshift and keep the cadence up when you're going uphill...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Janel, do you have a Garmin Forerunner 305 by chance?  I have that and the cadence/speed sensor for my rear wheel/crank.  It's awesome.  I can log my indoor miles on the trainer with that, too.  And having those cadence #s available have really taught me what is an efficient spin, rather than grinding away and working harder than I have to.

When my current 305 dies I will buy another one, no question.  Or maybe a 310XT, depending upon what is available and pricing.  Right now the 305 is really cheap (relatively speaking).  I think it's about half what I paid for it almost 3 years ago.

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Nah, I don't have a Garmin.  I do have a Timex with time/distance monitoring available, but it doesn't do cadence.  *shrugs*  Oh well.  It'll happen eventually.  I did get shoes... and the computer is next on the list.  Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

and the computer is next on the list.  Wink

Definitely consider a FR 305.  There are cheaper computers with cadence features, but I love my Garmin for how useful it is for running, too.  And mapping/elevation profiles.  It's my very favorite gadget on the planet. Smile

~ Sarah Kay