The Bike Shop

Is it ok to take Strava Bike KOMs if Running? (Read 79 times)

I've got a great moral and ethical dilemma.

Today I ran some local trails with the intention of scouting out a hill climb that I wanted to do on my mtb. A couple local bikers have posted some decent times and I wanted a go. I had assumed the climb was up a legal fire road but, instead, it was up a path clearly marked off limits to bikes. I like to keep the peace so I avoid these.

So, after realizing I'll probably not be giving it a go on my mtb, I decided to try it on foot using the Strava bike app. Turns out I took the KOM. Now, do I just own it or switch the activity over to run? Do I keep it since they shouldn't have been using the trail in the first place? If someone challenges me with a faster ride I think I can go back and defend it. That could be fun...

Really, if you fancy yourself a mountain biker and get beat by a runner... Well, shouldn't that be embarrassing?

Needs more cowbell!

Ha, I'm slow on my mtb, but still faster than on foot pretty much up any hill. Since they weren't following the rules I say have at it!

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

Ha, I'm slow on my mtb, but still faster than on foot pretty much up any hill. Since they weren't following the rules I say have at it!

But you could probably sprint a .2 mile stretch faster on your mtb if you wanted to. The difficulty factor was mostly the incline, which was near 20% at points.

I didn't load my full run to Strava - yet - because I don't want to out myself until I decide how to leave it.

Needs more cowbell!

I'll bet they didn't actually "bike" that bit, either, and probably ran it with their bikes.  Still a no-no if bikes are forbidden.

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018