The Bike Shop

Numb toes and feet... what do you do? (Read 246 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I've had problems with numb toes before when running.  It's a Morton's Neuroma, which is a fancy way of saying the nerve in the ball of my feet is getting pinched.  However, this problem seems to be exacerbated when I'm biking.  The longer the ride, the worse the numbness, and it's an uncomfortable numbness too! 

I'm currently riding my road bike with my running shoes and orthotics.  The laces are not tight - I can slip one finger in between the laces and the top of my foot.  I do not yet have clipless pedals/shoes, but am planning to buy some as soon as the finances work out (long story).  So...

I am concerned.  Will having these new bike shoes make the toe numbness worse?  Is there anything I can do to prevent this? 

Surely I can't be the only cyclist out there whose toes get numb and painful after some time on the road.  I'd like to ride longer but I don't think that I could stand much more of it.  It gets worse the longer I'm in the saddle.

Help?  Suggestions?  Please?

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't have any specific advice, other than to poke around here...lots of threads about this issue.  One thing you will want to look at with shoes is maybe a pair of Sidi men's shoes.  Those would be wider...and they have some models that even come in men's wides.  I have also heard from several people that North Wave (Northwave?) shoes tend to run pretty wide.

I would think cycling shoes would help, though, since your foot is supported by a full footbed that won't flex, so pressure is distributed to your entire foot, instead of just the balls of your feet when wearing running shoes with platform pedals.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Wingz

This is a common problem and a simple fix is to add in good arch supports. This worked for me. The over-the-counter-off-the-rack-at-the-five-and-dime did the trick. These are used in regular cycling shoes......I haven't tried biking for long periods in running shoes.

You mention that you already have orthotics but do they support your arch?

Another thing to do is keep wiggling your toes.

MTA: Excerpt follows

Besides the bicycle itself, proper cycling shoes are the most important piece of cycling equipment. Cycling shoes must be very stable in order to efficiently transfer power from your feet to the pedals. Running and other athletic shoes are not good for cycling as the lack of support allows the foot to collapse while pedaling. This commonly leads to arch pain, tendonitis, or burning and numbness under the bottom of the foot. To protect your feet from the stress of pedaling, make sure you wear a cycling shoe with a rigid shank. Our advice is to always invest in cycling-specific shoes for both outdoor cycling and indoor cycling, such as spinning classes.