The Bike Shop

Slime... (Flats, part 2) (Read 178 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Tire Slime, that is.  As in the green stuff that's a tire sealant?  That's my next step in the war against flats.  Where I live (Arizona) has some ...impressive thorns indeed...  So, a $10 bottle of tire sealant may be exactly what the doctor ordered for someone who keeps attracting those very ... impressive thorns.  Went to a different bike shop to see what they had.  Looks like the one I had been going to is far superior, but this other one is much closer.  *sigh*  Tradeoffs....

So, I've got one tube pre-slimed and ready for installation.  Which is good, because that flat #4 that I repaired on my last ride?  Seems to have a slow leak!  I'd pulled out a thorn, but perhaps there was more than one and I didn't find the other. 

Tonight I'm headed to the grocery store to buy those cotton balls.  Thanks for the idea, whoever that was!  I don't seem to be able to feel these thorns, so maybe the cotton balls will do the trick?  And if not them, then having the slime in the tires should help take care of most of my thorny problems...

I *AM* going to continue riding even if I have to buy solid rubber tires!

(that's my determined face)

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

In fact, I intend to ride tomorrow morning.  In a different location, lol!

Wingz

Professional Noob

*scratches head*

I don't get it.

Tube changed Tuesday morning. Co2 cartridge inflated it.  I didn't check the pressure, but probably to 70-90 psi.  Normal's about 100 for me.    Wednesday morning the tire's so flat I can squeeze the sides together.  This morning, I take the tube out, check the tire - nuttin.  Check the rim - only a hole where the initial nail went through (boy, it was a doosey of a flat!).  But that's smooth to the touch.  Check the tube - I fill it with air and submerge it in the bathroom sink.  No bubbles.  Eh?

No bubbles?

How could that be?  No matter - I'm putting in the slimed tube now.  But I don't get it.

Ideas, anyone?

Oh Mighty Wing

I'll be in the shop tonight - i'll ask the gang what they think. I don't know enough on my own to be of much help!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll make sure did sees this, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, the tube that the shop replaced the other day?  Went flat on my ride today.  I was in a different area.  I had 3 CO2 cartridges and 2 tubes with me. (Yes, I'm learning...)

The one that went flat was not the one with the slime in it.  It was the other one.  I put the slimy tube on my rear wheel this morning before heading out, and brought in a backpack my bottle of slime, my slimeable tube, and a spare that I couldn't slime.  When my tube went flat, I pulled over, put slime in the new tube, and put the new slimy tube on the front.

It made it through the rest of the ride.  I'm curious to see if I have air in my tires tomorrow or not.

I found no spines.  I found no rough spots inside.  I don't know why this one went flat.

But I'm Slime x 2 now... so hopefully that'll be the end of this streak. (6 flats in 4 rides...)

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I'm not getting the valve all the way closed after pumping up the tires???  I mean, I *think* I am.  But maybe I'm chronically missing that???

At this point I don't feel secure enough to plan to ride to work.  One flat costs me 15-20 minutes, depending.  I'm getting faster, true.  I can leave an extra 15 minutes early every day, but if for some reason I can't fix it I'll be really late, and that's not okay at my job.  Looks like I'm driving tomorrow...

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

One thing to note is that CO2 will leak out of a tire faster than regular ol' air. The molecules are smaller and diffuse right through the rubber of the tube.

did

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hm. Interesting. Never thought of that...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This has been RA's edition of Science Friday. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay