The Bike Shop

Riding with a sprained ankle? (Read 252 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yesterday I sprained my ankle during a trail relay...so far I think it's probably just a mild sprain.  I have significant swelling and bruising, but not too much pain.  I can walk around a bit, just clumsily.  A "normal" person probably wouldn't have much bruising, but I am a hematoma-prone freak.

Anyhow, I am not going to plan to do anything utilizing my legs for at least a week.  But I'm wondering if biking might be do-able by next weekend, assuming pain is mostly gone and flexibility is better.  I foresee not running for close to 2 weeks.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

*I* would.  Then again, I'm in the camp that says that the sooner you use a sprained ankle the better, even within minutes of the injury...

My personal opinion is that movement helps the healing process.  Ice after the exercise if it seems to increase swelling.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*I* would.  Then again, I'm in the camp that says that the sooner you use a sprained ankle the better, even within minutes of the injury...

My personal opinion is that movement helps the healing process.  Ice after the exercise if it seems to increase swelling.

So far I'm agreeing with you.  It feels better when I have been up walking for a few minutes...after sitting it's horribly stiff and I feel like I have a peg-leg.  I did run a total of almost 10 miles after injury, so I definitely didn't baby it yesterday.  I'm hoping my recovery is fast.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay