The Bike Shop

Favorite Chamois Lube/Cream (Read 305 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've tried a variety.  I like the Chamois Butt'r, but then read that petroleum-based oils can be bad for the padding in the chamois, so started looking at other things.  I also tried Brave Soldier's Friction Zone, but found it greasy and not all that effective.  I also tried some The Body Shop Brazil Nut Body Butter (I used to sell TBS stuff via home parties, so I still have random tubs of Body Butters floating around) with a bit of tea tree oil and silicone-based liquid lubricant added (since that's what Sport-Shield roll-on is made from and that stuff works great for running).  It was OK, but seemed to mostly soak into my chamois.

Today I tried That Butt Stuff.  Reminds me a lot of diaper cremes, which I have heard also can work very well as chamois lubes and I may try one of those in the future, since they are generally a lot cheaper than the stuff marketed to cyclists.

Do you have a favorite chamois cream?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

I'm team aquaphor so I may be a little biased but I really like their stuff. thick and good but not stinky

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Oh Mighty Wing

can I have clarity on what this thread is about? because at first i was a little nervous to open it - given my immature nature... but further reading did not help... only further confirmed my giggling...
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Start doing some longer rides and you will want to know more!

Chamois cream is essentially to cyclists what Body Glide and Sport Shield are to runners--something to prevent chafing and discomfort "down there."  A lot of them have antibacterial/antifungal properties (like tea tree oil) to help prevent "swamp crotch," too (swamp crotch = fungal issues from a warm, moist environment...aka yeasties).

I should add...I tried "Bliss," the women's version of DZNuts.  I don't know what it was, but something in that stuff reacted not so nicely with my backside.  I had an unpleasant hot sensation for hours after I had washed it off.  At first I thought it was the TTO, but I have tried other products with that ingredient without any issue.  Probably one of the other herbal ingredients was the culprit.

~ Sarah Kay

I don't use body glide when I run and I don't use butt cream when I ride. I haven't been on extremely long rides, but the rides I have been on I didn't notice the need for anything to be used down there. I have three pairs of bike shorts and wash then after ever use.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use something any time I will be out for more than an hour.  The area that seems to get me worst is the perimeter of chamois, though.  I do not handle seams well.  On last week's 75 miler I used some Sport Shield roll-on specifically on seams and chamois edge and that really worked well.

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm... so far i haven't needed anything, but time will tell! haha
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, so I'm a total devotee to That Butt Stuff, now.  Got me through my first century without a single sore spot.  Happy butt!

~ Sarah Kay