The Bike Shop

My new Ferrari. (Read 200 times)

xhristopher

So, many of you know I got hit on the bike by an 88 year old driver who ran a stop sign last summer. Well, the settlement is wrapping up and I'm getting an additional check for the appraised value of my totaled bike. I've decided to use that check for bike specific purposes...

In the meantime, I didn't want to not ride so had to fund my own rig, which I cobbled together with parts, ebay, etc... It's not my dream bike but isn't holding me back either. Here it is below (Never mind the ugly bag on the top tube. I was going for a longer ride). My son has named it "Blue Yoshi." That's what we call it.

So, I've decided I'll use this bike for a while on the road since getting a nicer one wouldn't really make me faster. Also, this bike is surprisingly just fine on 50+ mile rides. My previous Cannondale was hell on anything longer than 30 miles.

So, I want to go faster... I've been pouring over bikes, reviews, message boards, shops, etc... I went and got fit. (below)

Last night I finally pulled the trigger. Here's my new toy.

It's last year's model. I got it for $1000 off. We've got some work and swapping to get to match my fit coordinates. I'm looking forward to getting to know it. My son is still working on a name for it.

Oh, I'm also amassing parts for a cheap CX bike. That may or may not happen this fall.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

NICE!!!  That looks really fast!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

NICE!!!  That looks really fast!

And right now it has Crank Bros Egg Beaters on it!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And right now it has Crank Bros Egg Beaters on it!

What pedals will you use?  I've never tried Crank Bros pedals.  Sometimes I think I'd like something different than my low-rent Shimano SPDs on my mountain and CX bikes, but they work well enough for me.  I love my LOOKs on my road bike.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

What pedals will you use?  I've never tried Crank Bros pedals.  Sometimes I think I'd like something different than my low-rent Shimano SPDs on my mountain and CX bikes, but they work well enough for me.  I love my LOOKs on my road bike.

I really like crank bros. I've been using their discontinued road version on the road bike and candy on the mtb. Whenever I get a CX going I will use Egg Beaters. Before, I used SPDs and found the Egg Beaters to be a huge upgrade. Pedals are a personal choice but SPDs do feel low-rent.

That said, Egg Beaters are the wrong choice for my new speed weapon. I'm thinking Speedplay because I like multi sided entry. I had Look in the late 90s and hated always making sure the pedal was flipped correctly for entry.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, that's the only thing I don't like about my Looks...they want to flip the wrong way.

I didn't know Crank Bros once made road pedals.  Huh.  I know people who swear by Speedplays, but they don't do well in sand and we literally live on miles and miles of sand dunes on this side of MI.

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Nice Purchase.

I like to keep things simple. It's no secret I have multiple bikes. Different types of riding requires different shoes. Mine range from winter boots to sandles. I run SPD on everything.

I did have Speedplays on my Tri Bike and had a pair of shoes dedicated to Tri's. Speedplay is an excellent choice. Quick in, tons of float and 100% serviceable.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to use SPD on the road, but I kept getting really sore on the outsides of my feet. The wider platform of Looks has helped. I'd love to have one pedal for everything!

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

I just wrapped up a ride across Iowa in a pair of sandals outfitted with SPD clips.

My feet now have zebra stripes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just wrapped up a ride across Iowa in a pair of sandals outfitted with SPD clips.

My feet now have zebra stripes.

Keen Commuter sandals? I'd love a pair, bit they are apparently really. Narrow. I almost need men's wides. RAGBRAI was so hot--I'll bet your feet appreciated the ventilation.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Took the Trek out for a quick 12 mile loop this morning. The aero position is still all wrong but I'll get that sorted soon. I swear the bike is already 2 mph faster. I was impressed with how comfortable and stable it is. I thought it would feel stiffer...but nope. Nothing at all gave a hint of noodleyness. Going up hill was much faster/easier than I expected. I've defiantly got to get used to shifting and braking. I'm doing a half IM in less than three weeks. I need to revise my time goal now. 

If my Cannondale is an F-16 fighter jet this is more of a B-1 Bomber. It's not as agile but still supersonic. I'm now wondering what I'm missing by not having a carbon road bike. That should be a concern for another year.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm now wondering what I'm missing by not having a carbon road bike. That should be a concern for another year.

For me the biggest difference between aluminum and carbon was how they feel on our rough roads.  Just a mile or two on chipseal had me hating life.  It still sucks on carbon, but it doesn't make me actually want to end my ride.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

For me the biggest difference between aluminum and carbon was how they feel on our rough roads.  Just a mile or two on chipseal had me hating life.  It still sucks on carbon, but it doesn't make me actually want to end my ride.

This is interesting and makes me wonder. You were riding a '10 Synapse and I'm on a '10 CAAD8. These bikes should be semi close relatives. The primary difference is that one is "comfort" and the other "performance." Our roads in New England probably aren't much better than yours but I don't have that problem with my aluminum bike, fortunately. I wouldn't think twice about doing a century on it. I wonder if the reason I'm able to get away with riding aluminum easier than you is because I'm a bit heavier and ride a larger frame size. Both of these differences should cut down on the road buzz? Perhaps I just don't know any better?? You also changed two variables, frame materials and bike type. Without a doubt you are on a much better bike. I tried to gently steer my BIL away from the comfort Specialized he recently bought. If he really gets into riding he'll be in the same situation you were with your old bike.

If I got a new carbon road bike the primary difference I'd notice would be feel. It won't make me any faster. My CAAD 8 extremely agile, accelerates well, climbs nicely, and sticks to the road. It would probably be at home in a crit. It's 18 lbs and could easily be lighter. That's why I decided on the Speed Concept over a new road bike. I just gained 2+ mph overnight.

I'm also going to get the "draft box," which I'm going to refer to as the "trunk." 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That little "trunk" is cool!  Perfect place to stow ID, money, and a couple gels.

I often wonder if the geometry of the Synapse had as much to do with the vibration issues as the frame material...maybe more.  But I can feel a major difference on mountain bikes, too.  My aluminum Cannondale is WAY rougher than my friend's steel Salsa on asphalt, though the Salsa is a more aggressive set-up.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

My aluminum Cannondale is WAY rougher than my friend's steel Salsa on asphalt, though the Salsa is a more aggressive set-up.

Fortunately you have a road bike for asphalt. I'm often amazed at how my mountain bike can feel so nimble and at home on single track or fire roads and be a complete dog on the road. Thankfully we know enough to use the right tools for the job.

I might even get a Speed Box or a Speed Pack. What do I care? Riding this thing already makes me a dork.