The Bike Shop

The Brompton (Read 14 times)

xhristopher

So, after lamenting that I no longer ride I realized that I've probably gone for over 60 rides since April. It's just that they are all short. I've taken to riding around town because dealing with my car is a pain in the ass and sometimes expensive when paying for parking is involved. It's very easy and comfortable to just ride.

I take the train to work and lock my bike in the bike cage for the day. It's been nice to do that but when I get off the train in Boston I wish I had a bike for added flexibility and freedom -- and because it's a hell of a lot quicker than walking. The problem is that I can't take a full sized bike on the train during rush hour.

Here it is left behind and all locked up. Usually I try to park next to the guy with the OCLV / Ultegra Trek so it gets stolen instead of mine.

This week while walking a mile across town I had time to think back to spending a good bit of time with the guy at the bike shop about the Bromptons they sell and made the connection that I "need" one.

This is what I want. A Brompton. Flat bars, gears, fenders, and a raw lacquer finish.

It does this in less than a minute and you can even check it as regular luggage.

Living in the city and using public transportation to get to work I can see so many possibilities.

Someone needs to either talk me down from this wall or push me off of it. I'm thinking I would even do some commuting into the winter on this.

Slo

Your two weeks too late...I just took on in on trade for a build I did for a friend of a friend. I already knew someone who wanted one. It needed new brake pads and rear brake cable.

A very fun bike to ride and surprisingly responsive.

MTA,,,I have some photo's of it 'll post later.

xhristopher

I'd like to see it. I've not heard anything bad about them.

I've been watching ebay and they seem to be rare or keep their value.

I tend to keep my bikes for a long, long time so I figure the investment would be worth it. I also like that the design seems to have become classic. Now I've got to make the case why I need to spend that much on another bike when I've already got 4 and only use 1 of them regularly!

Slo

N +1

I'm at work...HS Football game tonight but I'll try and get a photo posted.

They are not cheap bikes.

xhristopher

On the topic of bike commuting... Today I went to use my car for the first time in weeks. (I do drive the family van on weekends but we've been walking to school everyday) I had to jump it - dead battery.

It's been a nice summer.

xhristopher

Things escalated quickly. I just picked up a M6L-12 in British racing green with black fenders and extremities. I even got the dynamo and lights. I went all out but this should be a forever bike for this type. It boggles my mind that I can fit it in a suitcase. Pics later. If I can get the kid home I'm going for a ride.

Slo

sweet.

xhristopher

I'm really enjoying the Brompton. It's unlike any other bike I've had. It's almost an anti bike. I'll never wear spandex on it. I'll never use it primarily for fitness. It's just a tool to get around on and get some time back in my life. I can't wait to see all the places I take it - and it will take me.

I'd describe the ride as "pokey" but that's ok. It's agile, stable, and lots of fun. Rides will all be under 5 miles but I'll take it everywhere. Today it went in a brewpub to exchange a growler. Yesterday to the grocery store for ice cream and pie.

Village people

That is a cool looking thing.

xhristopher

I took the Brompton on the train today. No big deal.

Ran an errand for work and saved a bunch of time that wold have been spent walking.

It's been interesting. People look and you notice. I think something about it makes other cyclists want to pass you. I acknowledge that it is pokey but still. They get around and then don't make much more forward progress.

I let a coworker ride around the office.

It's kind of like a pet.

post a pic of you riding it!

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

That's probably gonna be a two person job. Here's the bike selfie I texted home during my test ride.

xhristopher

OK, I got the gopro out and we made a video. I'm the guy in the white. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/G62gRmdIBY0

Slo, where's your Brompton pic?

Slo

This just showed up in my Facebook feed this AM

Hot Pink

xhristopher

Can't say I'm sorry I missed that one.

They had about a dozen on the floor (and stuffed into cubbies) at the LBS when I got mine, all different colors. It was a hard choice between lacquer and racing green.

I should add some clip-ons and jump in a fall duathlon. I'd have some good pics from that.