The Bike Shop

Bike shopping questions (Read 237 times)

Former runner

After herniating a disc in my lower back this year I had to stop running for a while and it looks like 2013 will be focused on bike riding. I’ve been wanting to get a road bike for a few years but this may be the year I pull the trigger. Mostly I’m thinking road bike since my back will keep me off any rough trails and I’m not going anywhere near a recumbant. I have a Specialized mountain bike and I don’t think I want to part with it but all the medical expenses from this year pretty much wiped out any bike budget I had. So right now I’m thinking of buying used or building something myself to save the $$. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty. My plan so far is to get some practice with servicing my mountain bike and then start shopping for something new/used in the spring. My bike is in need of some TLC even though I haven’t ridden it anywhere except the road and MUP in the past few years. I’m sure it needs a new chain and a good cleaning.

So here are my questions.

I’ve read about the importance of getting fitted for a bike so I’m wondering what should I do to make sure that I get a frame that is the correct size? Will a LBS do the basic fitting without a specific bike or is it something I can do myself? What can I expect to spend on a fitting at the LBS?

I’m probably going to order a service manual to learn the basics of repair/maintenance. I see the Park tool book has good reviews. Are there any other good books you would recommend?

I have plenty of non bike-specific tools so I’ll just buy the items I need to fix my bike. How do I know what tools to get for the drivetrain? Is that in a service manual or something I just can google?

Thanks!

Ross

Here is some free lit for you to look over and shoudl get you where you need to be to build and service a bike.

As far as fitting is concerned, you could go to your LBS and tell them you are interested in getting a road bike and you have very little knowledge at what size you need. They will recommend a size and maybe even put you on a trainer to feel the difference. They will generally do this without charge but will charge if you want\need a more inclusive fit like changeing stem length, height. There are also several size calculators online that will get you close. I was more or less in between a 52 and 54cm size and went with the 54 only because I found a great deal on a used one. If I had to buy a new one I would lean towards a 52 just because the bike would feel smaller and more nimble under me.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Former runner

Thanks for that link. I visited the LBS and picked up some tools last weekend. Cleaning up the drivetrain makes me realize just how bad it is on my old bike. Shocked I can't believe my chain wasn't skipping with this much wear.

Cluster F@$k!

Now I need to figure out if the bottom bracket needs servicing. It's been making a lot of noise the past couple of months. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what tool I need to take it apart for cleaning. I'm guessing the 20 tooth socket?? I need to dig out the calipers to measure the size between notches. I thinks it's about 32mm across. Looks like cartridge bearings between two threaded caps. Excuse the dirt. That's next of the list. Wink

How many Teeth??

Ross

xhristopher

I can't believe my chain wasn't skipping with this much wear.

That doesn't look too bad to me.

I really hate square taper bottom brackets, that isis junk too.

You need to take a hose and a bucket of soapy water to that thing.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

For that BB you need a Park BBT32 or BBT22. You've got a cartridge bottom bracket - they're really not serviceable, but they're inexpensive. Now that you've got the cranks off, turn the spindle - if it feels at all rough, replace it. Shouldn't be more than $30 or $40 - JIS standard square taper. The trick though, is to make sure you've got the right spindle length - measure that in millimeters. Might be worth it to just bring it to a bike shop as there are 842,617 different bottom bracket possibilities out there.

Square taper bottom brackets aren't inherently bad, they just go all the way down to the bottom of the quality bucket because they're so ubiquitous. A $15 low-end Shimano BB won't perform or last like a $200 Phil Wood.

Mmmmmm, Phil Wood. Drooooool.

Isis BBs have some limitations, as the spindle is larger diameter than on a square taper, and so the bearings are smaller and so less durable. Still, they'll work fine for the vast majority of people.

Dollars to donuts your mystery noise isn't a part, it's something that's a little bit loose and a little bit dry - and it's next to impossible to localize the noise. That "bottom bracket" noise could just be a slightly loose saddle clamp or seatpost clamp. Remove things one at a time, lube the threads, reassemble (and get a torque wrench if you can, so you don't strip anything), ride, & repeat until silence is achieved!

As for your drivetrain, your chain and cassette have worn together, so if you replace the chain it'll skip on the old cassette. If it's truly, badly worn, you'll need to replace both. I've had chains last anywhere from about 400 miles (fatbike ridden in water, sand, snow, and godawful clay mud that destroyed my cassette and derailleur jockey wheels too) to 2500 miles (roadbike), and Zoomy's had 'em top 4K miles. Your cassette teeth actually look pretty decent from where I'm sitting; there is a Rohloff tool that will measure sprocket wear, but it's a bike shop kinda thing. For chain wear, get one of these and replace your chain when the .75% side drops in.

If you can swing it and can find a shop that offers it, try to take a basic maintenance class along the lines of the Park Tool School. Lots of times you can get a discount on tools at the same time - good stuff...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy's had 'em top 4K miles.

6k miles.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Former runner

I have no idea how many miles are on this bike. My log shows about 2800 miles but that's only since 2008. The 10 years prior to that could be another 2k to 5k. I didn't log my miles until I started using RA.

I used the chain wear gauge and it appears to be at .5%. Guess I'll just put everything back together once I'm done cleaning it up. The bottom bracket seems to turn smoothly without any play. One of the pedals could need new bearings.

Ross

xhristopher

With it's age a new chain makes sense. I got my mountain bike in 98 and it's probably on it's 4th or 5th chain. I don't think I've ever spent more than 30 for one.

About those damn square taper cranks ... and perhaps it's personal to me and my size and riding style ... but not only do I hate their creakiness, and ease of coming loose, etc... they just aren't stiff enough for me. I've upgraded three bikes to external bbs and oh what a feeling, ease of maintenance, etc...

Is that a stumpy? My wife has a stumpy. Poor thing just sits in the basement looking cool and stuff. Just like my mountain bike does 355 days a year.

Former runner

Yeah, It's a stumpy. I plan on giving it a good cleaning today and see if I can find any other parts that need serviced.

MTA: This frame is so clean I can't get a good picture of it. Joking

Stumpy Clean!

Ross

xhristopher

Wow! It's as if the dirt added a protective layer.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow! It's as if the dirt added a protective layer.

backroadrunner and I don't wash our cars often for this reason. Tongue

Ross, I am requesting more pics!!!

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

more pics!!!

Looks like a late 90s M2. We've got two in the family so the welds and badly routed cables give it away. Routing cables under the BB is my only real criticism of the bike.

Loos like it hasn't seen much off road use. No evidence of chain suck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Loos like it hasn't seen much off road use. No evidence of chain suck.

Ha, I managed to put gouges on my new El Mariachi with only about 30 miles on it.  Chain sucked going up a hill, then dropped and gouged the BB.  I found nail polish in a matching color to help clean it up.  Really wish Salsa would do touch-up paints...

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Ha, I managed to put gouges on my new El Mariachi with only about 30 miles on it.  Chain sucked going up a hill, then dropped and gouged the BB.  I found nail polish in a matching color to help clean it up.  Really wish Salsa would do touch-up paints...

It happens. Fortunately the steel can take it. My MTB has taken a beating down there.

On my last ride on my new carbon Speed Concept I dropped my chain and ripped the little protective metal plate off. The plate did it's duty and paid the ultimate price. I blame the compact crank. I shifted gears hammering up a hill and ...

I must get the item below before I head out next. That damn thing cost about $40 too!

Do some surching on ebay, I think you'll find something similar for around $10. I've been thinking about getting one of these for my road bike as I've drop that chain a number of times.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life