The Bike Shop

Damn Strava screwed me out of a KOM (Read 176 times)

xhristopher

I think your SOL, they do not allow editing which kind of makes sense. You wouldn't want someone to edit their workout just to beat your KOM by a second.

So imagine this scenario. A runner at a local 5K passes the finish line, plows right through the volunteers, and keeps running another 100 feet. When asked why he answeres that he's just trying to beat some dude he's never met in Minnesota's time and needs to run a full 3.1 by his watch to do so. Good fun. 

xhristopher

Strava is still driving me nuts. I'm browsing through past runs and rides and find multiple PRs for the same distance on different runs. For example, if I look a mile I ran on Aug 30 it tells me I PRed at 1K and 1M. Then, if I look at a mile I ran on June 23 it tells me I PRed at 1K and 1M. 

This makes no sense. I can't go and run 5 and 20 seconds slower two months later and get a new PR. Apparently Strava subscribes to the "everybody's a winner" idea. There can't be multiple "winners." There will always be just one and those new "PR" runs were actually losers!

I find Strava is not real good at run logging or performance info. It's a cyclists site first and foremost and other activities are an after thought.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find Strava is not real good at run logging or performance info. It's a cyclists site first and foremost and other activities are an after thought.

RA does a better job with non-running sports than Strava does with non-cycling sports, for certain!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Yeah, I'm just pointing out an obvious dumb error I found. I think logging best times for a quarter mile by GPS is also silly.

What I did find cool was that it can find fastest segments for longer runs. For example, it found exactly where my fastest half marathon segment was from my Sugarloaf Marathon run this spring. It's totally useless but still neat.

The one thing I think is cool that Strava does with running is calculate a Grade Adjusted Pace (GAP) for each mile. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but its interesting to look at the difference of the GAP numbers next to the actual pace.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

The one thing I think is cool that Strava does with running is calculate a Grade Adjusted Pace (GAP) for each mile. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but its interesting to look at the difference of the GAP numbers next to the actual pace.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I had no idea as I never log my runs over there.  I guess it still seems odd to me to have segments when running.  Maybe I'm just too slow to care or have it be worthwhile Joking

Wandering over to check it out now.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I had no idea as I never log my runs over there.  I guess it still seems odd to me to have segments when running.  Maybe I'm just too slow to care or have it be worthwhile Joking

Wandering over to check it out now.

I have exactly "ZERO" run segments defined and don't plan on doing any......ever. I don't find that very helpful or informative where my running is concerned.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

I have exactly "ZERO" run segments defined and don't plan on doing any......ever. I don't find that very helpful or informative where my running is concerned.

I've made a few running segments. After being pleasantly surprised to see some local races I've not run as segments I added a couple I've run this summer as a "community service" of sorts. I've also set up two segments near my home just to stalk others around here and see what routes they run.

I had a big urge for some mountain biking today so planned my ride to hit some already defined segments. I'm worried this might become another bad habit for me.

xhristopher

I've now discovered that if Strava likes the hill you just ran up (I'm sure they have an equation.) they will automatically create a segment for you. I've now deleted more segments than I've created.

I've now discovered that if Strava likes the hill you just ran up (I'm sure they have an equation.) they will automatically create a segment for you. I've now deleted more segments than I've created.

I've never experienced that. I guess it doesn't like my running

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

I've never experienced that. I guess it doesn't like my running

Do you have any hills around you? Strava seems to encourage riding/running hills.

Do you have any hills around you? Strava seems to encourage riding/running hills.

That depends on your definition of "hills".

Go you your Segements page, then click on "Segment Preferences". I think that is where Strava automatically creates segments for hills using grade or elevation change. I know I had one setup there and deleted it at one point.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hip Redux

Yes, it does this.  There aren't that many runners out this way and we are in a hilly area - so I end up being QOM on some random hills and the only woman who has ever done it.   Hey, if that's what it takes to get a crown, I'm in.  :P

xhristopher

Yes, it does this.  There aren't that many runners out this way and we are in a hilly area - so I end up being QOM on some random hills and the only woman who has ever done it.   Hey, if that's what it takes to get a crown, I'm in.  :P

I've been using strava for entertainment and for finding new routes. I've stolen a few of these along the way. I think that makes me a little bit of a jerk since they are often hollow victories. Sometimes I try to improve the CR by just a little with the hope that someone will come out and defend their segment. It never happens.