Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

week 3 into week 4... rough! (Read 222 times)

For some reason I"m really struggling getting past week 3. I've been at week three for 2 weeks now... and I"m scared to run for 5 minutes straight. Which is just silly... there's nothing to be scared of, if I need to stop and walk I can. I know this... I tell myself this, but I beat myself up if I can't make it through the run intervals. Did anyone else struggle with this transistion?? Or was it easier than you thought?
    First 5K May 2nd!
      I didn't have trouble with that particular transition, but every new week seemed tough. I saw it this way, at least for myself. 5 minutes was difficult until I did 8. 8 minutes was difficult until I did 10. I guess I just had to push myself to go those extra few minutes, and afterward I realized it really wasn't that bad. That said, now that I am done with C25k, I am struggling with distances that just last fall weren't a problem for me. I can't figure out what my problem is. Until I do, I am just using the run-walk-run whenever I need to and figure as long as I get the distance in, it doesn't matter how long it took me to get there.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

For some reason I"m really struggling getting past week 3. I've been at week three for 2 weeks now... and I"m scared to run for 5 minutes straight. Which is just silly... there's nothing to be scared of, if I need to stop and walk I can. I know this... I tell myself this, but I beat myself up if I can't make it through the run intervals. Did anyone else struggle with this transistion?? Or was it easier than you thought?
        It seems that every person's experience with running is unique. Our needs are unique and speak of who we are. I needed to learn to struggle with something that I was not good at, and so I relished the fact that I am so NOT a gifted runner. Every time I kept on trying I was working against a lifetime of giving up at anything I wasn't immediately good at. You wrote:
        It's so much more emotionally challenging for me than it is physical. I love pushing myself, I love the clarity and postive attitudes it brings. The physical advantages are just gravy.
        Perhaps you need this hurdle so that you can overcome it. You overcome this hurdle, and you can see yourself as successful, triumphant, a winner, or whatever "positive attitude" it allows you to have about yourself. Look at that 5 minute hurdle. Give it a big hug and thank it for giving you something to overcome. And then go out there and DO it! You can do it!

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I think I doubted my ability almost every week. Then I went out and proved that those doubts were wrong. You need to stop listening to those inner negative voices. You can do this! Big grin
            I have to agree with JB about the doubt. I just completed W3D1 and was kind of freaked out because I mis-read the chart and thought we had to do 3 sets of intervals (not two)- so imagine my surprise when I'm out walking/running & my podcast says- you're halfway done! I thought my download had mucked up etc so the first thing I did when I got home was checked the chart & realized I completed it and was so proud. Just give it a go & you might surprise yourself! Mel

21.1k, 20/07/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #4/5 2:24:29

15k, 4/05/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #3 1:40:43

10k, 13/04/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #2 1:08:44

10k, 23/09/2012, Rock the House 1:04:27(gun), 1:03:48(chip)

10k, 27/05/2012 1:08:57

11.34 k, 22/10/2011 1:16:52

Started C25K 5 February 2009; SportCheck Mother's Day 5k- 37:13

Wingz

Professional Noob

So??? How'd it go? Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Okay- I see what you mean. I just completed w4d1 workout. While the amount of time you have to run are intimidating for me it's a lot of mind over matter business. I focused on the music in the podcast, set mini-goals- run to the next lamp post and when it was reached, look ahead to the next physical landmark. I knew it would be psychological, so I didn't take my dog on this run, so I could focus on setting my self up to succeed. Hope it's going well for you too!

21.1k, 20/07/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #4/5 2:24:29

15k, 4/05/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #3 1:40:43

10k, 13/04/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #2 1:08:44

10k, 23/09/2012, Rock the House 1:04:27(gun), 1:03:48(chip)

10k, 27/05/2012 1:08:57

11.34 k, 22/10/2011 1:16:52

Started C25K 5 February 2009; SportCheck Mother's Day 5k- 37:13