Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

WTH???!!! (Read 294 times)

zzz

OK so I just completed W3D2 last night.... i have been eating better... keeping track etc etc... so i get on the scale today and it's up 5 - 6 freakin pounds!!! What the heck is up with that???? I know I shouldn't be doing the whole scale junkie bit but c'mon!! Any hints tips advice? Is it because I quit smoking? sheesh!!
      Up 5-6 pounds from when? My weight oscillates 4 pounds in a given week, up and down and up and down, I guess maybe it's water weight or something, who knows. I just count the lowest number I see over the course of the week, hehe. I'm in W7 and I've only lost like maybe a pound or two. I'm not religious about eating well though, so I'm not real surprised. Many people actually gain weight on C25K just because they build a lot of muscle without losing fat. I started running to lose weight but had to come to terms with the fact that running alone (for me) wasn't cutting it. I'm now trying to add in some more cross-training and weight training to hopefully see some results. Don't get discouraged! BTW, while I say I've only lost a pound or two, my clothes feel a lot different, I've almost dropped a size--my legs and butt definitely look different than when I started.
      2009 Goals:
      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
      Run a 10K
      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
      Complete my first Sprint Tri

The young Mama Bear!

Turtlechick, from a fellow ex-smoker, smoking is an appetite suppressant. Don't worry about that, though - you are saving your own life by quitting. Smile I have a few questions for you: - Did you eat anything salty last night? - Are any of your muscles sore? When muscles tear, they retain some water/lactic acid, I believe. - Have you been eating any chocolate? Chocolate is extremely slow to digest. Other than that, you're going to have 'bad scale days' if you weigh yourself everyday. It's a curse, in ways. Yesterday, I weighed in almost a full pound more than I was, and I was working out pretty hard and eating right. Today, it rewarded me by going even lower than before. The body is a strange machine, but it'll all even out if you give it the chance and stick with it. Sleepy In the 4 weeks I have been doing C25K, I have only lost about 4 or 5 pounds. If you also weight train, that might also be the culprit. You might be gaining muscle!
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
        zzz

hey all... well i am not planning on quitting as really my primary reason for running isn't to lose weight... although it is one of the reasons... a fitted t-shirt that i put on this morning feels looser and my hubby says he can see my cheekbones more so i sure hope this is muscle...i should probably junk the scale and measure instead. i dunno.... just a little bit discouraging... oh the weight gain is over a 3 week period...it just seems to be slowly creeping up...i am eating better and i know that just running won't cut it for me either as far as using that to lose weight, but i was expecting a weight loss of some kind by this time. i'll wait a few days and weigh in the morning of a run not the morning after a run.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

a fitted t-shirt that i put on this morning feels looser and my hubby says he can see my cheekbones more so i sure hope this is muscle...i should probably junk the scale and measure instead. i dunno....
            I think that pretty clearly says you haven't gained fat, whatever the scale may be saying. Big grin I know I go up and down in a range of about 4-5 pounds every month. It's a monthly thing. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

My weight has been fluctuating about 3-4 lbs (133 - 136.5) on a regular basis since I started running in April. My clothes fit the same, though, no matter how I fluctuate in weight. I mentioned it to my MD. She said that you will change/lose weight eventually, and no matter what, you are not going to gain a great deal of fat if you are running 3Xweek and eating somewhat decent foods. I know I am not the best eater, but I have tried to make little changes. I definitely don't eat fast food and limit processed stuff, etc. I think keeping active by running will eventually help me get smaller, and changing my diet drastically to get there faster will probably stress me (and/or DH) out more than it's worth. So, hang in there and keep plugging away. Muscle is sexier than fat no matter how much it weighs!!!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

More turtle than hare...

i'll wait a few days and weigh in the morning ...
                Personally, I found my scale fluctuates soooo much, even just depending on the time of day. I got sick of wondering what my "real" weight was, so now I only weigh myself in the morning, in my birthday suit, before breakfast, before a shower. I figure it's the lowest point I'll be at all day, so I take that as my "real" weight. Blush If I forget at that one single point of the day, I wait until tomorrow. That in itself means I usually only remember to do it a couple days per week, so things sort of evens out some of the ups and downs.
                theyapper

On the road again...

I've got a pretty serious goal for weight loss, and because of that I am very careful and methodical about when I do my "official" weigh-in. Sunday morning, as soon as I'm up and "emptied", and with no clothes. I know that some days I'll be more than others, but by weighing every week it kind of tempers the up and down aspect of the body's weight. The point is to be consistent about when you weigh, what you wear (or don't wear), and what you have eaten or not eaten, etc. It's also as important, if not more important, to be aware of how you feel. If we're learning nothing else as new runners, we are learning to listen to our bodies more than see a number on the scale. The fact that clothes are looser and people notice a change in our appearance is probably a better indicator than the scale of our progress. I am now down 13 pounds in about 4 months, but I'm 2 notches in on my belt and I'm wearing jeans that I couldn't wear before. It's safe to say that even if we don't lose much, we have significantly "reshaped" the bodies that we have. Keep up the good work.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

zzz

Y'all are so encouraging and I really appreciate it.... When I did weight watchers last year 50 lbs practically flew off but now since I've had the hysterectomy (which was partial not complete) the weight crept up and is all back but 5 lbs of it and now since I started running it's gone OVER what I weighed when I started last year!!! I mean it's great not having a visitor anymore at 36 but sheesh get this weight off.... I think I feel my body starting to respond... I move easier.... I am more flexible sort of and my pants aren't getting tighter which is good... excpet a bit in the legs and i sort of expected that, but I am just not used to being so discouraged.. and I know the wwaaaa-mbulance is coming my way and i am being a weenie whiner but sheesh LOL
                    MoonStar

Agree with theyapper66. I can never tell well if I am losing weight or not due to monthly cycles and fluid retention on a daily basis. 4 lbs a month variation can sometimes be a variation over a week for me. I have found that making sure that I am drinking plently of WATER helps me with this. I weighed myself today and am down to 251.6 from 262 as my high weight this spring - but was 262 really 262 or was it 258? Is 251 really 248? Who knows??? And more to the point - does it really matter as long as the scale keeps moving in the right direction over time? I haven't changed clothes sizes or anything like that - think at my weight I'll need alot more loss to make much of a noticeable difference - although my 6 year old tells me she thinks I look thinner when she is trying to be nice or get on my good side. Although my weight loss isn't dramatic, it is actually the best I have ever done with intentional weight loss. I lost maybe 6 lbs with weight watchers. Biggest difference this time is that I am EXERCISING and drinking water.
                      zzz

good for you moonstar.... i am happy for you!! i have to follow your lead and make sure i am getting enough water. ok i jumped on the scale this afternoon after eating etc etc drinking etc etc and it was down 4 lbs from where it was when i posted the first time.... going to jump on in the am which is when i weighed myself before and was so discouraged and see if it's good then too.... Smile maybe i was retaining water even though i don't get a visitor i still have pms symptoms....
                        theyapper

On the road again...

Agree with theyapper66
                          Sorry. I just thought that was worth quoting. Big grin Great job on the weight loss, moonstar and turtlechick. TC, I bet you were relieved to see those 4 pounds gone! How'd your weigh in go this AM?

Paul

zzz

Today was awesome it is officially down 7 lbs.... yipppeeeee!!!!!

running buddies

Sometimes I'm afraid PMS is a myth, and this is my real personality (and weight)! Wink (I wish I could take credit for that statement, but I read it somewhere - I think on a greeting card. I added the weight part)
                              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                              theyapper

On the road again...

Today was awesome it is officially down 7 lbs.... yipppeeeee!!!!!
                                Ahhhh. The relief you must have felt. Great job.

Paul