Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 6/12-6/18 (Read 362 times)

Ran week W8D3 of C25K on the trail with Copper.  The trail is great for my body because it's soft but it's very flat.  I need to run a route with some hills.  I'm starting to think about entering a 5K in July. 

W3D2 done.  Beautiful day out. 70 degrees and a little breezy.  Still feeling better every time I get out and run.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Giant Flaming Dork

Starting C25K tomorrow.  Can't wait to start running again.

http://xkcd.com/621/

W1D2 (a little late) in the pouring rain yesterday.  Left home it was 60° and cloudy, perfect running weather, then the sky opened up just as I started my first run interval.  The dog was not terribly impressed, but to be honest I'd rather run in the pouring rain than the heat and humidity of last week.  Looking forward to the next run on Wednesday!

2009 Goals:
          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
          Run a 10K
          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
          Complete my first Sprint Tri

Chup, go ahead and run that 5K!  You're ready.  Even better, can you find a 5K that your running buddy can join you?

DFFly, wish I had nice weather like that!  (Complaint alert!  Yucky nasty hot and humid here in the southeast).  Glad that you're getting stronger and gaining confidence.

Welcome, girmann!  I graduated the C25K in January after not running for 4 years (and getting fat along the way).  The hardest part is getting started.  How did it go your first day?

Jenner, I'd rather run in rain that the heat/humidity, too.  You feel like a real runner, too, to all the drivers going by that think you're nuts.  Good luck on finishing week 1 tomorrow!

Michele in NC

Ran W9D1 of C25K on the trail with the dog this drizzly morning.  Saw two deer that were making repeated loud snorting noises.  I've never seen that behavior before.  Weird.  Saw a rose-breasted grosbeak for the first time ever!  Had a pretty good run this morning and I also noted that I hit 60 miles since starting C25K!  Woot!

Sounds like lots of folks are hitting the pavement/trails this week.  I hope everyone is enjoying their workouts!

Giant Flaming Dork

Michele,

W1D1 went well, thanks for asking...

I'm actually starting over since I stopped running in April because of an injury.  It actually turned out to be many injuries...  I had minor tears in the iliopsoas and inflammation/adhesions in the piriformis and IT band.  

I figured that C25K would be the best way to get up and running again.  Still have a goal of a 10k (or maybe half) by the end of the year.  Weight loss is the primary goal, though.

Just finished W3D3.  The 3 minute sections were tough.  I think I'm just having an off day.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Chup, your last week, CONGRATS!!!!

Be careful, girmann...what led to your injuries last time (willing to share?).  Very good, got that first run over with.  Yay!

DigitalFirefly, I'm sorry you're having a tough time...can you slow down a little?  It may help you sustain the running portions.  You should be running very easy, not out of breath.  I've got to be the slowest runner on the planet...when I quit 4 years ago, I was nearly running 8 min/mi, but right now, in the heat/humidity, I'm running 14-15 min/mi...some people walk faster!  I'm waiting for fall...Cool

Michele in NC

Giant Flaming Dork

Be careful, girmann...what led to your injuries last time (willing to share?).  Very good, got that first run over with.  Yay!

Heh.  Yeah, I know how to injure myself, that's for sure.  Okay, so truth be told, I was on day 7 of Jilian Michaels 30 day shred.  I was running during the day and doing the workouts at night.  A little too much of a training load on my body.  I was doing the bicycle crunches at the end of the video when I tore the iliopsoas. Once the PT (Physical Therapist) had me on the table, she did a full workup, not just the issue I came in about.  The piriformis and IT band were "incidental findings", I didn't think I had any piriformis issues until she had to do the stretch.  Same thing with the IT band.  No pain, but she put me on the foam roller and the pain almost launched me through the roof.

Anyway, so that's my long sad injury story.  Day 2 of Week one coming up tomorrow.

girmann - Welcome to the group!  Sorry to read about your injuries.  C25K is an excellent, low risk plan (as you already knew).  Smile

Jennervt, DigitalFirefly, and Bianchilvr - Keep up the good work!   Cool

Suck it, W1D3, you're mine!  At 5:45 in the frickin morning, no less.  Planned to run yesterday afternoon but put it off and said, if I don't get up first thing and get it out of the way I'll find another excuse later.  Going to do one more run at W1 level before moving to W2. 

2009 Goals:
                          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                          Run a 10K
                          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                          Complete my first Sprint Tri

DigitalFirefly, I'm sorry you're having a tough time...can you slow down a little?  It may help you sustain the running portions.  You should be running very easy, not out of breath.  I've got to be the slowest runner on the planet...when I quit 4 years ago, I was nearly running 8 min/mi, but right now, in the heat/humidity, I'm running 14-15 min/mi...some people walk faster!  I'm waiting for fall...Cool

I think speed may be my problem.  Looking at my times, I'm at around a 11-13 minutes mile during the jogging sections.  When I do W4D1 tomorrow I think I'm going to slow my pace a little, maybe shoot for 13-15 to make sure I can finish it.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Ran W9D2 on the trail with Copper this morning.  It was great running weather but we didn't see much except for one deer. 

JennerVT - Way to power through W1!  Sometimes you have to let the pavement know who's the boss.  Smile

DigitalFirefly - I think you have a good plan.  The key to running faster is to run longer.  The key to running longer is to run slower.  If you need help, you can borrow my dog's philosophy; he always wants to go slower, enjoy the experience, water the flora.  Smile

Looks like tonight's run will be delayed until tomorrow due to thunderstorms.  Sad

Started c25k on 5/30/11