Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

C25K check-in, week of 9/17-9/23 (Read 227 times)

psycrunner

Just wondering how everyone else is doing..... I finished Week 3....still feeling good about my progress (and most importantly, about the absence of lingering pain in my toe!). I was able to throw in two "easy" runs along with the C25K training days last week and last night ran a full 3.1 miles without taking any walk breaks! I feel great about these new goals I'm meeting! Will run D1 of Week 4 today, before heading out of town for a quick business trip that will have me taking two consecutive rest days....hope everyone else has a great week!
    Carol
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Good morning, Carol. Smile I think I'm remembering that you're not exactly a new runner but are using the C25K program to help you recover from an injury and ease back into running. Is that right? I'm just a little concerned that you're jumping from 3 days a week with walk/run to 5 days a week that includes running without walking. You're doing so great on the program, but it's *designed* to be slow so that your body has time to adjust to the stresses you're putting on it. I know you're excited. It's hard not to be when things are going so well. Consider cutting back to 4 days/wk? At least for a few weeks? It would be a shame to lose any of the progress you've made. Last week, after having pain in my right foot, right knee, left knee, both shins, and a bit in the hips, I finally broke down and bought new shoes. Blush I can't get more than 200 miles out of a pair of shoes. Good thing I run so slowly - that means I get a lot more *hours* out of them than most other people with the same milage. Clowning around I ran in my new shoes on Saturday (after a few days off), and things were mostly better. I was impressed. I am hoping that it's not a fluke and I'll be able to run again this week. Goal for this week: 3 runs, about 10 miles, and no pain!

Roads were made for journeys...

psycrunner

Hi Janell-- You are remembering correctly re: my recovery from toe surgery. And I had some of the same concerns as you last night when I felt a little "twinge" in my shin during my run. I had a bout of minor shin splints when I ramped up my training for the Chicago marathon in 2006, and that little pain brought back memories. I just looked more closely at my log and noticed that I went from starting with 7.5 miles/week once I got cleared to run again, slowly up to 8.1, then 8.7 and this week--12.7! I think you might be right--maybe taking two consecutive rest days this week won't be such a bad idea. And you're right--I am excited, and I love running, and it's hard to rein myself in when I feel so good and see so much progress. But I do need to slow things down a little. The other challenge is trying to keep my daily exercise total in the 60-90 minute range so I can continue to lose weight.....guess I'll need to spend some of that time on the bike! Anyway, thanks for your concern and helping me take a closer look at my log! My goal this week: 4 runs, about 10 miles.... Big grin
        Carol