Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 14 - 20 (Read 437 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I signed up for the 20 Minute Challenge through the local Running Room store. They have regular group runs twice a week, but I haven't done those. It was a two mile run and I only have an approximate for the time; I checked a couple of minutes from the end on time with someone. (I forgot to start my timer.) I ran the whole thing; I'm really glad I did it because I think it's valuable to do a group run before you race just for the experience. I had a bit of trouble with pace near the start.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

W1D2 It was way easier for me. My mom was exhausted but that kept my pace in check. She walks 3 miles everyday with her friend so... I have to run at gymnastics but luckily nobody is very good and we walk a lot. It is so fun to log my runs. It feels so good to add another. Watching the mile go up. Big grin I was really sore from gymnastics but running actualyl helps that.
      Goals: Run.
        Goddess - There's no shame in having to repeat a workout (or a week for that matter) as long as you keep trying and making progress. Sometimes when I got upset about how slowly I was running or that I was having to repeat a week, I would remind myself that most 250 lb. 37 year olds don't decide to start running, and that I am essentially running with a 6th grader on my back whose weight would slow anyone down! Blush Keep up the good work.
        Well said Goddess. I remember trying to go too fast earlier on and I'm in a similar situation to you (but a bit heavier). I just thought I would try and run faster and ended up in pretty poor shape at the end of the run. Wingz pointed out that I have to work with the body I have not the one I want.
          Graduating. It's like a proper achievement. My colleague at work was even impressed with my progress. Nice ego boost (not that I needed too much of that!)
          theyapper

On the road again...

Graduating. It's like a proper achievement. My colleague at work was even impressed with my progress. Nice ego boost (not that I needed too much of that!)
            And over time, you may find that same colleague starting to run, too. It's contagious!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Tortoise

Graduating. It's like a proper achievement.
              meltchett - it's not *like* a proper achievement, it *is* a proper achievement. You should be so proud of yourself! (Not that you're not, but it can never be said too much!) I just finished W4D1. This is the point I've got to the other times I've tried to do the programme, right before I've quit. It's not going to happen this time. This is my determined face. Big grin
              "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

safkhet, you can't quit with all of us cheering you on! You are so close to halfway through. You can do it this time! Wink Olivia, it only gets better. Going slow at that start is only going to help as you get to longer run intervals. Remember, no one is measuring your speed except for you. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

The young Mama Bear!

First of all, thanks everyone! I'm sure you'll hear from me whenever it gets done. =P Meg, go you! I wouldn't be able to run with others, as their pace psychs me out, if that makes sense. That's great, Olivia. Just try and do the runs on days you don't have gymnatics. It's great cross-training, anyways.
                  Well said Goddess. I remember trying to go too fast earlier on and I'm in a similar situation to you (but a bit heavier). I just thought I would try and run faster and ended up in pretty poor shape at the end of the run. Wingz pointed out that I have to work with the body I have not the one I want.
                  That's true, meltchett. Being heavy creates this complex about running IMO. You want to run faster and don't realize that your body simply cannot. At least every pound lost makes running that much easier. Smile If I don't catch you before you graduate, consider this my official congratulations: CONGRATS!!!!! *cheers with pom poms* Big grin I think I'm coming down with something. My body is kind of achy, so I think I'm going to nix the run tomorrow if I wake up feeling the same way. I believe my friend was sick yesterday and I think she gave it to me. Undecided Besides, Sunday is a big moving day and I wouldn't be able to start W6 that day anyways. The whole thing is frustrating, because I haven't been sick in quite some time.
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  theyapper

On the road again...

Hope you feel better, goddess.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Goddess, getting sick is like an injury; sometimes you just have to take care of it and take it easy for a day before it gets worse and sidelines you even longer. And it's your moving day? Or are you helping friends?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

zzz

hey everyone just wanted to pop in say hello and great job to everyone!!! I just read through the posts!!! tonight has been a pretty sucky night... lauri and i have been repeating week 3 so that she could catch up and tonight during one of the 3 minute runs I STOPPED and walked for about 10 seconds and wanted to cry... I actually felt my eyes burning... I felt like such a weenie... night before last I was fine and now this... so discouraged.... I know that everyone has bad days but today just STUNK!! After we were done with the last walking portion I ended up running an extra minute just to have the run time in, but even right now telling everyone how much it sucked makes me feel like a baby.... I know that Saturday will probably be so much better and today is just an off day.... so anyway I hope nobody minds me be a sob for a few minutes... I feel better and saturday will be better.... I am so proud of everyone and hearing how great everything is going!! I can't wait to get to 20 minutes straight.... that will feel great I'm sure!!! Have a great Friday everyone!!!
                        theyapper

On the road again...

I know that everyone has bad days but today just STUNK!!
                          Aren't you glad that bad days only last for ... a day? Your next run will be much better. Good job adding that extra minute at the end. That proves how committed you are even on the bad runs.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, Yapper. And LOL at your avatar. CanadianMeg, you're right. I have to swallow my pride and sideline myself until my throat stops hurting and my nose stops getting stuffed up. I'm moving into my new apartment, so it'll be a long day of moving furniture. Joy! Dead Turtlechick, everyone has bad runs. The difference maker is how you react to those bad runs. You can vent it out all you want (it's natural), but will you be back out there in a day or so? If you do, I'd say you're a true runner. I've found that a huge part of running is mental, so if you get into the right mindset for your next run, I'm sure you'll be just fine. You might even laugh about it when you finish the program! Wink I hope everyone is doing well. Especially the newbies. Smile
                            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                              W1D2 of C25K accomplished. Ran with my golden retriever and the little stinker looks like he could have run forever. I suspect he's cultivated that "this is effortless" look to spite me for being so careful when measuring out his dog food.
                                W1D2 of C25K accomplished. Ran with my golden retriever and the little stinker looks like he could have run forever. I suspect he's cultivated that "this is effortless" look to spite me for being so careful when measuring out his dog food.
                                I've always that Couch to 5k has a completely different meaning to my dogs. What it means to them is, "Oh, I'm sleeping on the couch and now you want me to go run a 5k. Okay." Because, I'd bet that most of them could do that without any problem Smile My little dog, who could have run a 5k a long time ago, is patiently going through the human version of the program...which takes a bit longer!
                                ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer