Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 14 - 20 (Read 437 times)

Tortoise

I just got home from W4D2 - past the halfway point! It's warm out there today and I was sooo grateful for the midway point of my route, because that's where I hit the river and get some wind. This was the first run in my new shoes, and the difference is AMAZING! I no longer feel like I'm LITERALLY pounding my feet into the pavement.
    "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

zzz

Yep, that was the [sic] I saw that made me finally look it up. Of course, I wouldn't know if you spelled bocce right or not. Wink
      hah.... I didn't realize how to spell it until we got to the tournament and then realized how far off i was.... Smile had loads of fun though... makes me want to go out and buy a game set for here to play at home. great blog too btw... hey wingz does everything look about normal to you on my log re: what I am supposed to be doin? my times flucuate a lot... i don't think we're timing it right sometimes.
        Hi Everybody. Just reading through the posts...Wow!!! Inspiring stuff. Way to go Goddess. 20 mins will now be the minimum and the jumps up to 30 mins are well within your reach. It is such a massive step, so Big Congrats. Everyone else...too many to mention but you have all brought a big smile to my face this afternoon. I've just got back from W9 D3. That's it. I have completed the C25K. YAAAAAY! 2.72 miles in 30 mins - 11.05 minpermile. Not bad for a Doritos addict!
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sefkhet, I'm glad you are loving your new shoes. What kind did you get?
          hey wingz does everything look about normal to you on my log re: what I am supposed to be doin? my times flucuate a lot... i don't think we're timing it right sometimes.
          I know Wingz will check in on this, but I don't see a problem with your log. I think as a new runner your times will fluxuate; you might be slower on hot or very humid days, faster on days when you've had been sleep, etc. A lot of things can affect your speed. Try not to worry about it. Meltchett, congrats! And that's Doritos addict and runner! Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

Yapper - think you, and the fact the heat bothered me as much as it did yesterday, convinced me to go ahead to do the OHR program. At my speed I really need to build up my time so I have some cushion to be able to complete a 5K more easily even if it is way to hot for any sane person to be running.
            Moonstar - Probably a great decision. I've enjoyed OHR more than C25K mainly because it's all about time, not distance. I felt the push during the last few weeks of C25K to go faster, but with the OHR it's just about going longer. Not farther, not faster. And I'm finding what many runners already know - the longer you can run, the faster you can go. I don't think you'll be disappointed with OHR. Just run nice and easy.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

hey wingz does everything look about normal to you on my log re: what I am supposed to be doin? my times flucuate a lot... i don't think we're timing it right sometimes.
              I peeked at your log, too. There is a great deal of fluctuation in your times, but that's not a big deal. How are you timing it?

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

sefkhet - I love new shoes too. Big grin Have you started to amaze yourself yet? turtlechick - what I can see from your log's pretty limited - I can't see if you're hitting the start button on your watch when you start, and then again when you stop. If you are, you're timing it right. There are other ways, but that's the official Wingz Approved Method (tm) Tongue Seriously, though, it looks like you're doing fine. When I talk about "consistancy" in this context, I don't mean running the same speed every day. Like Meg and yapper said, there are a lot of things that affect how fast any one run is. The consistancy you need and are getting is in being regular with your training. Getting out there on a regular, consistant basis and putting forth a good but not extreme effort is what gets you the returns in the long run. Don't try to "beat" your times from previous days, just run as close as you can to a specific effort level - the one where you could still easily carry on a conversation but wouldn't really want to be singing. How fast that is will vary with heat, terrain, hydration, sleep, mood, and the phase of the moon, so don't sweat it. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. Smile meltchett - Whoot! Congrats on your graduation! Cool I'm swapping your name over to the "graduates" list. Not bad for a Doritos addict runner. Wink What's next?

Roads were made for journeys...

Tortoise

Sefkhet, I'm glad you are loving your new shoes. What kind did you get?
                  Saucony Progid Omni 6's, and I bought in-store. A little because the model I ended up with were on sale, a lot more because they were so awesome and thrilled to hear that I was doing the program and really wanted me to get a good pair of shoes, and in the end it just felt like the right thing to do. I've been running in ten-year-old adidas Sambas (yes, I know, I know...) and the idea of having support and cushioning is basically a foreign concept. It's amazing how much you don't notice the way you've been torturing your legs until you're not doing it anymore.
                  "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm glad to hear you bought in store that first time. I think it's worth it that first time, esp with the time they spend with you. Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

Wow, everybody here is amazing! ^^ Thanks for all the support, guys. Runners really are the best. Wink sefkhet, congrats! And yes, new (appropriate) shoes are lifesavers! turtlechick, looks about right. I think you can see my log, and it looks similar to yours. As the longer jogs come in, your mile times will slow down considerably. That's okay - you're pacing yourself! It'll come and go, but for now don't worry about it. Smile meltchett, thanks! CONGRATS!!!! *waves poms poms* You should get a big bag of Doritos tonight and celebrate! Cool Today was moving day, and even though I planned this as a 'no-workout' day, I was sweating for 3 hours. Oops! Hope everyone is dealing with the heat better than I did!
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                        Week One is done. It was a good run. The best part was jumping in the pool afterwards. Smile
                        Goals: Run.
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Week One is done. It was a good run. The best part was jumping in the pool afterwards. Smile
                          Big grin Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow, guys! It's been quite a week full of a ton of accomplishments! Can't wait for our next week of training.

Paul

I finally managed to get to the gym last Thursday and complete W8D1 Smile Felt great to get back to running after nearly a full week off due to working really late every day. And it was a fantastic run as far as TM running goes...I didn't overheat too badly like I've felt lately, I didn't have my HR monitor with me but I checked it a couple of times throughout the run and it was a little lower than it has been (which I find amazing since I haven't had a full 3 runs in a week in like a month). I'm really feeling like I'm in the final pushes of this program, and so looking forward to my 5K on August 30th! Meltchett, congrats! What a huge accomplishment! This week's schedule is much more sane, so I'm really looking forward to getting in 3 runs, which will put me (GASP) in the final week of C25K!!!!
                              2009 Goals:
                              PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                              Run a 10K
                              Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                              Complete my first Sprint Tri
                              theyapper

On the road again...

Great job, JennerVT! Isn't amazing how our bodies respond to time off for recovery? They always come back stronger.

Paul