Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Sept 28 - Oct 4 (Read 329 times)

Iang - You've chosen the best way to get back the sport! Because you have some miles under your feet, you may 'bounce back' quicker than you think, but don't push it! Jennicap - We have a lot in common. I have a mild allergy/asthma thing going on when I run outside. ( I am also a former smoker as wel)l. I don't think mine is exercise induced because I can run on my treadmill in my basement - 30 minutes no problem,...it's great. Then I get outside and it all tanks on me! I kept thinking it would get better in the fall, and I think it's not TOO bad in the early morning (before the air gets stirred up too much), but sometimes I think I should wear a mask or something? I dont' take medication - I've gotten a puffer here and there whenever I've been sick with bronchitis or something like that. I just find it much more difficult to breathe outside - I can get through it, but it's not easy! If it does not improve with more practice running outside, I will say something to my doc at my physical coming up in October I guess. Jenner - Thanks for sharing the article, I got a kick out of that!
    Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
      CyndiKo & Jennicap - Congratulations on finishing the C25K! Jenner - Thanks for the link to the article. It made me smile. iang - Welcome! I started Week 5 of the C25K today. It was suprisingly a lot easier today than Week 4 for me. I hope I can keep it up for the big increases in time this week. Big grin
        still moving along slowly. Did W9D1 today. went as usual. blahh
        Goals: Run.
          I had a bad run tonight. I only made it 1 mile before I started walking. I ran/walked for another half mile or so and mostly walked the rest of the way home.
          jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Jen - congratulations, graduate! orangetulipgrl - W5 is a major confidence booster. You will feel incredible after finishing that 20 minute run. oliviars22 - good job to keep getting out there. all4mineagain - we all have those bad days. The next one should be better. I finished OHR this morning in the cool 52 degree weather. Great run.

The young Mama Bear!

Welcome, iang999! Always nice to see some new runners around here. Stick around...we have cookies (and pasta). Big grin
              I just feel like it's happening a lot. I mean...is it possible that I am not meant to run more than 10 minutes at a time? Tongue
              Oh boy, every runner has those days/weeks/months. I had a two week span just recently where I could NOT make myself run more than a mile. The difference maker there was the fact that I kept plugging at it, keeping my head into it. My legs were ready to go but my mind wasn't. Then you'll find a day where you go above and beyond...and it's really sweet. You're smiling like a dummy and people are probably staring at you. Hey, everything works out eh? I promise you will have VERY good runs soon. Just keep at it! 4 miles today...~48 minutes. Last week I did 3 in ~37...so that's a slight improvement. Did my 5K in about 36 or 37 minutes, which is pretty good for me. This run was my long run for the week, and you know what? It was actually pleasant. I kept a pace where I knew I could sustain it for miles, and when I looked at the time I was stoked to see that that "slow" pace was a 12 min./mile! Mind you, I used to think 12 min./mile was fast when I was 210 pounds. 30 pounds lighter, and that's slow! I can't believe I even went that far without doing OHR...that plan a fellow runner made for me is working! It made me so excited, I am definitely in for a 10K sooner than later.
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
              erendis

goddess- it's so cool to see the difference that being fit brings, doesn't it? haven't run at all since thursday- got some sort of flu-like thing so i've been trying to take it easy and get over it faster. i'm itching to get out there again, and i'm terrified that the combination of being sick and weather getting cold will put back into couch-mode. it's happened before, but then i didn't have you guys to keep me in line!
                I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Good job, Grads! Cyndi, your before and after pics are great! Jenni, awesome job! Jenner, I think it's easy to slack after the race is over and sometimes you need the break. I'm sure when you get back out there, you'll feel good being out there again.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jb944 - Thanks for your comment about week 5. It's always in the back of my head that I'm going to be asked to do the 20 minutes (now it's in only 4 days) soon. Congrats on finishing the OHR! Big grin
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Orange, you are going to nail that 20 minute run and go into week 6 feeling great! It's a mental hurdle more than a physical one. Try not to be intimidated by it. It's not that much longer than the week5/day two run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Meg - Thanks for the pep talk. I'm going to be doing W5D2 this morning, and I feel ready for it. I'm sure everything's going to go well. I keep reminding myself how week 5 seemed so impossible to get to when I was on week 1, and now I'm here! Smile

The young Mama Bear!

Meg - Thanks for the pep talk. I'm going to be doing W5D2 this morning, and I feel ready for it. I'm sure everything's going to go well. I keep reminding myself how week 5 seemed so impossible to get to when I was on week 1, and now I'm here! Smile
                          W5D2 is harder than W5D3, and W6 is harder than W5. You'll be just fine, and save some energy for W6! Smile
                          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                            Wow, it looks like so many are doing so well this week!! It's good to know that others have been having tough runs too... it's good to know I'm not alone. I did my fist 30 minute run on Sept 19th, then I didn't run for a week. I was so busy traveling, and working it just didn't happen. Then I could feel myself slipping into that terrible thought habit of not wanting to run. So this week I have made myself run no matter what! So I finally finished my last 30 min run!! it went pretty well.I have been running 2.75 miles in the 30 min. I can't believe that I am technically done with the C25K, but I don't want to be considered a graduate until I run my first 5k on October 25th. So I am just going to cocentrate on running consistanly, not making excuses, and just feeling comfortable running 3.1 miles. Thanks everyone for all your advice and support. I know I wouldn't be at this point without all of you. I started this program in May, and I may have repeated every week at least twice, but I made it. Thanks!!! I love this group and everyone in it!! Smile
                            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

mimi - you don't have to complete the 5k to be a c25k graduate. Congratulations! And I think your comment is good for those still in the program - it may take more than 9 or 10 weeks, but the important thing is you stuck with it and DID finish. What's next?
                                thanks jb944! I think I'm going to run for 30 minutes for a little while and then I might try the OHR program... Wow, never thought I'd say that. Smile I just want to stay in shape and keep running throughout the winter so that come spring time I haven't lost what I've gained and then I can have a 5k filled summer. Maybe more...? We shall see where I get. I never thought I'd be able to run a half hour, so right now I'm not going to set any limitations for myself.