Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Sept 28 - Oct 4 (Read 329 times)

Hey people, I just joined the group at the suggestion of CanadianMeg. I'm not exactly new to running, I've been at it for about a year and a half; however, I've been battling a nasty case of shin splints the whole time. So after taking a number of corrective measures (e.g., custom orthotics, shin strengthening exercises), I've decided to start fresh with the C25K program in an effort to let my body catch up to my enthusiasm. Hopefully this time around I can build slowly and stay injury-free!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

erendis

welcome to the team, Jehu! remember to run easy, and take as much time getting through the program as you need- whatever it takes to make running enjoyable rather than painful!
      I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Jehu, we all come to this program from different experience levels. Shin splints can be nasty. I started to get them because of worn out shoes and thankfully was able to cut them short before they got too painful. I hope you find relief from them. This nine week program will give you good healing time and hopefully get you running painfree. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

W5D2 is harder than W5D3, and W6 is harder than W5. You'll be just fine, and save some energy for W6! Smile
          goddess - I sure hope so! I'm doing W5D3 tomorrow, and I didn't have any problems (but one nagging muscle that I apparently didn't stretch enough going into it) with the two 8-minute intervals on day 2. Tomorrow's about all I can think about. Tongue

Baby bean!

OMG, I feel like I'm going to be on week6 forever! Tongue Still having a hard time doing that 25 minute run. I've been doing this for 3 months between my own training and c25K. What the heck???

Goals:
            Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

erendis

OMG, I feel like I'm going to be on week6 forever! Tongue Still having a hard time doing that 25 minute run. I've been doing this for 3 months between my own training and c25K. What the heck???
              remember that week 7 is still more practice with 25min runs, so don't feel like it should be easy before you move on from week 6. the 25min run was still really challenging for me even when I moved on to week 8. it has alot to do with fitness level, I think- now that I've been running 3x a week for 5months, it's still a challenge to do 30min, but I think it's supposed to be challenging. You may just be running too fast- once you start running continuously for more than 20min, it can be easy or hard or impossible solely based on how fast you're running. This morning we did a little over 30 min, but it was still hard because I was trying to pick up the pace. When I finished c25k, 30min came to barely 2.3mi. Today we did 2.5mi. I guess what I'm trying to say is- you're building endurance right now, so slow down your running until you aren't feeling like hamburger meat at the end of 25min. It's not about being fast just yet, so to just take it easy and enjoy being outdoors.
              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                I finished week 5 this morning with my 20-minute run! Since I'm on a treadmill, I stayed at the same pace the whole 20 minutes, which was my goal, to not lower my speed but not go faster than I'm comfortable with. The realization hit me about a half hour later, when I broke down (from joy) listening to the song "Kyrie" of all things. Blush The key for me has been to keep it slow and steady for now, until I'm able to handle long times at a faster pace, trying not to burn out too soon. Have a great weekend everyone! Smile
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I finished week 5 this morning with my 20-minute run! Since I'm on a treadmill, I stayed at the same pace the whole 20 minutes, which was my goal, to not lower my speed but not go faster than I'm comfortable with. The realization hit me about a half hour later, when I broke down (from joy) listening to the song "Kyrie" of all things. Blush The key for me has been to keep it slow and steady for now, until I'm able to handle long times at a faster pace, trying not to burn out too soon. Have a great weekend everyone! Smile
                  Awesome! I love those times when I hit a breakthrough in understanding my own training. Sounds like you had one of those moments yourself. Running should be comfortable right now. No one knows how fast you are going so don't stress over it. Speed will come (as I keep telling myself) as you run more. Glad you are enjoying this!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.