Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread 4/20-26 (Read 301 times)

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by starting the new thread... Just did W3D1 and lived to tell about it Smile Definitely a step up from week 2, but I realized that I wasn't checking the clock until about 1:15 of each run segment--a dramatic improvement from week 1 when I was checking it about 10 seconds into the 1st run and wondering if it was broken because it seemed to be moving so slowly.
    colinw

Nice work PolePole. When I started C25K I was using a watch to time my intervals. I then found the podrunner podcasts for my ipod. They have music to keep you going, and have a little audip signal to tell you when to start and stop running. I was having a lot of trouble with the intervals using just my watch as I was always focused on it, but it was much easier when I started using the podcasts! Maybe just me!!!! I finished week7 and today will be Week 8, Day 2. The 28 min runs are tough but I am getting through them OK. On the weekend I did exactly 5k in about 29 mins, so I figure I am ahead of the training pace which says to do it in 35 mins. My goal was 5k in 30 mins so I am pretty pleased with the program and my progress!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

I havent done my run yet today but I agree about the podcasts! Keeps you from actually seeing the number and you can just concentrate on your breathing or the scenery or in my case not getting tripped by the dog Wink
        Yelie
        jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Nice job everyone. Today was W9D2 for me - but I stopped after 25 minutes. I obviously started out too fast and my legs were a bit tired from yesterday's bike ride. Will try again later this week. And I agree - the podcasts are the way to go.
          jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

W9D2 done today on the treadmill. One more day to go!
            gwhutch

w7d3 completed yesterday. Yesterday's run was not so good. It took the first 15 minutes to get my breathing under control and just about then my legs started to protest. The cooldown walk was quite painfull. Just 6 more runs before my first race.
                W6D1 done last night. Seemed really easy so lets hope the rest of the week goes the same! WOOT jb944 on almost being done!! What are your plans after you finish the program? gwhutch sorry your run wasnt so great but rest up and hopefully your next will be better!
                Yelie
                obiebyke

My One Hour Runner idea float seems to have bombed on the main board. Would it be ok with folks if I posted here for a while, just to be accountable to a group? If not, I understand.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

danea

Week 5 Day 1 completed yesterday! Obiebyke, go for it, as far as I'm concerned; I have high hopes of continuing on to something like that when I graduate C25K.
                    obiebyke

danea, that's your W5D1? You're booking it! You're going to be too fast for me when you graduate!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

MoonStar

Tried to go on to W5d3 - unwisely as I seem to either be dealing with a nasty cold - or allergies. Have head/chest full of clear gunk - making it harder to breath. Not a good day to try to do a first long run. I made it for 12 minutes and then decided to just walk the rest of the way and enjoy the beautiful blue sky. Have to remember I also worked late last night so I was trying to run after 6 hours instead of the 7.5 - 8 that I usually try to get. So I am trying to stay positive and am congratulating myself on getting moving today at all. Will either repeat W5d2 or try W5d3 again on Thursday - depending on allergy status. Have taken allergy meds for several days with minimal improvement. Confused
                          I did WK6D1 yesterday after 3 days off. Felt good and it was also my longest workout. Here's my Nike+ log. http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=runners,runs,753181568,runID,2094962476 Might get WK6D2 out of the way today so I can keep up with my regular routines of Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
                          danea

danea, that's your W5D1? You're booking it! You're going to be too fast for me when you graduate!
                            Hrm. Actually, I thought I'd logged my W5D1, but it didn't seem to take, if I did. What you saw was actually W4D3. W5D1 is up now, and slightly slower. For what it's worth, I'm leaving the cool-down time and distance off my logs, so that I can get a slightly more accurate grasp of my actual running pace, without that last walk muddying up the numbers. I'd leave off the warm-up, too, but I seem to find it much easier to remember where I stopped running than where I started. Smile But if it looks faster than most people at this point in the program, that may be why. In any case, thanks! I'm kind of surprised, myself. I'll really be interested to see what my pace is D3 this week, with my 20-min run, though I know I need to slow it down in order to make it through the whole 20 minutes. So, you've done the 4th Sunday race -- are there walkers, too, or is everyone running the whole thing? I'm considering whether I want to plan to sign up for May's race, which will be right at the end of my W9. I'm signed up for that See Jane Run race the following week, and that was supposed to be my first event, but maybe if I treat 4th Sunday as a regular workout....
                              So just got back from W6D2 and I found myself really pushing it today. It felt great. So I guess this is the point of no turning back being that there are no more interval workouts Shocked. It has been a great journey with you guys.
                                W6D2 is done! I'm pretty happy with myself as on the 20 min run I did 10 min out and 10 back....well today the first run was 10 out as well and I got a lil further than last time and felt a lil faster Big grin The breathing wasnt an issue after about 10 min again either so all in all a great run!
                                Yelie