Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 24 - Aug. 30th (Read 307 times)

I should have done W4d1 (Start2Run) today, but one of my friends came back from vacation, and wanted to join me. I hoped she would be able to skip at least week 1, because she has been hiking in the mountains during her vacation, so she isn't in a really bad condition, but she told me her left knee was aching, but nonetheless she wanted to run... So I didn't want to be the cause the injury would be agravated, and went back to week 1... And because she tends to run just a little bit faster than I do, maybe it isn't so bad to start all over.

Running in Belgium
    Ann

I completed Week 4 yesterday and needless to say, I can't believe I'm just about half way through already! Even better....on the last 5 minute interval, I was curious to see how long I could go and I ended up running 8 minutes. I probably could have squeezed out a couple more minutes, but it kind of felt like I was peeking at Christmas presents! Tongue At least I know I am ready for the 8 minute run in Week 5! I'm not sure who is the Keeper of The Charts at the moment, but I need to be updated to Week 5 (I think I'm still stuck in Week 2 on the chart!) I posted a Week 4 update pic on my blog - the changes are subtle, but definitely there!
      Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com

running buddies

Cyndi - the changes are definitely there! Congrats on the progress. And good job to your photographer. Wink I woke up to a hazy day - the weather said 93% humidity, but if you can actually SEE the water in the air, it must be closer to 100%... But, went out and did my scheduled run and it wasn't half bad. My next challenge is that we are going on a short vacation on Tuesday, and I will need to run while we're gone - I hope I can continue to get myself out there. I'm such a chicken about running where anyone will see me, and I won't have the dogs with me for moral support.
        "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

The young Mama Bear!

Haven't been able to run much at all, which is disappointing. I moved back from my suburbian home to my city campus life and I cannot find a decent place to run! Angry People who run on concrete - how in the heck can you do it? I tried and my shins were crying for mercy. I don't think I'll be doing it again if I can help it. Is it that much different from asphalt?
          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          erendis

Haven't been able to run much at all, which is disappointing. I moved back from my suburbian home to my city campus life and I cannot find a decent place to run! Angry People who run on concrete - how in the heck can you do it? I tried and my shins were crying for mercy. I don't think I'll be doing it again if I can help it. Is it that much different from asphalt?
            my handy dandy running guide claims that concrete is 3x harder than asphalt and should be avoided at all costs. does your school have a student gym? i know it's not as fun as outdoor running, but it's better than none at all. another option is to look up nearby parks and bike paths- they're runner friendly too! or.. does the school's outdoor track have a time of day that's open to students?
            I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
            theyapper

On the road again...

According to this article, concrete is 8x harder than asphalt and is the WORST surface to run or walk on. Shocked

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

W6D3 done! Went the whole way. 2.25 Miles.
                Goals: Run.

The young Mama Bear!

Holy... Shocked Okay, I'm never running on it ever again. I could barely jog 1/4 mile without wanting to stop. Erendis, there's a park about a mile or two away from my apartment but I don't have my bike until next Sunday. My school does have an indoor track but I find tracks mindnumbing. I guess I'll have to make due. Though now that I know how concrete is, I'm in love with asphalt (even though it's no pillow, either.) Ohhh, I have to tell you guys that I am possibly the most stubborn/girly runner ever. I went to my school's gym, found out it was closed but still wanted to run even though I had my handbag with me. So I just shoved it under my arm, grabbed my bottle of water and ran. It sucked hardcore and I probably looked like I stole someone's purse but I got a mini-run in! Big grin Everyone seems to be doing so well! Smile
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  zzz

have handbag will run..... LOL what an image... great job on getting the run in anyway!! I throw a temper tantrum when I even have to carry a water bottle.... so instead i use a camel back now.... concrete sucks yes it does.... we are in va beach area so out by the ocean we have a few state parks with trails lined with pillowy soft pine needles... y'all need to come out here to run. Ann-V you are giving in to a noble cause of helping a newbie runner... good for you!! You'll have a stronger base to move on to week 5 when you get back up to there. oliviars great job!!!
                    erendis

goddess- another thing you could look into is finding a running club in your city- they probably know all the good places to run, and maybe they carpool to the park! just ran w9 day1!! and it was the best run time i've had since the intervals stopped. having a pair of shoes that don't squash my big toe seems to have made a big difference. i'm betting my time will be even better when the humidity isn't so crushing. i didn't feel like i was outside of conversational pace, although the humidity did make me feel a bit nauseous towards the end of my run. MTA- oh! my husband decided he was going to start running again while i was trying out shoes. so he's been fitted and has a good pair of running sneakers and went for a run last night. he hasn't been able to run in a long while because his knee was bothering him, but i've been telling him about the training and stretching tips i've seen and how he should run slower, and he decided to give it a try!
                      I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                        Wow I always run on concrete. Maybe I should try something else. I finally got new shoes. Saucony Progrid Omni 6. Haven't run in them yet. My dad thinks he can run 2 miles easy even though he rarely exercises. I'm going to go with him and show him up. I just hope he's not right.
                        Goals: Run.
                        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm another one who isn't a fan of running on concrete. I run mostly on pavement although I have been running some routes lately which have a few sidewalks and a bit of gravel paths. Good mix isn't bad on a run. Smile Olivia, I hope you have an amazing run when you go out with your Dad. I know my Dad can outbike me, but that's time out on the bike. He's done a ton more of it. Erendis, very cool your husband is joining the running masses. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Day 1 Week 5 today....this was my favorite day so far! Dare I say...it was almost 'easy'???? I guess I need to save my steam for the 20 minute run coming on Day 3. Yikes. Shocked
                            Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Cyndi, this program paces you well and that's awesome you are feeling so good about it!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

OHR W1D1 done this morning. We started off too fast which hurt our overall distance, but recovered nicely in the middle to finish strong.
                                2008 Goals:
                                1. Finish C25K
                                2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                                3. Complete One Hour Runner